Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Settling in - first impressions

Settling in - first impressions

Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Aquavit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settling in - first impressions

Well it's been around a month now since we arrived in Hungary to take ownership of our new "home" in the Vas County, situated in the village of Bogote. We are the only English in the neighbourhood but there are quite a few Austrian and German second home owners around.

We have found the locals to be very welcoming and friendly, we soon became acquainted with people able to help us, we have a man who comes regularly to cut the grass and other gardening/odd jobs, also an electrician and plumbers - all from the village. So we have progressed with work on the house, sometimes the pace is a little slow for us, often they are fitting in work between their normal jobs, but overall the standard of work and trustworthiness cannot be faulted.

I flew back to the UK and returned three days later with a van full of furniture which has mostly furnished the house but still needing to make some purchases in Hungary. We have found it difficult to source quality/interesting furnishings over here, most stores being akin to Ikea/Kika in style and quality. Mirrors seem to be very hard to find for some reason.

We opened a bank account with OTP within the first week, quickly followed by internet/phone/TV package from Invitel, all very straighforward with some help from an Hungarian speaker. We also found that we can get a 4G signal on mobiles for phone and broadband coverage, quite surprising for a rural location and better than what we often experience in the UK.

We are finding that because of the rural location we need a car so are currently sourcing the documentation for this (residency permit and address card). Finding a suitable car new or used, let alone buying one, is a painstaking process here, dealers of new cars carry next to no stock and used cars seem expensive for what they are. We are finding prices of new cars less than equivalent in the UK so this may be the option we go for. The standard of driving here is somewhat "variable" with kamikaze overtakes frighteningly frequent!

We are slowly getting to grips with a few basics of the Hungarian language, English is less prevalent around here with German being more popular. We've visited and enjoyed some lovely towns - Szombathely, Gyor and Kestheley to mention three. The cost of eating out (with a few exceptions) we've found to be very inexpensive even in "touristy" areas and the range of foodstuffs in the supermarkets more than adequate. I can't find Weetabix anywhere though!

The peace and tranquility is lovely, the abundance of trees and open space makes for a very attractive environment but the weather has been wetter than I expected - maybe it has been an abnormal spring/early summer?

Overall the experience has been overwhelmingly positive and far exceeded our expectations, I only marvel that more don't make it to this secret gem of a country!
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Alkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Settling in - first impressions

Müller sell Weetabix (at least in their Keszthely branch).
Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Aquavit, for that info!
I'm glad that you like it here and haven't had any negative surprises yet - though they will surely come, hopefully not too often.

Having good contacts with your neighbours is important - from my experience too most are helpful, but there might be one or two "rotten eggs". If you're lucky, the other neighbours will tell you about them.

Furniture is a problem - I brought many things (mainly pine wood which I assembled here) over from Germany and other stuff I had made by a carpenter,though I think he's retired now.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

OTP seem to be the biggest player in the banking market here but their charges are quite high. I have an account with them which I don't use because my UK bank make it so difficult for me to do international transfers. OTP have taken nearly 100,000 ft from me in the last couple of years without me making any transactions.

The weather has been strange lately with major floods in some parts of Hungary. Certain foods just are not available in Hungary. I think cereals are not that popular and they tend to be expensive. It could be they are regarded as food just for children as you can always find stuff like cocoa pops. My favourite are Rice Krispies and I bring a load of them from UK if I'm driving over. You can get stuff delivered by the British Pantry:

The British Pantry - favourite British foods home delivered in Hungary
Old Jun 8th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that you are settled and happy Aqua.
But being as I am miserable, old, cynical and sceptical I will wait for your annual report, by which time those welcoming and friendly neighbours may well have become nosey and overbearing, those relaxed slow paced tradesmen will have become downright frustrating and unreliable, whom you have to stay in waiting for even though they have probably gone to a different job, and will leave you to make good all their mess when they have finished.
The lovely rural location will become a real pain when you have to get the car (which you had to wait 3 months for the dealer to order) out every time you need some small screws or parts for any projects, or the milk has gone off quicker than you expected.

But all in all it is as you say it is a little gem of a place to live! Just don't tell everyone! :-)
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Aquavit, are you in Bögöte, near main road 8?

