sludge floods

Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default sludge floods

Oh no we are hoping to drive from Spain to Lake Balaton around the 16th Oct, house hunting. Is it safe with the sludge floods? We are looking around the balaton region and surrounding areas.

Carol
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sludge floods

dont worry it happened at the north side of the lake and is several k from the lake.
if you want to look it up on the map it happened at ajka.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Thanks Hotpot,

Just want to get out there to look was scared it may be a no go area.

Carol
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Eagerbeave is an unknown quantity at this point

Our thoughts really go out to the people affected by this. Not just those who have been killed or injured but those whose living has gone.

I hope it doesn't have any affect on the ex pats around Balaton. We wish you well.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

And : ( unlike a Brit ) do spare a thought for the other nearby countries endangered by this i.e. Slovenia , Croatia , Vojvodina , Serbia etc...
Johann Strauss never composed anything about a RED Danube , IMHO !
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

hajgato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by klarika
Oh no we are hoping to drive from Spain to Lake Balaton around the 16th Oct, house hunting. Is it safe with the sludge floods? We are looking around the balaton region and surrounding areas.

Carol
Hi Klarika!

The sludge is restricted to a few small villages and the authorities and the volunteers are working 24/7 to clean up the mess. Hope you take your time to buy a home, because here in Hungary there are a lot of inferior houses, that are not built to code and you may not find out about the problems until you purchase it and have already moved in. We bought a house in Szombathely. If you would like to get more info, I would be happy to share info with you.
Panni
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:26 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hajgato and welcome to the forum, are you Hungarian?

I know that Klarika had a successful visit but will leave it up to her to post her good news.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

hajgato is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I am Hungarian, but I lived in the US most of my life.
We decided to retire here in Hungary, since my husband is Hungarian also and we had relatives here. We lucked out that we settled in a city near the Austrian border where the standard of living is much higher than perhaps in most of the rest of Hungary, with the exception of Budapest.

As retirees, we opted against the big city, since there is no reason to deal with the pollution, noise, traffic and the higher cost of living there.

The roads are wonderful and you can travel anywhere in the country without any difficulties, especially if you own a car, but public transportation is OK also.

If anyone is interested in getting info about life in Hungary and the differences between living in Europe and in the US, I would be happy to send info.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

earth8800 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: interested in Hungary near Austrian border

Hello Hajgato,

My wife is Hungarian and we have a 2yr old daughter. We live in America. We are considering spending some extended time in Hungary. I love Austria and noticed you live near the Austrian border and commented that it is a lovely place to be!

Please tell me more about the area you are living. How does the US dollar convert to Hungarian money now with the Euro in place?

What does it cost to rent a nice home on a monthly basis or are there other places to consider for extended stays?

Do they speak Hungarian and Austrian (German) in the area you live? Do many folks speak English? Thanks, Tom
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:33 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi earth880 and welcome to the BE forums. I am the concierge for the Hungarian forum so should you need any help just give me a shout.