Reload this Page >

Stop over suggestions

Stop over suggestions

Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stop over suggestions

Hi all.

Looking for a few stop over suggestion for next weekend. Last time I drove from UK to Zala pretty much straight through. We were in a hurry to meet a deadline in Hungary that time. 27 hours with the odd very short naps and stops for tea. One driver as my Mrs does not drive yet and I dont want to do that this time.

This trip its with a different car and it will really be loaded so a lot slower.

It looks like in the region of Frankfurt is about half way, so looking for a sleep over place around there. Not a dive, quiet-ish and wont break the bank. I know its a subjective topic. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

GBA
Old Aug 7th 2016, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop over suggestions

Which Autobahn will you be using?

The surroundings of Frankfurt as a business center are not cheap, so I'd suggest either before Frankfurt (where there's wine ...) or after, somewhere in Bavaria (where they have good beer ...).
Old Aug 7th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Wolfi.

It will most likely be the A3. Its a bit difficult to plan properly as it depends on ferry delays as well as the Dover traffic delays.

GBA
Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

stargate1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi GBA77.. I don't know of any specific accommodation venues in the Frankfürt area, but I would suggest stopping south of Frankfürt that way you should miss all the rush hour traffic going into Frankfürt in the morning. Wolfi is correct. The beer is very palatable in Baveria. I would try about 20Kms south of Frankfürt, come off the autobahn near a town and there you are sure to find a Hotel,B and B,,(Zimmer frei) etc... Set your GPS to show accommodation venues.

Have a good and safe journey.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're using the A3 try to get past Hanau in the direction of Aschaffenburg or even Würzburg, in any small town you should find a "Gasthaus" i e restaurant with rooms ...

Have a safe trip!
Old Aug 7th 2016, 11:28 am
Just Joined

blackwaterman is an unknown quantity at this point

I recommend the Parkhotel, Frankfurt-Rodermark. I drive annually to Hungary and this was the best place I've stayed at. A little way off the motorway, but well worth it for the peace, quiet and nice surroundings. Big enough to meet most people's requirements and easy to find too.
My next stopover was usually in Ansfelden, Austria (but I'm the only, aged, driver!)
Old Aug 7th 2016, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, the Park Hotel looks good - here's the address (including all those pesky umlauts ) :

Nieder-Röder-Straße 24, 63322 Rödermark

It's east of Frankfurt, as I recommended, though maybe a bit more expensive than a Gasthaus ...

You'll find it via booking.com or other sites
Old Aug 7th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

The last time we drove to the UK and back we used AirBnB. We stayed in some delightful places so I would really recommend it. We were travelling with our elderly dog too...and that was no problem. Much cheaper and more convenient than using hotels in my experience.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

GBA77
Old Aug 8th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to do 2 stops but I do have further to drive in UK than most people as my cottage is over 600 miles from Dover. I have used Couchsurfing for a couple of trips but that was not an option as I had the dog with me last time. To avoid Austria I went via Slovakia / Czech republic last time and found a cheap, dog friendly hotel. I had planned on camping in a tent but the season is quite short in mainland Europe and even campsites listed as open all year were closed (this was October 2014). The Formule 1 hotels are handy for the motorways and quite cheap but traffic noise can sometimes be a problem.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

if on A3 we use Dream Inn Von-Heyden-Strasse 12, 93105 Tegernheim, Germany after an overnight ferry its 9hrs from port
comming back we use Ibis Aire Autoroutière Frontalière Lichtenbusch, 4730 Raeren, Belgium its 3and half hours from port good thing about these two you can cancel on day of arrival upto 5pm should you be delayed or make better than expected progress
Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.

GBA
Old Aug 8th 2016, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

kohoutek is an unknown quantity at this point

We usually stop over at Holiday Inn Express Nuernberg-Schwabach, Schwabach. Germany
Excellent/clean/polite/friendly and eat as much as you like breakfast

Michael/Julie
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. Eventually booked at Park Hotel - both ways. Comfortable and the beer is good.

I will try some of the other suggestions when I go back November/December.

GBA