Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Trays of various seedling in the kitchen at the moment though many going leggy, should really put them in the mini greenhouse outside but don't have the time to set it up

Hope to get onions, peas and potatoes in this week - a bit late but hey ho.
Focusing on tomatoes, chilies, salad and paprikas this year as that is what we eat most of but also, some melons, aubergines and brassicas.
Wish I knew somebody with artichoke or asparagus crowns - might get my daughter to bring some over.
We planted Asparagus 4 years ago from seed and should be getting our first "mini" crop this year, we had some action last year and despite being a little sodden they seem to be doing well... Wish I could say the same for the strawberry field
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:13 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
We planted Asparagus 4 years ago from seed and should be getting our first "mini" crop this year, we had some action last year and despite being a little sodden they seem to be doing well... Wish I could say the same for the strawberry field
We have a bed of rampaging strawberry plants, only the unwanted Jerusalem artichokes are keeping them at bay - nightmare to get rid of. I planted some seeds the first year we were here but lost most things that year due to the weeds! Haven't tried again and so think I will order some plants this year for harvesting next year. Sorry to here you are flooded, thankfully, living on a hillside, our garden is quite dry albeit muddy. Exceptionally high water levels this year though, the number of floods we saw yesterday was quite unbelievable, some roads which we travel on regularly were flooded and we have never seen that before, water table levels are astoundingly high in low lying areas
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

We have a bed of rampaging strawberry plants, only the unwanted Jerusalem artichokes are keeping them at bay - nightmare to get rid of. I planted some seeds the first year we were here but lost most things that year due to the weeds! Haven't tried again and so think I will order some plants this year for harvesting next year. Sorry to here you are flooded, thankfully, living on a hillside, our garden is quite dry albeit muddy. Exceptionally high water levels this year though, the number of floods we saw yesterday was quite unbelievable, some roads which we travel on regularly were flooded and we have never seen that before, water table levels are astoundingly high in low lying areas
Thanks, we are not too bad there are many more in a worst position, our house is on a shallow ridge in the village but our planting plot slopes away and the far end is grand for ducks

I'm sure the Strawberries will bounce back, although a year without head scratching with what to do with 70KG of straberries, makes a lovely sweet wine
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we are not too bad there are many more in a worst position, our house is on a shallow ridge in the village but our planting plot slopes away and the far end is grand for ducks

I'm sure the Strawberries will bounce back, although a year without head scratching with what to do with 70KG of straberries, makes a lovely sweet wine
I was going to suggest strawberry wine but you have been there already

Strawberry Palinka?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

I was going to suggest strawberry wine but you have been there already

Strawberry Palinka?
Nooooo, pálinka is evil!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Nooooo, pálinka is evil!!!!
LOL, I am developing a taste for the pear Palinka though only on special occasions.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

LOL, I am developing a taste for the pear Palinka though only on special occasions.
I definitely have a taste for it... Usually lots of it and that is why it is evil
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi can anyone recommend some grass seed for under walnut trees. We have a massive tree in our garden. Internet recommends Kentucky Blue but I don't think we can get that here?
Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:09 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by cathyg
Hi can anyone recommend some grass seed for under walnut trees. We have a massive tree in our garden. Internet recommends Kentucky Blue but I don't think we can get that here?
Thanks
Grass, haha. Just looked under my walnut tree and there is nothing but moss and weeds
We have a big old walnut tree which shades a huge area in which weeds even struggle to grow.
What you are looking for is Poa pratensis but it might only be available as a mixture - which I guess might do? If you can't find locally, you can buy it here though only in a mixture and few of the mixtures have it in it - they do sell a shade tolerant grass seed which might suffice.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do with the walnuts? Eat them all yourself with family or give them away? My sister-in-law usually gets lots of walnuts as gifts and usually puts them in a jar and pours honey inside. They make a nice tasty snack but I don't think I'd like to receive the number of walnut gifts she receives .... I couldn't count the number of times this happens because I don't have enough fingers!!!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What do you do with the walnuts? Eat them all yourself with family or give them away? My sister-in-law usually gets lots of walnuts as gifts and usually puts them in a jar and pours honey inside. They make a nice tasty snack but I don't think I'd like to receive the number of walnut gifts she receives .... I couldn't count the number of times this happens because I don't have enough fingers!!!
We eat them but they also make good fire starters in the winter. My dog likes to eat them when she finds them in the garden but this can be toxic for pets if they go mouldy. Having said that I haven't met a Hungarian dog who doesn't like a good old chew on a walnut.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Never thought of firelighters!! I was burning books this year - long story little time.

I make yogurt, sweeten with honey, put in ramekins and top with walnuts and honey then freeze - gorgeous on a hot summers day. Fruit and nut loaves, cakes, salads, curries etc
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Grass, haha. Just looked under my walnut tree and there is nothing but moss and weeds
We have a big old walnut tree which shades a huge area in which weeds even struggle to grow.
What you are looking for is Poa pratensis but it might only be available as a mixture - which I guess might do? If you can't find locally, you can buy it here though only in a mixture and few of the mixtures have it in it - they do sell a shade tolerant grass seed which might suffice.
Thanks luckily bought Landscaper Pro Supreme near Veszprem which has 15% of the poa pratensis. It has hybrid bluegrass whatever that is! Most expensive grass seed in the garden centre but we will give it a go and see if it grows.
Not sure what we are going to do with all the walnuts, apparently we have loads of old shells in our loft which are presumably acting as some sort of insulation.
By the way should I be worried if we have any visitors who have nut allergies, obviously I am not going to feed them but I do not know if close proximity to nut trees is a problem?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cathyg
Thanks luckily bought Landscaper Pro Supreme near Veszprem which has 15% of the poa pratensis. It has hybrid bluegrass whatever that is! Most expensive grass seed in the garden centre but we will give it a go and see if it grows.
Not sure what we are going to do with all the walnuts, apparently we have loads of old shells in our loft which are presumably acting as some sort of insulation.
By the way should I be worried if we have any visitors who have nut allergies, obviously I am not going to feed them but I do not know if close proximity to nut trees is a problem?
My husband has a peanut allergy, and we have a walnut tree, so you should be fine...I haven't buried him yet.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Ditto, son peanut allergy and he is actually fine eating small amounts of tree nuts - the peanut (a member of the legume family) allergy sufferer is more likely to react to avocado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.