Guttering

Old Mar 24th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guttering

I have worked on plastic and cast iron guttering in UK but never the galvanised steel type used in Hungary. I was looking at the parts in OBI this morning but was not sure how it fits together. Do the pieces just slide into each other or does one end have to be modified in some way? In particular, I can't see how the sections of downpipe are joined, as they look to be the same diameter at both ends. Are the guttering joins sealed with silicone or anything?
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guttering

The pieces slide into each other and the guttering is either pop riveted and sealed with silicone as it is riveted or soldered together. For soldering you need the 60/40 tin lead solder otherwise it doesn't work too well.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter. I did see some semicircular plates for terminating a length of guttering and had wondered if they needed to be soldered. If I can get some lead solder I might redo some of the soldered joints in my central heating plumbing as I don't really trust the lead free solder.

This also gives me an idea for my valley gutter between 2 gable roofs. This was constructed from several sheets of zinc flashing and was leaking at the joins. I did a temporary fix using a length of roofing felt but have been trying to buy a length of box profile roofing, about 5m long which I can form into a gutter shape. I used that material for several roofs in Scotland as there was a factory in Buckie, the nearest town. If I can't find a supplier for the box profile I might be able to solder the joints in the zinc flashing.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

You don't want to be using the lead free solder on guttering and the centeral heating plumbing shop is the wrong place to get the solder. Plumbing solder will only have about 10% tin and is the wrong solder to use. You should get the solder in the builders merchants that sell the guttering because they should have the correct type (60/40 as said above) or go to your local guttering fabricator (badogos) who will have the correct type and could re-fabricate the valley gutter if the worst case arises.