Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Marrow Marrow wear are you hidding I seak them hear I seek them there and now barrow load of to work I go cutting 15 to 20 week on the choping board, so many for Palka some for stuffing with meats others veg/marrow stacks all the ones witch are stufft for frezzing.
Now that the Runer Beans started there way to the frezzer allong with other crops thar have finshed Broad Bean. Dwarf French Bean. Peas abought 20 kg of each to see through till next year. So thats it so Plenty of Marrows Spare the Bush ones will start shortly
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hey digger, pleased to hear your cropping well - 20kg of peas, that's a good harvest! How are your tomatoes going? Mine are struggling this year
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hey digger, pleased to hear your cropping well - 20kg of peas, that's a good harvest! How are your tomatoes going? Mine are struggling this year
Tom,s well wear do we start, sowing AllisCreag FAILD so I had to find what I could some from OBI and local Market others from my frend on next plot, I have a bad habbit of getting to many, but no problems execept for some with neck rot witch is lake of wattering, cleard one bed out of Polytunnel mid June now standing. But I Rembered one thing in uk I had a lot of Problems when we had a heat wave same as uk now, I lost a lot,not to lake of wattering but Thermal Budding, that is the high temp induces early maturety, so ever since then never grown tall veryts of every think, this year for instance as experement Broad Bean one row in mid of bed Bunyards exerbition outer Suttons Dwarf I was wright Bunnyards once flower set beans started but only 50 percent of sten had beans but Suttons wear loaded, my Problem will be to many Marrows
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I could do with you here, digger! My first attempt at a veg patch has been an almost total failure. I have a superb crop of weeds that would win prizes but everything I sowed either didn't come up or is feeble or unhealthy. The cucumber leaves were devastated by caterpillars so I'm just left with bare stalks; the carrots and parsnips have thin, droopy foliage that gets stuck to the soil when I water; the potatoes grew very "leggy" so the stalks are partly lying on the ground; no sign of the radishes or sweetcorn.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digger47
Tom,s well wear do we start, sowing AllisCreag FAILD
Likewise, I had a mix from various places plus some self sown but been so busy the watering has been somewhat neglected and have a lot of die back. Self sown are a bit later so might do better. Paprika and cabbages are great as are the potatoes and the aubergines have just starting fruiting in abundance so fingers crossed. Salad crops haven't been good either though that's probably my lack of watering
Old Jul 18th 2013, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok then lets start the beging ok my speling is rubbish same as the Plot when I first started the plot was a Jungle clearing 1700 m2 on a Hill Side first strime down allowed to weed up hit hard with Roundup again again for the first 2 years will I was rebuilding the Property, so then the start rotaveter brockn down got new one its a Dream all I Sown was Green Muner Musterd Mustár and Whiet Clover Fehérhere avable from KertDoctor www.kertimag.hu on line order use web to calclate amount uk price at least 30 percent higher. So seeds well the same website all so offers them, yes Get every think early to give them a good start rember the plat roots first proved ankerge to stop it being de rutted and then the fine hair like roots draws not omly water but thay abstract all the minarsls to produce a health plant all ong with sun light shadding is inportant I grow Helanthus Earthwalker to not only to proved shad but to pomote Bees ect. for Pollation god look God digging
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:01 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Agree, no easy solution, you just have to keep working at it - bindweed is my worst enemy and it comes back time and again.
Whilst on the subject of weeds, noticed a huge amount of Japanese knot weed about this year, whole fields of it in some places
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:52 am
rgl
Just Joined

rgl is on a distinguished road

A little bindweed light relief but probably very little help unless you are in a similar position to the last person to leave a comment on this blog post.

http://www.happysimpleliving.com/201...n-your-garden/

Fascinating stuff bindweed. This company is selling it for 120 dollars a bottle after supposedly removing the harmful alkaloids. http://www.allergyresearchgroup.com/...aps-p-249.html. But this organisation is claiming numerous health and other benefits from bindweed without mentioning the harmful alkaloids. http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com.../bindweed.html

It might turn up on the recipe thread after I have looked into the "In certain parts of Asia, the tender shoots and leaves of the bindweed plant are also used for culinary purposes." claim.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We have some scarlet runner beans that just won't set. We've tried spraying the flowers with water during the day and they are getting enough water otherwise.
Any clues as to how to make the flowers set? Otherwise its no runner beans this winter. Could it just be too hot for them? Other veggies inc. other types of beans seem to be OK.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:16 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Any clues as to how to make the flowers set? Otherwise its no runner beans this winter. Could it just be too hot for them? Other veggies inc. other types of beans seem to be OK.
Hi Peter, have a read here seems that heat and day length can affect the setting time than other beans and can also be sensitive to the heat. Good luck with them.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Peter, have a read here seems that heat and day length can affect the setting time than other beans and can also be sensitive to the heat. Good luck with them.
I have had same Problems I will refer to preves post I am now sure that Thermal Budding or premautre Growth in UK they are just starting cropping runner bean Check out on the Net I now pulled out Runner Bean given up Shadding Next Yeatr to held solve the problem
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

The very hot weather has certainly affected the setting of scarlet runners flowers.
I have managed to freeze 20 2kg bags so far but I don't expect much else until the weather cools. Like last year, I am expecting a late flurry of decent beans.

Regards,

Last edited by Notalab; Aug 8th 2013 at 8:25 pm. Reason: typos
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I never grew beans this year or last. The year before I did and the children weren't keen.
My persistent, Jerusalem artichokes have come up yet again and nobody likes them. Yet my globe artichokes, which everybody loves, have not flowered - maybe next year!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like someone poisoned my veg patch when I was away in UK for a funeral. I noticed it was muddy when I went to do the watering after I got back. I thought nothing about it, assuming my next door neighbours had been hosing down their yard and the water drained off to my land. The next time I watered I noticed the potato plants were shrivelling up. Again I thought nothing about it. I'm new to growing veg so I thought perhaps they do that when the crop is ready to harvest. This afternoon I decided to dig up the potatoes to see what there is. I know in UK it is normally October but I thought they must come earlier in Hungary. When I took a closer look I found everything is dead in the area that looked muddy and there is a slimy deposit on the soil which is flaking off as it dries out. The potatoes are mostly about the size of grapes, so they probably were meant to go on growing until October.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

hmmm, strange, can you post some pics - my potatoes died back a while ago though I got them in early and they were prone to lack of watering, being in the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.