Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Time your renovation

Time your renovation

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time your renovation

Just thought I would mention that it is worth checking with your local council if they do a yearly rubbish collection whereby they allow all households to dump furniture, wood, ovens, etc outside their normal dustbin. The dustbin men then take it away a few days later. This happens in the county of Csongrad (i.e. Szeged).

Also check if you are entitled to a one-off rubbish disposal allowance. I went to a rubbish dump in Szeged where I was told to fill in a form and show my address card and passport in order to dump leftover paints, etc. I was then told the allowance was one square meter; being a property owner in Szeged.

I thought I would mention this because I was unaware of both. So I was unlucky not to time my renovation when they did the yearly rubbish disposal (which would of got rid of the old, heavy, cast iron bath). I paid around £70 for a container (skip) to dispose of the bath, bathroom tiles, odd bits of kitchen cupboard, etc purely because I missed the yearly rubbish disposal.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time your renovation

I have seen people pile up unwanted stuff outside their properties in several villages and towns but never in my village. I still have stuff like an old TV set and fridge that were left in the barn by the previous owners. Presumably it is possible to take things to the rubbish dump at any time but you normally have to pay?

I suppose it does not bother the homeowners as long as the stuff is gone but I noticed that the Hungarian equivalent of Steptoe & Son will descend on an area before the council / waste company annual rubbish collection so some of it gets recycled in other ways.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know every village has an annual rubbish day when household items can be dumped. Building waste is generally not allowed (In order to get rid of an old window I had to break it up to bits of wood and glass) The local council will be able to tell you when it is scheduled.

Most areas will have official or unofficial recycling sites that will take white goods and metal. The chap I go to is a member of the ethnic minority and he pays me by the kg. the amount depends upon the type of materials. Usually the local advert papers have ads from those engaged in this business.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

The "lim-lom" as we call it inofficially is an important event - we get a notice from our Mayor every year that tells us what's allowed and what will be left ...

And of course anything that might still be used will be inspected by the dozens of people passing by before the collection - so our Mayor also told us to not put out the stuff too early.

Scrap metal is also collected and generally one might say that the handling and recycling of garbage has improved much in Hungary.

A bit OT:

When I bought that old farmhouse more than 15 years ago I was thinking of converting some smaller building into a garage or workshop but then the builder told me:
There has been a change in law! You'll have to pay for stuff like old tiles, windows etc if you bring them to the garbage next year - so better to tear that decrepit building down right now - which we did ...
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I have used the local council waste management site several times, it costs a pittance and is far better than having junk piled up in the yard for months.

But be warned that like every official department in Hungary the bureaucracy will get you if you let it, they will want to fill out a form in triplicate for all the items, so 3 forms for rubble, 3 forms for any white goods, 3 forms for any plastics,
Now we always say we are in a big hurry so can we just give him the money and dump and run and he can do the paperwork later. Result a small price and no hassle. win win.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Now we always say we are in a big hurry so can we just give him the money and dump and run and he can do the paperwork later. Result a small price and no hassle. win win.
Hmm, the cynic in me wonders where the money goes and if the paperwork ever gets done
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Hmm, the cynic in me wonders where the money goes and if the paperwork ever gets done
I'm not asking as long as I don't have to spend ages on pointless paperwork.