Trailer Tents

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trailer Tents

We are thinking of going to the UK to buy a trailer tent (can't find anything decent here). This of course means towing it back. Can anyone advise me on the legalities of owning a trailer tent in Hungary, insurance etc. I am aware that the trailer will have to have a mot here but not in the uk, how am I going to get around that to tow it back home here?
Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trailer Tents

Originally Posted by cathyg
We are thinking of going to the UK to buy a trailer tent (can't find anything decent here). This of course means towing it back. Can anyone advise me on the legalities of owning a trailer tent in Hungary, insurance etc. I am aware that the trailer will have to have a mot here but not in the uk, how am I going to get around that to tow it back home here?
Thanks
Hi cathyg, Do what I have Done Bring It over on UK Plates and if using it on a UK Car with same Number Plates no Problem I Have 6.5 meter 2 story Living in Caravan Conversion which all though is Legal, I Have UK Number Plates on It As it is Legally Allowed in UK, But Don so as can not get Build Permit digger47
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Digger

We will be bringing our Hungarian registered car to tow it back. I don't know whether to put a plate the same as our car?
Hope you are keeping well xx
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Digger

We will be bringing our Hungarian registered car to tow it back. I don't know whether to put a plate the same as our car?
Hope you are keeping well xx
Hi cathyg; If your car has two bracket on then it is Tested every Time as The Car, I Think the same as Would be the Trailer Tent, and not sure how to Register It.
So wear you Have Car Tested I am assuming that they will Do the Testing There.
Yes thanks ok over shortly for first and only visit this Year owing to Health problems digger47
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trailer tent/caravan - any different?

When I bought my caravan over the few inquiries I made confirmed what Digger has said. Put a GB/EU type number plate on it with the same details as the towing vehicle. Make sure its the rear facing number plate which is the yellow one I think.You will need the vehicle registration papers V5? to get the number plate. PITA

The towing vehicles insurance if you have any will extend to the caravan/trailer tent.

Keep the purchase papers with you in the car.

I don't go onto Ebay on Sunday afternoons anymore when drinking beer. I recently bought a ride on mower in the UK. I then had to buy a trailer and another car to bring it back. I put a piece of cardboard with the registration number written it, on the back of the trailer.

At the Slovenian border - strangely I always seems to have some bother there, I was pulled over at something like midnight by the local stassi. I had forgotten to think of the piece of cardboard in the rain!!!! They asked for the car papers which I didn't have. They didn't ask for the trailer papers which I did have nor did they look inside the trailer. I asked why I had been pulled over and the reply I got was that the car looked like it was stolen!!!!!! It has a cracked windscreen but otherwise in very good condition.
They took my drivers license and passport off to their car and after about 15 minutes while I was walking around bitching to myself and eating a sandwich, they called me over and handed the paperwork back. I asked if all was OK and was told it was not OK but with a shrug of the shoulders, the gun with a hip put the blue lights on and raced off after someone else.

Keep all the vehicle papers as well as those for whatever else you are towing/riding/ etc with you.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

In Hungary a trailer is a trailer. Its all the same if its a caravan, a trailer tent or a box trailer - the category is trailer.

Here trailers have their own identity (aka number plate) they have to have an MOT every 2 years and you have to pay road tax based on the all up weight of the trailer, which means it is costing money when parked in your drive. In my case my 2 ton gross weight trailer would pay more road tax than my long wheel base land rover (which weights a bit more than 2 ton!) Trailers also have their own insurance. In the UK your car is insured for you to tow and the trailer is covered for the third party damage as part of the car insurance. Because a Hungarian trailer has its own insurance your Hungarian car insurance would not cover damage done by the trailer (as far as I know)

When you import your trailer you will have to get it a Hungarian identity in much the same way as you would for a car.

IMO you should talk to your insurance co. to ask about 3rd. party cover for the trailer whilst you drive across Europe. ( think you should be ready for the suggestion that you get it transported rather than tow it - ouch!) Given that trailers have their own insurance it could be a problem if you don't know (and own) the trailer you intend to buy.

The trailer tent will I think need an EU certificate of conformity to show that it is constructed to an approved standard if you want any chance of getting a Hungarian identity for it. (No welding up boat trailers in the back garden like wot I used to do !!)

Perhaps you should talk to the vehicle licensing authority as well, just to find out what to do before you start.

A short while ago I was given a 500kg gross weight trailer without Hungarian plate and I was told by the office that the cost to get a number plate would be in the order of 60,000huf. I didn't bother and I just use it on the farm behind the tractor.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one from Holland second hand, the company made and fixed a number plate and also issued insurance and green card valid for 7 days.

The Dutch are camping fanatics so always a vast choice of used items.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
I bought one from Holland second hand, the company made and fixed a number plate and also issued insurance and green card valid for 7 days.

The Dutch are camping fanatics so always a vast choice of used items.
That was probably what we call a Zollkennzeichen aka "Customs plate" in Germany, you see it often on cars being transferred to Eastern Europe - you're on the safe side there with insurance etc.

What happens after that is your problem ...

The Hungarian authorities don't seem to care, you see so many cars in the back of the houses rotting away, I often wonder.
In Germany you have to prove that you disposed of an old car, sold it outside the country or got it dismantled and taken care of ...
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Something I have wondered about are static caravans. I have never seen any in Hungary, would that be because they would need to be registered? I've been told there is a system of trade plates, something like they have in UK. I would have thought that system might be used for towing an unregistered static caravan but perhaps not?

Last edited by fidobsa; Aug 1st 2017 at 3:10 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved over here I contacted a guy who was giving away a number of older static caravans, even offering to deliver them within a certain distance for free. I asked how much it would cost to transport 1 or 2 to Hungary. Unfortunately he never replied.
I think if you have the means to get one here it would be a great investment.
Edit: Just found this and for the money, with a little time spent could make a holiday rental: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/static-car...oAAOSwVbxZgELJ

Last edited by PaulinEger; Aug 1st 2017 at 5:29 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Personally, I would contact your Hungarian car insurance company and get their advice. Whatever advice given on this forum counts for nothing if someone needs to make a claim against you and your insurance company says the trailer is not covered.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with static caravans (aka mobile homes) is that thy have little insulation and when summer temperatures get to low 30s then they can be unbearable.

For transporting them, most of them are moved on low loaders as whilst they have wheels etc. this is more of a rule cheat rather than a realistic option of towing them any distance.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

These caravans are not designed for the extremes in temperatures that are experienced in Continental Europe.