Security

Old Dec 2nd 2017, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Security

Hi, from a beautiful Bussu..having just moved am looking for advice on security , house & outside.

Am thinking sensor lights for the immediate area & out building areas, any advice is most appreciated.

Also house security, our Hungarian neighbours have a PIR system, which I think is battery operated.

We don'twant to get a dog or a goose, so that is not an option .
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security

The level of the security has to be a bit above the level of the threat and your property has to be less inviting than your neighbours.

So how real is the threat? From what I have heard burglars don't travel far so one village can be fairly safe and the neighbouring village can have problems. Every year the police responsible for our village give a report of the crime in the village (nil for the last 3 years). If you can get an understanding of the level of the problem then this could guide your decisions. (I won't say perhaps you should have looked into this before you bought -- Oops I just did !)

IMO CCTV is of limited value, it might deter the casual 'visitor' but the bad boys wear ski masks and dark coats and courts don't convict unless the pictures are so good they can't be challenged, even if the police are certain of who the bad boy is.

A lot of people think that a barking dog is a good security measure but the determined burglar only needs an hour or 3 day planning to negate the dog (an hour for the sleeping pills in the sausage to work or 3 days for the pins in the sausage to kill the dog)

If your neighbours have a PIR system probably a similar system might be an idea and if nothing else at least the lights come on for you when you come home at night. But as I said above IMO it depends upon the threat level.

We had a neighbour who didn't ever lock her door, said she hadn't locked her door for 40 years and she lived alone on the other hand I have a friend who has PIR and CCTV and still gets stuff stolen, but then his property is frequently empty and it is typically one of the neighbours doing the thieving. (That's how I know the courts need clear pictures - but at least being dragged up before the court seems to have deterred them for a bit!)

Of course the ex Budapest people will start talking about bars on windows etc. and in some areas the vineyard houses on the hills are left empty with the door unlocked, that way the bad boys don't break the door to find nothing.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention and perhaps more important - you need the level of security that makes you comfortable when going to sleep at night !!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the ex Budapest people will start talking about bars on windows etc
Naturally! Great until our front door mysteriously locked itself with the keys on the inside and us on the outside - & a flat that is like Fort Knox!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of things I would also suggest are:

1) Try and learn a little Hungarian in order to then make friends with neighbours and locals. Local villagers for example do not normally get burgled as they are normally born in that village, have their family history in that village and are well respected in the community.

2) Being expat you stick out like a sore thumb, especially if you have foreign goods in and around your house of good quality, a nice car and kids who go to a private school. In which case I would recommend blending in with the locals so that do not get, too, jealous - Shop where they shop (i.e. use the local stores as well as the big supermarkets), use local tradesmen, use local pubs, dress down a bit (i.e. do not swan around with gold watch and expensive clothes, but do not dress like a tourist either). Try and help in the community.

3) Make friends. Sounds stupid or obvious, but many expats do not make friends because of the language barrier. Just gesturing the international sign for "would you like a beer" or learning that sentence in Hungarian goes a long way with neighbours and locals alike. Better still, take some English jam or something around to them when you first move in. And if you have a car, offer to take them to the local markets, swimming pool or whatever.

My neighbours helped me when I had no electricity to do drilling etc when renovating. I only used the equivalent of 3 or 4 days worth of electricity (a couple of hundred forints), but repaid them by giving them about six weeks worth of electric money (5,000 forints) because I appreciated their thoughtfulness, kindness and generosity in doing me such a valuable favour.

My other neighbours helped me by giving me tools to borrow and helped tear out my old kitchen units. I repaid them by giving their kids toys at christmas from London.

I would also suggest attending local festivals and learning a little Hungarian history. For me, these little gestures go a long way. I have a HU GF, but I purposely do not always ask her for help. Many times I do things myself with her not around to help or translate. It is called integrating
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought 4 20w led lamps from this place: New Sky Led – led termékek széles választéka They only cost 1500ft each and arrived in about 2 or 3 days. They have a wide choice of lights.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I forgot to mention and perhaps more important - you need the level of security that makes you comfortable when going to sleep at night !!
For me that would be keeping one dog inside the house to alert me something is happening outside.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I would suggest is that if you have a BBQ and invite the neighbours do put away any sentimental or valuable stuff. Also lock any rooms they don't need to enter to get to the bathroom if they are allowed to use the one inside. If you have an outside loo insist everyone uses it.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions & responses.

We are very lucky & have fantastic neighbours & also the local shop is next door so we pop in regularly. Everyone we have met seem really nice & very willing to help the new people who do try & speak the language.

Without wishing to sound racist or stereotyping, we do have several Roma on the edge of the village. We are just trying to take sensible precautions with sheds etc as I think we already have had curious night visitors.

Will certainly check out the LED lamps.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting report in the Daily News Hungary today regarding where crime is highest and lowest…..
https://dailynewshungary.com/countie...rates-hungary/
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hungarian National Police Headquarters’ data shows that the Midwestern region (Zala, Vas, Veszprém) is the most peaceful area in the country.
(...)
Transdanubia, however, seems to be ruled by tranquillity.

Vas and Zala were the two counties with the lowest crime rate 16 years ago, when I bought my house.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, well us older people can't run away as fast as the youngsters!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes, well us older people can't run away as fast as the youngsters!
Classic!