Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Thought. As an Östermelö would I need a work permit after Brexit?

Thought. As an Östermelö would I need a work permit after Brexit?

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thought. As an Östermelö would I need a work permit after Brexit?

I've just had a thought whether I would need to look into a Work Permit after Brexit as an Östermelö? I know it does have different regulations to other small business types just for added fun. I will assume no deal and so being self employed will naturally fall into problems.

Someone said I may need to save up for a lawyer and I think they may be right. Might be an idea to have a chat with some legal types over this.

I know I would have issues doing any other work locally for other people as the hassle would be too much so I know I am going to have to be full time I think if this would be required.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought. As an Östermelö would I need a work permit after Brexit?

I have this book
https://www.waterstones.com/book/dir.../9781612430539
Tomorrow I'll add the other books I have.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

? Sorry posted wrong place
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Posted wrong place!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

?
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
?
I think your computer is being funny........
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Have sent an email to the Immigration Office. We will see what sort of reply I get. I think we now have to start considering that the UK government is totally untrustworthy and it may be time to start looking for a good lawyer and gathering the info.

The information I can find online are largely based on either being directly employed by a company or self employed but operating as a Kft as far as I can ascertain. No mention of what happens if you are already here and an Őstermelő.....
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jetsam1
I think your computer is being funny........
I was watching a film at the same time and just wasn't concentrating
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Have sent an email to the Immigration Office. We will see what sort of reply I get. I think we now have to start considering that the UK government is totally untrustworthy and it may be time to start looking for a good lawyer and gathering the info.

The information I can find online are largely based on either being directly employed by a company or self employed but operating as a Kft as far as I can ascertain. No mention of what happens if you are already here and an Őstermelő.....
The problem is that, until everything is signed and sealed and the transition period is over no-one has any idea of what, if anything, is going to be needed or happen.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The problem is that, until everything is signed and sealed and the transition period is over no-one has any idea of what, if anything, is going to be needed or happen.
I know. But I was thinking as immigration is the responsability of member states that the Hungarian authorities might have some idea. Anyway seems sensible to find out what you would need to do as a citizen of non-EU country.

I have no particular desire to suddenly find myself getting deported!!! As we said no-one knows, but it is clear as day that British politicians are not to be trusted.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I've just had a thought whether I would need to look into a Work Permit after Brexit as an Östermelö? I know it does have different regulations to other small business types just for added fun. I will assume no deal and so being self employed will naturally fall into problems.

Someone said I may need to save up for a lawyer and I think they may be right. Might be an idea to have a chat with some legal types over this.

I know I would have issues doing any other work locally for other people as the hassle would be too much so I know I am going to have to be full time I think if this would be required.
I think that any change is going to be some time yet, maybe 1-3 years and the issues are not yet clear so at the moment no one can give advice about what to do simply because no one knows.

Having said that I can not imagine the situation that from one day to the next Brits will be told to leave within 24 or 48 hours. What ever system is put into place there will be a time allowed for implementation where all will have the opportunity to apply for any scheme available at the time.

You will have an advantage (if any is needed) because you will be gainfully employed as an Östermelö, (keep good income records showing at least minimum salary) and you have a Hungarian wife which will give some family status. Your situation will be better than say a Brit living in Budapest, doing distance working for a UK company and not paying Hungarian TB - now they could have a problem!!

When we came here Hungary was not in the EU, we filled in all the forms via the embassy in London without the need for any legal help. And that was at a time when bureaucracy was a lot worse than it is today (believe it!)

I can not imagine that what ever process is invented for Brits that it will be any more than form filling for those who can demonstrate a life here and have a record of paying Hungarian tax and TB
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I know. But I was thinking as immigration is the responsability of member states that the Hungarian authorities might have some idea. Anyway seems sensible to find out what you would need to do as a citizen of non-EU country.

I have no particular desire to suddenly find myself getting deported!!! As we said no-one knows, but it is clear as day that British politicians are not to be trusted.
I suspect most members States are waiting to see what the British Govt. does, particularly in respect of EU citizens in the UK. Therein lies the problem, the British Govt.!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I think that any change is going to be some time yet, maybe 1-3 years and the issues are not yet clear so at the moment no one can give advice about what to do simply because no one knows.

Having said that I can not imagine the situation that from one day to the next Brits will be told to leave within 24 or 48 hours. What ever system is put into place there will be a time allowed for implementation where all will have the opportunity to apply for any scheme available at the time.

You will have an advantage (if any is needed) because you will be gainfully employed as an Östermelö, (keep good income records showing at least minimum salary) and you have a Hungarian wife which will give some family status. Your situation will be better than say a Brit living in Budapest, doing distance working for a UK company and not paying Hungarian TB - now they could have a problem!!

When we came here Hungary was not in the EU, we filled in all the forms via the embassy in London without the need for any legal help. And that was at a time when bureaucracy was a lot worse than it is today (believe it!)

I can not imagine that what ever process is invented for Brits that it will be any more than form filling for those who can demonstrate a life here and have a record of paying Hungarian tax and TB
Yep need to at least triple the number of hives this year (annoying that my elbow has given up) and the official minimum for being self sufficient is apparently 80 families. At least by the end of this winter we will have weeded out the weaker ones. Last year was a little bit disastrous...... It's annoying that rental income isn't counted as I would have been golden! I just hate uncertainty and the feeling that we are about to be screwed over through no fault of our own. We are only coming into the second year of it being an independent business, and the 29th of March is not far away..... With noises coming from the cabinet that the first round agreement may be thrown away as May really can't help herself over free movement. So I will not hold my breath over there being a transition.

However do we trust FIDESZ? They can't seem to be able to keep the same rules from minute to minute. If they decide to prevent foreigners from being őetermelő? It is getting silly the amount of stuff that we need to get done by the end of the year. Indeed it may be too much.........
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and don't forget that dear Nigel F. was talking support for a second referendum recently !!

However do we trust FIDESZ? Hmm. IMO A case of the least worst. The country is a lot better now than it was with the other lot. (just IMO)
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Jetsam, I think you needn't worry!

Hungary needs "working people" - there's already a shortage of qualified workers in construction, hotels and restaurants.
And I remember that even 15 years ago (before Hungary joined the EU) friends who came here to do business had no problem - just the "paper war" was a bit tedious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.