Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Snow - will it ever stop!

Snow - will it ever stop!

Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow - will it ever stop!

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Do you think it is expensive having two different sets of tyres? I suppose throughout the life of your ownership of the car it balances out really.
Here the garages want 1000-1500huf per tyre for changing them over. Twice a year that becomes expensive-8000-12000! I bought 2 almost new snow tyres on rims for 9000huf which I fitted to the front during the winter. I know they'll last me for several years so they've paid for themselves after one season
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Had aircon on in car today and walked about town jacketless - 19 degrees in Nagy
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:06 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the UK grind to a halt after a couple of inches of snow???? It has just taken my 70 year old mother 12 hours to get from Canterbury to Dover. Apparently crashes everywhere and folk, including my mother, sleeping in their cars through the night!
Here we have 3 feet of the stuff and life carries on - guess winter tyres have a lot to do with it.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Why does the UK grind to a halt after a couple of inches of snow???? It has just taken my 70 year old mother 12 hours to get from Canterbury to Dover. Apparently crashes everywhere and folk, including my mother, sleeping in their cars through the night!
Here we have 3 feet of the stuff and life carries on - guess winter tyres have a lot to do with it.
That's terrible for your mother, I hope she is okay now. I was reading on the news about all the chaos and it really is quite shocking. Its not like snow is a new thing in the UK, the UK has experienced snowy winters for a good few years now.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Your mother or the vehicle she was in should have used winter tyres?

Hope she is ok. I live in Orpington and it's been biting cold the past few days. When I left for work yesterday at 6:30am it was like being in a blizzard but luckily for me it only lasted 5 mins but it continued snowing most of the day.

My office in Central London was absolutely freezing yesterday. Despite the forecast warning of freezing cold weather the heating didn't appear to have been set properly. Most colleagues all day wore a coat, scarf or thick jumper! It was still cold this morning but seems to be warming up and the sun did come out for a little while this morning.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:09 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Your mother or the vehicle she was in should have used winter tyres?
That's what I said Though to be honest, she rarely drives the car and usually only about town as she is quite a nervous driver. Apparently it came on so suddenly and then the accidents started which blocked the road, by the time the accident was cleared, the snow had built up. Bless her heart, she eventually came off the motorway and the main roads thinking it would be safer to drive on the country roads as there was less traffic
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope your mum is ok

2 things here in UK firstly councils sold all snow ploughs and grit trucks many moons ago in a case of lets hope it never happens rather than lets plan for extraordinary events

Second is no legal requirement for snow tyres or to carry chains so even if you are sensible and carry chains there will be 5,10,20 or so vehicles infront of you that dont and thus one big snowy car park

Oh and one last one whilst on soapbox nobody gives a stuff about anybody else.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by heli2010
Hope your mum is ok

Second is no legal requirement for snow tyres or to carry chains so even if you are sensible and carry chains there will be 5,10,20 or so vehicles infront of you that dont and thus one big snowy car park

Oh and one last one whilst on soapbox nobody gives a stuff about anybody else.
Thanks, she is a bit shook up and tired but thankfully okay.

Well that's what I thought, even if she had winter tyres, she would still have been stuck behind the accidents though for her own safety, I think I will insist that she fits them next year.

No, sadly, society in the UK is becoming more egocentric. An example is my daughter and her flatmate, a month or so ago, in the middle of the night, a van crashed into the front of their house and the driver did a runner. The two girls went out to see what had happened and were stood in the middle of the road, in their night clothes with the driver approaching them. They could see several curtains twitching and lights going on and yet not one person came out to ask if they were okay - I was honestly shocked. The driver disappeared when he saw them but it is worrying that they could have been confronted by a drink or drug fueled moron and nobody would have bothered their backside to do anything!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Lovely weather
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in the middle of the UK we have sun clear blue sky and 7 degrees
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so now I'm fed up!

Really got a lot done in the garden last couple of weeks, now we're in a blizzard!

We have twin kid goats and not much hay left to give to the animals. I'm worried about them freezing although they are shut in the animal house with mum today. She hates being away from the other sheep and goats though. Hope her milk holds out until we can get her out grazing again.

We can't take the vehicles out as our road does not get cleared.

I'm a bit stressed!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

My electricity keeps going off for a few seconds at a time, just long enough to shut down the PC. I have re-booted it 4 times already. I've not lit the stove in case the power goes off and stays off. I did put in a gravity heat sink to stop the central heating water from boiling in the event of pump failure but it has not proved to be adequate.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heli2010
Here in the middle of the UK we have sun clear blue sky and 7 degrees
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:09 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by judybaby
I'm a bit stressed!
Third time typing this due to power cuts.... So it's condensed now.
Have a glass of wine, de-stress, just make sure animal house is as draught proof as possible and if no hay for bedding, substitute for something else. Mon or Tues is when you want to be careful as forecast is -10.
I just had a guy ask me to drive an hour to collect him and show him a house in my village, usually I go out my way to help folk but not today. The roads are not much of a problem just now, so long as you have winter tyres - it's when they ice up that you need to be really careful. That said, the planned trip to town to stock up before the holiday has been cancelled, just means we will eat and drink less which can't be a bad thing. Need to drive to Almadi on Sunday for a fencing competition so hoping the roads are clear by then.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the moral support Rural.

Animals have straw which is now old in their house. The hay is for feed. Haven't got anything to substitute with. Have got enough food for 2 more days but we grazing mum quite a bit and the kids were just starting to graze too. Their house is not too bad but the wind is swirling the snow every where and getting in every crack. Mum and babies have been shut in the little side room of the house where the geese normally go as the bedding in there is cleaner and drier.

Brians not stressed but I am.

We have a friend who we get the food from but he is not around until Monday, and even if he was we couldn't get to him to day or tomorrow.

We too were planning on stocking up food for ourselves today, so we'll be raiding the freezer and walking to the local shop later today to get wine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.