Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Sunday closing U-turn.

Sunday closing U-turn.

Old Apr 15th 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sunday closing U-turn.

Sachina's thread from a year ago relating to the introduction of Sunday closing is now closed.
I believe this ruling has now been overturned and we will revert to supermarkets etc being open on a Sunday in future.

Can anyone confirm this is true?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunday closing U-turn.

Yes, maybe already on the 24th of April - if they want to open ...

There might be problems because the 100% extra pay rule has also been revoked, so people might go on strike if the employers don't offer enough.

PS and a bit OT:

The internet is full of jokes on the Hungarian government because of this ...
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

My wife just read on index.hu that at least Auchan, Aldi and Tesco will open some or all their shops tomorrow!

Lidl probably not - "our" shop in Keszthely was extremely well visited today, but that might be because the other is being refurbished until the end of April ...
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've just taken a look on the Auchan and Tesco websites and most of their stores will be open from tomorrow.

It's actually very convenient for me as I take my dogs to training in Miskolc every Sunday morning so providing the weather's not too hot I can do my shopping on the way back and it saves me the 120 km round trip if I have to shop during the week!
Old Apr 16th 2016, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina, congratulations on your "efficiency" - combining work and pleasure!

A bit OT:
Since there is no Auchan near Keszthely (but plenty of Aldi, Lidl, Interspar, Penny, Tesco and our local chain Z&D which also often has special offers on large packages - they mainly serve restaurants and bars ...) I've never been to Auchan.

Is it worthwhile? Some people told horror stories about their quality ...
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Wolfi, Auchan is French owned and the isles in my local one are organised with true Gallic disregard of any sense of logic.
Which may be a clever sales ploy to keep you walking around for longer to find everything you want, and quite a few things you didn't think you wanted when you entered.

O.T.
Ever noticed how slow some supermarket auto doors are to open? This is apparently a deliberate ploy to slow you down from a street walking pace to a browsing pace, is it true? not a clue, but my Penny and Lidl both seem to be embracing the concept.

Sachina, you really must live out in the wilds! 60kms each way to do the shopping! Tesco is 2 kms from me and Lidl and Penny are less than 1km.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Wolfi, Auchan is French owned and the isles in my local one are organised with true Gallic disregard of any sense of logic.
Which may be a clever sales ploy to keep you walking around for longer to find everything you want, and quite a few things you didn't think you wanted when you entered.

O.T.
Ever noticed how slow some supermarket auto doors are to open? This is apparently a deliberate ploy to slow you down from a street walking pace to a browsing pace, is it true? not a clue, but my Penny and Lidl both seem to be embracing the concept.

Sachina, you really must live out in the wilds! 60kms each way to do the shopping! Tesco is 2 kms from me and Lidl and Penny are less than 1km.
I live in a remote village in North Eastern Hungary with only 65 inhabitants, no shops or pub. It's 12 kms to the nearest shop and 20kms to my local town where there's a large Spar and a couple of Coops.

We do have our own free mini taxi and driver who'll do your shopping for you, and several mobile grocers who call on a regular basis. Being an accepted member of the village community I'm given loads of freebies, like meat, veggies, seeds and plants for the garden as well as any help should I need it.

I don't normally shop at Lidl as it's the other side of Miskolc to me and because the only Penny M is on the outskirts I might as well drive the few extra kms and shop at Auchan! I like Auchan's own products but maybe I'm biased because my family is half French! Their meat is cheaper than Tesco's and but as most is for my dogs it doesn't really matter.

Tesco's I go to when I want something British like marmalade or clothes or something special, but I also shop online a couple of times a year and order things like teabags from the British Foodstore Online where if you spend ÂŁ100 deliver it free to Hungary.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina, what would you do without the internet in that remote place?
Play with your dogs all day long? (Just kiddin')

Of course I remember, when I was much younger, these type of places also had a kind of attraction for me ...

Now, having retired we feel kind of safer that everything is available nearby, even the airport - if only SOB (nice name for an airport btw ...) would be used by more airlines!

PS:

Just looked up Auchan and realised that they're concentrated in the East (besides Budapest) - the nearest really is Székesfehérvár ...
Maybe the Spar/Interspar competition from Austria is too much for them here in the West?

Last edited by wolfi; Apr 17th 2016 at 4:11 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco being open yesterday was a real bonus as we needed some extra goods for a bogrács that we decided to have. My wife drove to the next village where there's quite a large CO-OP but that was closed. I didn't notice if OBI was open whilst we were in Eger though,
I hated the shops being closed on Sundays as sometimes there are things that you need at the last minute but can't couldn't get.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

almafak is an unknown quantity at this point

The circus had been performing outside the Nagykanizsa Tesco hypermarket over the weekend. The shop opened on Sunday morning and a zebra tried to enter, having escaped from the corral.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Now that's a 'bar code' that would confuse the check-out!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by duztee
Now that's a 'bar code' that would confuse the check-out!
"Unexpected item in the bagging area"
Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

clive bradbury is an unknown quantity at this point

OBI in Eger is open on Sundays now.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Kesthely "everything" is open on Sunday, at least in the holiday season and it will most probably stay like this - because for many people this is the only day when they can do shopping ...
Old Jul 26th 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

All the supermarkets, shopping malls and OBI, Praktika, Jysk and Mobilex are open on a Sunday in Miskolc, and also the supermarkets in the smaller towns on the way there.