A Trip Out!

Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default A Trip Out!

As mentioned in the All Souls Thread,we thought we might go for a little wander yesterday from our new house in the Goricko National Park and have a look at the nearest town in Hungary to us.The weather was perfect so we did just that,its just ten miles from our door to the center of Szentgotthard,along a very rural road.We had passed through the town on a previous trip but not stopped to look around,as it was the day before All Souls the streets were full of wreath sellers which added a lot of colour and gave things a festive air ,we were pleased to see that the wreaths in Hungary have more character to them than here in Slo were they look very mass produced(its the craftworker in us).The use of all sorts of pine cones and moss make for some very cheerful products!!In spite of not a word of Hungarian,we had a delicious large bowl of pumkin soup,coffee and came home with a selection of great cream cakes from the bakery .We had a lovely morning out and it really felt like a mini holiday,and would reccommend a stroll around town to anyone passing through!Well I better get back to house rebuilding now!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Trip Out!

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
As mentioned in the All Souls Thread,we thought we might go for a little wander yesterday from our new house in the Goricko National Park and have a look at the nearest town in Hungary to us.The weather was perfect so we did just that,its just ten miles from our door to the center of Szentgotthard,along a very rural road.We had passed through the town on a previous trip but not stopped to look around,as it was the day before All Souls the streets were full of wreath sellers which added a lot of colour and gave things a festive air ,we were pleased to see that the wreaths in Hungary have more character to them than here in Slo were they look very mass produced(its the craftworker in us).The use of all sorts of pine cones and moss make for some very cheerful products!!In spite of not a word of Hungarian,we had a delicious large bowl of pumkin soup,coffee and came home with a selection of great cream cakes from the bakery .We had a lovely morning out and it really felt like a mini holiday,and would reccommend a stroll around town to anyone passing through!Well I better get back to house rebuilding now!
Sounds like a lovely day out, I agree the selling of wreaths and candles give it an almost Xmas like feeling. In fact, the first year we were here, we didn't understand what was going on and so thought that people were preparing early for Xmas
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

We bought a nice Xmas wreath from Lidl the other day, sale half price 999ft
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:46 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardmc
We bought a nice Xmas wreath from Lidl the other day, sale half price 999ft
LOL, I think they are the left over All Saints wreaths but they do just as well for Xmas so as well buying now - Nagykanizsa has them for 449ft (or 499ft) at the moment.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Trouble is it would cost petrol money to get there
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Seems a tad early for Christmas wreaths! Here you buy them just before the first Sunday in Advent,we have a friend who makes super ones useing every sort of nut,berry,pinecones and plant material and of course 4 candles,one for each Sunday!Before some else says it,they are of course for table use,not hanging on your front door.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
Seems a tad early for Christmas wreaths! Here you buy them just before the first Sunday in Advent,we have a friend who makes super ones useing every sort of nut,berry,pinecones and plant material and of course 4 candles,one for each Sunday!Before some else says it,they are of course for table use,not hanging on your front door.
Similar here, the ones sold now are the left over All Saints wreaths - hence being reduced in Lidl's. Do you have any pics of your friends, they sound lovely
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Sounds like a lovely day out, I agree the selling of wreaths and candles give it an almost Xmas like feeling. In fact, the first year we were here, we didn't understand what was going on and so thought that people were preparing early for Xmas
I will add a bit of snowy spray and hey presto
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by richardmc
I will add a bit of snowy spray and hey presto
It's the way to do it as guaranteed come December, they will be double the price!