Snow chaos

Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:46 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snow chaos

Is there any snow chaos here in Hungary?

In my area everything looks to be normal to me despite everywhere being covered in snow.

The Uk has a couple of inches and seems to be at a complete stand still.

What does Hungary do differently?
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Snow chaos

where we live we have a farm and big processing sweetcorn plant, and when it snows the tractors come out with snow ploughs on the front and keep our one road through the village clear.

they start before we get up,so every thing is clear to the main road
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, there is more than a couple of inches. In my area we have about a foot of snow. I live right by a main A road and the snow plough goes by several times a day. The trouble is, they don't bother treating the streets in the towns and villages so once you get off the A road to actually get somewhere else you are out on your own. People don't even dare to clear their own paths for fear of being sued.
Heathrow airport does seem to have lost the plot though. They are not even allowing the news cameras in to film the chaos. You would think we were living in cold war Russia, not Britain.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Our village gets the tractor out and its cleared within hours. When the tractors not working - it's a man, a shovel and a barrow of grit - amazing. Nagykanizsa was on the national news as having the heaviest snowfall of 40cm in 24hrs! Apparently, this was exceptional even for Hungary and led to the M7 being temporarily closed.

Kent had 10cm of snow and it was touch and go as to whether our daughter would make it over for Xmas...... Trains were cancelled, flights were cancelled and I spent two days stuck in front of National rail and Gatwick live updates. Thankfully she made it. I suppose its because countries such as Hungary are used to these conditions and over time have become adept at dealing with it. In the UK I never knew anyone who purchased winter tyres, so when the snow does come everyone is caught by surprise.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Our village gets the tractor out and its cleared within hours. When the tractors not working - it's a man, a shovel and a barrow of grit - amazing. Nagykanizsa was on the national news as having the heaviest snowfall of 40cm in 24hrs! Apparently, this was exceptional even for Hungary and led to the M7 being temporarily closed.

Kent had 10cm of snow and it was touch and go as to whether our daughter would make it over for Xmas...... Trains were cancelled, flights were cancelled and I spent two days stuck in front of National rail and Gatwick live updates. Thankfully she made it. I suppose its because countries such as Hungary are used to these conditions and over time have become adept at dealing with it. In the UK I never knew anyone who purchased winter tyres, so when the snow does come everyone is caught by surprise.
Earlier this month around the north west of Kent, Orpington, we had 25-30cm of snow! We had blizzard style weather several times during the 2nd day earlier this month when we had snow. The recent snow fall was not as bad but still caused chaos although the trains ran normally (from my perspective because I got into work ok) but not others who were stuck on the train overnight. Most of the snow from earlier this month had melted by the time we had the second lot. Alot of the snow from the first snowfall which people had cleared from their driveways hasn't melted at all!
Yes, there were problems at Heathrow and Gatwick, more at Heathrow due to lack of investment. Gatwick with it's new owners were up and running quicker than Heathrow (BAA).