Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Will any type of marrow do, how strong is it and is it palatable
The best way describe this there are many articles on Marrow Rum, I left two things using Brown Sugar= a drink like Captain Morgan Dark Rum
White Sugar= a drink like Barceod white Rum
I forgot to add the Yeast mix 1 small Bred Yeast mix with I squeezer Orange
The drink it self is less powerful smell etc to Palica but just as strong,
It takes a good year to reach it's best, there is many other ways on the Net.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Went to buy grass seed and bought a plum tree!

Never let men shop on their own.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Went to buy grass seed and bought a plum tree!

Never let men shop on their own.
Easy mistake to make!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I have been gathering loads of special offer leaflets from the shops lately as I'm low on paper for lighting the range. I was flicking through them this morning before I went shopping. I saw in the OBI leaflet what looked like a gooseberry bush for 799 Ft. I always did well with my gooseberry bush in Scotland so I went to OBI to get one. I found raspberry, blackberry, redcurrent etc plants and grape vines but no gooseberry. I had the leaflet with me and so I consulted it to check. It turns out the 799 Ft plant is a white wine grape vine but they have put a photo of a gooseberry bush in the leaflet! If I had known grape was szőlő in Hungarian I would have realised it was a mistake.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had 333ft for every time I have seen an ad in a leaflet or on the internet here, or even a price on a stand in a chemist, and been charged more than it stated,or the item was no longer available at that price , I'd be rich!!

We have also been collecting the leaflets as we're short of paper for the log burner ha ha!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I have been gathering loads of special offer leaflets from the shops lately as I'm low on paper for lighting the range. I was flicking through them this morning before I went shopping. I saw in the OBI leaflet what looked like a gooseberry bush for 799 Ft. I always did well with my gooseberry bush in Scotland so I went to OBI to get one. I found raspberry, blackberry, redcurrent etc plants and grape vines but no gooseberry. I had the leaflet with me and so I consulted it to check. It turns out the 799 Ft plant is a white wine grape vine but they have put a photo of a gooseberry bush in the leaflet! If I had known grape was szőlő in Hungarian I would have realised it was a mistake.
Sounds relatively typical

You can get Gooseberry plants over here, we have a friend with a couple in her garden. The word you are looking for is növényfaj or Egres http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egres_%...%C3%A9nyfaj%29

It maybe worth looking on Starkl.hu not in English (or it never used to be) but very easy to work out, place your order and pay on delivery, have not used them in a few years but great service and range

Last edited by llareggub; Mar 10th 2013 at 7:56 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 10th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, some of these offers are for one day only and parts of the leaflet cover different dates so it's quite confusing. I did challenge them once in OBI when they overcharged me for axe wedges (wedges you knock in the top of the axe handle to stop the head from coming loose). It turned out they had put them on the wrong rack on the display so they really were 899 Ft for 2 little sharpened bits of steel.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Despite the fact we have a dusting of snow forecast in the garden things seem to be bursting into life with signs of fresh growth in the strawberry plot, the elderflower trees and most exciting of all we have the first asparagus spears just breaking the surface of the soil
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
Hi we have Colorado beetle as well but also spray with something called Actara rovarolo permetezoszer, powder form which makes 20 litres to one packet, can be purchased from hardware shops. seems to work as well as squashing them, just have to keep on top of them. Slugs are the other big problem, they love marigolds and dahlias as well. so many a twilight massacre takes place
Yes thanks for info. now found product Actara 25 WG using Google Chrome able to Translate, yes it covers just abought every think and one inportant useg is being to use a dip in all the Greens before planting out
I am not sure how to post phot. of my Spring Greens AYR Cauliflower and Kale planted out October unde Glass Clocth covered with Teram they are Fantstic Green and very health their is Cabbage Evergreen witch can be sown as AYR just sown again and evry 3 weeks onwards, I only growe Cabbage for leaf use never allow to hart up execept Brunskic they grow up to 5 kg and I give the Deer a treat by hanging in the Trees :starsmile
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Potatoes chitting nicely and will put them in next week. Very good crop last year which we finished eating last month.
Always get a good crop of Scarlet runners which are excellent for freezing. Everything else is a bit hit and miss for me but usually manage to grow more than enough and give a lot of produce away.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I am in big delay 4 weeks in uk geting by body parts in order then the snow, it will be at lest a week before a satart again, I did bring back a new Runner Bean Red Knight dawarf french been Masterpiece new swede Growrie new leek Tadorna my days of showing veg I still bring over mid crop spud, Winston I used this for showing for a long time I still think of them days not only spuds but what ever was in the garden at time of shows digger.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I have not sowed any seeds yet, the weather was just too bad. I am hoping this week to plant seeds. What about everyone else?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I have not sowed any seeds yet, the weather was just too bad. I am hoping this week to plant seeds. What about everyone else?
Approximately half of our "vegetable" plots are under water at the moment, planting is gonna be late and busy this year!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by llareggub
Approximately half of our "vegetable" plots are under water at the moment, planting is gonna be late and busy this year!
Thought as much. Thanks Brian.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Trays of various seedling in the kitchen at the moment though many going leggy, should really put them in the mini greenhouse outside but don't have the time to set it up

Hope to get onions, peas and potatoes in this week - a bit late but hey ho.
Focusing on tomatoes, chilies, salad and paprikas this year as that is what we eat most of but also, some melons, aubergines and brassicas.
Wish I knew somebody with artichoke or asparagus plants - might get my daughter to bring some over.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 1st 2013 at 10:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.