Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Selling a Hungarian vehicle outside Hungary

Selling a Hungarian vehicle outside Hungary

Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling a Hungarian vehicle outside Hungary

Just come across a bit of an issue with an old MZ motorbike that we owned.
The guy that bought it is Polish. He turned up at 8.30pm last Friday and was in a real hurry to complete the transaction. He spoke no English and very, very little Hungarian.
We took our copies of the paperwork to the Okmanyiroda today and the woman there said she couldn't complete the transfer as the new owner hadn't written in his date of birth :/ All boxes were filled in but goodness knows what he wrote in the DOB box.
Any ideas what the implications might be if we can't contact the guy or if he refuses to give his DOB? Obviously we don't want any adverse repercussions. We have his phone number and van registration at home.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a Hungarian vehicle outside Hungary

Update:
We managed to contact the new owner and got his DOB. My wife took this to the okmányiroda on Tuesday but was told that the bike can't be taken out of her name until we return the green registration document, green törzskönyv (both of which we gave to the new owner) and the registration plate! as the bike was sold to someone living outside of Hungary.
I have no idea where the new owner intends to register the bike, whether in Hungary or Poland but it seems ridiculous to return all 3 items. If the bike had been sold to a Hungarian resident then what we did was perfectly correct.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is an EU-wide procedure - you don't get your papers and licence plate back when you sell a car/bike/whatever to someone in another EU country.

It's meant as a measure against fraud - I had a similar experience selling my German car to my son in law in Hungary.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can you explain a little more please. When you sold your German car to your son in law in Hungary you had to give the German authorities the ownership documents and the registration plates?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

No, Paul!

I gave everything to him and the registration people took the papers and the plates, gave him the new papers - and informed the German authority about it.

I've written here about this. When the young one told me about it I got worried and (in Germany) phoned the German car registration office - the lady there just asked me for the licence plate number, looked it up in her computer and told me: everything's ok!

And of course I got back the tax and the insurance company was also informed

PS:

So in the end I was treated as if I had sold the car to another person in Germany - just took a little more time.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for the clarification. I think I did everything right and the woman at the okmányiroda doesn't know her 4r5e from her elbow
Old Oct 16th 2016, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

As always here in Hungary it depends entirely who deals with you, or the state of the moon.
The first vehicle I registered here came from the UK and as stated I had to hand in the UK documents and number plates.
The second vehicle I bought came from Holland, but was originally registered in Belgium, and I returned nothing when I received the new documents, and neither did the person who made the Dutch registration because I have all 3 sets of documents and plates for this vehicle.
Both of these registrations were made at my local office, just to different persons.