Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

TV producer wants participants

TV producer wants participants

Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile TV producer wants participants

Hello. I had this comment on my blog- anyone interested in appearing on tv (goodness knows why) should get in touch
Dear Jo,

I'm not sure I have been in contact with you before, I found your details on your blog, I hope you might be able to help me with my strange request!

I am a Producer working on a television show called House Hunters International which follows English speaking expats in their quest to purchase a house abroad. I am hoping to find English speaking expats to profile who have recently bought property in Hungary. I wonder if you or any expat contacts might be interested in getting involved?! Please find a little blurb about the show below:

House Hunters International is a half-hour program currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV). The program is a spin-off of the popular House Hunters and has spent the last several seasons exploring the idiosyncrasies of buying real estate in other countries. HHI is about a personal journey of discovery and the making of life-long dreams.

The series is designed to de-mystify the international home-buying process by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where buyers and their real estate agents tour 3 homes. At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different. A great deal of effort will be made to capture rich visuals and to provide sequences where viewers will be exposed to local vistas, traditions, lifestyles and architecture.

Please get in touch if you have any more questions about the show. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes and many thanks,

Michelle

Michelle James

ASSOCIATE PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS

1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300

[email protected]

www.leopardfilms.com
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV producer wants participants

Hi Jo, they contacted me about a year ago and I thought their methods ran counter to my morals.

You are paid a minimal amount which basically covers your flight to the UK - from where filming starts. You then fly to Hungary to "search" for your dream home, which in reality you have already purchased. Filming takes place at 3 or 4 properties, one being your own, the climax of the show is you deciding to buy "your already purchased" home.

I didn't see how on earth I could justify telling the children to lie for "5 minutes of fame"!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

What a swizz. As we rent it was never going to appeal to us- the idea of being on telly is just wrong anyways...
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I know. I did then wonder whether this happens on the UK relocation programs and mused over whether the "gullible" viewers realise it is a distortion of the truth.

Haven't got round to emailing yet (need another couple of days in the week!) but can you PM or email me as to whether you will still be around in 10-14 days as I might be out your way.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

That's great, I suppose they take the credit for suggesting the place you have already chosen yourself. In a way it could still be useful to go on it though, as you could make comments which might help others be better informed if considering a similar move. I've not seen many of those relocation or house buying programmes as they tend to be on during working hours but those I've seen seem to concentrate on upmarket houses with swimming pools etc. I don't think they would want to show a chap on his own like me buying a £20,000 house.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:32 am
I bite my thumb at thee

I've never seen the show, if I remember correctly, it was for American audiences. Imagine it would be HEAVILY scripted so not much chance to make a point on anything. Yes, got the feeling they were looking more for Budapest or up market Lakeside. You could always ask as you haven't bought yet so wouldn't be lying at all.