Then you have to try the spa of Sárvár - it is wonderful! Or if you like it more quiet, try Borgáta.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Aquavit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies all.

Yes Wolfi I often go past tha Spa but I'm not really a spa sort of guy, once you're in the water and had a swim around/relaxed for twenty minutes what else do you do for the rest of the day?? I do use the Spar on the outskirts of Vasvar though (I'll get me coat).

Duztee, you're reply made me smile - I too can be miserable, cynical and sceptical, it's one of the pleasures of being less young!

Will check out Muller for Weetabix, not come across one yet though.

Thanks for the "Pantry" pointer Fidobsa, I'll check them out too!
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aquavit

I've lived in a tiny village, no pub or shop, in North Eastern Hungary for 8 years and never (or rarely) regretted the move even though it entails a 5 mile drive along country lanes to the nearest Spar and 50 miles to Miskolc, my nearest city.

No problem though because the village has it's own mini bus and driver, who'll do any shopping or even take you to the doctor or hospital if necessary. No problem either finding someone to do odd jobs, like cutting grass, or heavy digging in the vegetable garden, as someone in the village will always know of someone who's willing to do the work for a few bob!

I normally do most of my shopping at either Auchan or Tesco in Miskolc ... Tesco have their own brand of Weetabix. Once or twice a year I order any British goodies direct from the UK.

Try looking at ...

www.britishcornershop.co.uk]British Corner Shop - The British Food Supermarket for Expats[/ur

who all deliver by courier to Hungary.

Last edited by Sachina; Jun 9th 2016 at 7:13 am.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aquavit, I strongly recommend that you figure out how to type Hungarian diacritic characters on your keyboard. Hungarian is difficult enough as it is...
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

blackwaterman is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=fidobsa;11967996]OTP seem to be the biggest player in the banking market here but their charges are quite high. I have an account with them which I don't use because my UK bank make it so difficult for me to do international transfers. OTP have taken nearly 100,000 ft from me in the last couple of years without me making any transactions....
Certain foods just are not available in Hungary. I think cereals are not that popular and they tend to be expensive.

Hello fidobsa,

I just entered heart attack mode reading your remarks about OTP. Is yours a business or unusual account? I started (with much-needed help) an OTP current account in Tiszujvaros which I can conduct online from UK, although with a lot of frustration. I use a reputable, FCA-regulated foreign exchange currency dealing company to top it up with lump sums whenever the exchange rate and my UK funds look good, for a very modest fee (typically £7). Much to my dismay (and the Forex company do warn) the receiving bank charge just to receive these funds. Of course, each time I use the associated OTP card even to just get a mini-statement, I note that there's a charge, quite unlike the 'free' banking in UK. Of course, I was told about all this beforehand, but it does grate.

On a happier note, I remain amazed that porridge doesn't seem at all popular here, either for breakfast or more general cooking. Although one can find it, it isn't anywhere near as cheap as UK either.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy porridge oats in most supermarkets. German brands are not expensive. Wolfi I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong but in German look for Haferflocken/
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, Sachina, haferflocken it is - though I'm not sure whether they taste the same as your originals ...

A bit OT:
If you have a "sweet spot" Aldi has a very good Müsli, comes in different varieties: nuts&fruits, chocolate, etc

My wife likes this very much - I'm mor for a salty breakfast, ham, kolbasz and cheese ...

What we miss most is really dark rye-bread - we always bring it from Germany, especially the Pumpernickel ...
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
You can buy porridge oats in most supermarkets. German brands are not expensive. Wolfi I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong but in German look for Haferflocken/
Tesco do whole grain (rolled) oats (aka porridge to us brits) in both fine and coarse. The Hungarian for the porridge type rolled oats is Zabpehely. But the last packet we bought conveniently had FINE and WHOLEGRAIN OATS on the front of the packet printed larger than any of the other 4 languages also on the front of the packet
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I did find some Shreddies at a Billa supermarket in Austria but I've never seen them in Hungary. Aldi sell their own version at their shops in UK but neither Aldi in Hungary or Hofer in Austria stock them.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

clive bradbury is an unknown quantity at this point

OBI have a large selection of mirrors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.