Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Sell LHD car and buy RHD car in Hungary?

Sell LHD car and buy RHD car in Hungary?

Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:50 am
Just Joined

kotu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sell LHD car and buy RHD car in Hungary?

Hi!
I am new in the forum and I need some help.
I'm going to move to the UK at the end of October with my family.
We have a LHD car now so we should sell it.
We are thinking over to buy a RHD car (registered in the UK) in Hungary but I'm afraid of car traiders. I can see in the www.hasznaltauto.hu that the cars they offer usually not in good condition.
We have 3 children, so it should be a bigger one, we prefer the 7 seats models.
Is it a good idea to buy it in Hungary? Or better to go the the UK and buy there?
I seems to be better to move by car than by plane...

What's your experience?
Thanks in advance
Andrea
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sell LHD car and buy RHD car in Hungary?

Originally Posted by kotu
Hi!
We are thinking over to buy a RHD car (registered in the UK) in Hungary but I'm afraid of car traiders. I can see in the Használtautó.hu - eladó használt és új autó kereső that the cars they offer usually not in good condition.
Is it a good idea to buy it in Hungary? Or better to go the the UK and buy there?

What's your experience?
Thanks in advance
Andrea
Don't know how expensive/cheap cars are in Hungary, but you may well find, if you buy one just to travel to the UK, that you would be hit for import taxes is you haven't owned it very long, also, if it has been registered in Hungary, or had the headlights etc changes you would have to have all that reversed, and if it has been matriculated to Hungarian registration, then that would have to be reversed, and you would need to ensure that the Hungarian authorities were aware you were exporting the car. Just some things to consider.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Andrea,

I think that used cars are much cheaper in UK than in Hungary, I'm not sure about new ones. Also, they would be the correct spec. for UK, regarding headlights etc.

Anyone can buy and register a car in UK, whatever their residential status, so long as you can provide an address to where it can be registered.

Perhaps you could use your existing car to move to UK and then sell it - maybe someone on this forum wants a LHD car for use in Hungary?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrea,
I live in UK with my Hungarian wife.
Buying a car in UK depends on whom you buy from.
My last three cars have been bought from BIG dealers, not small independent dealers. All have been in good condition and working order. The only time I went back was for my current car having noticed a couple of scratches which I didn't see when I test drove the car because it had been raining!
My current car is a Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira which has two additional fold flat seats in the back(boot is what we call it). Should be roomy enough for your family. Depending on age, mileage, model and condition I think that the Zafira is well priced in UK. Not too sure about other models but this Zafira was the best priced car for my needs.
I think it might be better for you to come over with your current car and when you have settled find a RHD car. Once you have got the new RHD car take the Hungarian car back to Hungary and hopefully one of your family will help sell it for you.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I think it might be better for you to come over with your current car and when you have settled find a RHD car. Once you have got the new RHD car take the Hungarian car back to Hungary and hopefully one of your family will help sell it for you.
I agree that this seems to be a good solution. However, as I understand it, you would have to continue to be registered as a resident in Hungary for this to be legal:

Car registration and taxes
Jármű-nyilvántartásbavétel és adózás
Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shotgun
Hi, Andrea,

I think that used cars are much cheaper in UK than in Hungary, I'm not sure about new ones. Also, they would be the correct spec. for UK, regarding headlights etc.

Anyone can buy and register a car in UK, whatever their residential status, so long as you can provide an address to where it can be registered.

Perhaps you could use your existing car to move to UK and then sell it - maybe someone on this forum wants a LHD car for use in Hungary?
That's why I wrote to this forum: I want to buy a car that is RHD and registered in the UK and I want to sell my car that is LHD and registered in Hungary
I wondered if I would make a swap with someone
Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Hi Andrea,
I live in UK with my Hungarian wife.
Buying a car in UK depends on whom you buy from.
My last three cars have been bought from BIG dealers, not small independent dealers. All have been in good condition and working order. The only time I went back was for my current car having noticed a couple of scratches which I didn't see when I test drove the car because it had been raining!
My current car is a Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira which has two additional fold flat seats in the back(boot is what we call it). Should be roomy enough for your family. Depending on age, mileage, model and condition I think that the Zafira is well priced in UK. Not too sure about other models but this Zafira was the best priced car for my needs.
Yes, Zafira would be a good model for us. Thanks for the idea going out with current car and take it back later. It can be a good solution if we won't find here a UK registered car.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

<<I wondered if I would make a swap with someone>>

It might be a good idea if you post the make and details of your car, and how much it's worth. Do you want to make a straight swap or will you put in some more money - or vice versa?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shotgun
<<I wondered if I would make a swap with someone>>

It might be a good idea if you post the make and details of your car, and how much it's worth. Do you want to make a straight swap or will you put in some more money - or vice versa?
It is a Nissan Qashqai Acenta 1.6 2013 and 17.000km
We want to buy an older and cheeper car
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kotu
Hi!
We are thinking over to buy a RHD car (registered in the UK) in Hungary but I'm afraid of car traiders. I can see in the Használtautó.hu - eladó használt és új autó kereső that the cars they offer usually not in good condition.

What's your experience?
Thanks in advance
Andrea
You don't say for how long you will move to the UK. If its for a couple of years then it might be easier to keep the car you have, (road tax is cheaper here and get a new test before you leave).

If you do want to sell your car anyway then secondhand cars are cheaper in the UK so sell your Hungarian car here and buy another in the UK. (sell expensive, buy cheap)

If you are going to have some of your possessions shipped to the UK any way (or are you expecting to get everything in the car?) then I would consider flying, IMO much easier than driving, 2.5 hours not 2.5 days and flying is probably cheaper - especially in October.

Selling cars takes time if you want a good price so if you drive to the UK then come back to sell the car you will need someone here to sell the car for you (or stay here months to sell the car or walk into a dealer and take what is offered)

The choice of RHD cars here is going to be limited so the chance of getting the car you want is probably slim, and if you buy and leave the country then how do you manage the guarantee. But if you did find it then it would be cheap as RHD cars here are usually quite cheap