Reload this Page >

Spiders & Snakes

Spiders & Snakes

Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

suenmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spiders & Snakes

another silly question I know
Do you have any poisonous spiders or snakes in Hungary?
Old Oct 29th 2011, 1:26 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders & Snakes

Not at all silly... If you don't ask you won't know
There are a lot of water snakes and very large house spiders but none of them are poisonous so don't worry.

Personally, I worry more about hitting the wild boar and deer! Last week we nearly ran into the most majestic looking stag who decided to saunter across the road just yards in front of us - stunning sight.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 1:40 am
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

We almost hit a huge stag coming away from the panoramic resturant, which by the way is fantastic. Great food with a view across the Balaton

Landrover defender with huge bull bar is on the shopping list
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suenmike
another silly question I know
Do you have any poisonous spiders or snakes in Hungary?
Yes, but nothing serious.
I have a colleague who's a naturalist and he told me that there are some mildly poisonous snakes here.
I also got bitten in my sleep by what I presume was a spider (judging by the 2 pin pricks that it left). After 3 days my thumb had turned black and swollen and the skin had started to blister & peel. One more day and I would have been heading to A&E but it started to clear up.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think mildly poisonous is quite what the OP had in mind If memory serves me right Suenmike you were/are in Oz so thinking more along the lines of red backs etc?

The only snake that you would be slightly concerned about here is the Ursini's viper but we have only had one unconfirmed sighting in three years. Whereas in Bulgaria, we saw them quite regularly and yet nobody was particularly worried about them there. There are very few recorded fatalities so even if you were unfortunate enough to see one, then even more unfortunate and bitten - it is unlikely to be very serious.

Spiders, to date no Hungarian has ever warned me about poisonous spiders. Ticks and horseflies yes but not spiders, so again, nothing to be concerned about.

I wasn't being flippant when I said I am more concerned about deers, pigs and stags! When you're driving along at 40 mph and a deer runs straight into the side of the car - it's somewhat disconcerting. Even moreso when it runs out in front of you - brake or swerve? Perhaps that's just me though as I swerve to avoid the frogs when it's raining LOL
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:09 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Thewild boar can be a problem if disturbed. We weretold to carry a torch on the dark hills at night to warn them of approaching humans. Apparently they will always run off but theproblem comes if you disturb them by mistake. Not sure when they have their young, but I expect they become moresensitive then
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Ticks and horseflies yes but not spiders, so again, nothing to be concerned about.
Tick-borne encephalitis can be serious actually. We had our daughter vaccinated against it.
You need to check children daily if they have been in the grass or under trees.

"In general, the best way to remove adult Ixodidae is mechanically. If the tick's head and mouthparts are not attached to the body after removal, it may be necessary to perform a punch biopsy to remove any parts remaining inside the patient."
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

suenmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank-you for all your answers - yes we are on holiday in Australia ( full of funnel webs, redbacks and snakes, but never seen one (thank goodness).
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:07 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

My brother lives in Perth, has been there for nearly 20 years working as a gardener and can count on his one hand the times he has seen anything really dangerous - or so he tells us
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:52 am
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

"We had our daughter vaccinated against it.
You need to check children daily if they have been in the grass or under trees."

did you have your daughter vaccinated in the uk or hungary?, thinking of maybe getting our kids done, they are always rolling around the floor! How long does the vaccination last do you know? Thanks
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

tomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the roughtomasc is a jewel in the rough

For properly effective vaccination you need to have three injections, 1st, 2nd ca 3 months and 3rd shot one year later. I believe it gives 10 years protection.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks for that. We have noticed that they appeared more prolific this summer than in previous years
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by tomasc
For properly effective vaccination you need to have three injections, 1st, 2nd ca 3 months and 3rd shot one year later. I believe it gives 10 years protection.
Yes that's what she had
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa
did you have your daughter vaccinated in the uk or hungary?, thinking of maybe getting our kids done, they are always rolling around the floor! How long does the vaccination last do you know? Thanks
Sorry missed this - it was done in the UK - lasts 10 years
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by OGSG
Sorry missed this - it was done in the UK - lasts 10 years
hi, i have rang my docs about getting this. The nurse has just rang me back and it seems no one has heard of this and they are going to look into it
I have said I would ask the professionals (ie forum members) if anyone has any idea what the vaccine is called or anything to point our so called health professionals in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.