Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Saying a fond hello from Hungary

Saying a fond hello from Hungary

Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

andyg73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saying a fond hello from Hungary

Yes, you're right, the weather is turning nasty. I was over your way this summer looking for land for a cricket pitch and really liked it.

Your database idea sounds great and you can count me in to help and add all the books here.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

ilovehungary is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Saying a fond hello from Hungary

Originally Posted by andyg73
Yes, you're right, the weather is turning nasty. I was over your way this summer looking for land for a cricket pitch and really liked it.

Your database idea sounds great and you can count me in to help and add all the books here.
It is a wonderful place to live, we are 2km from the village. So we rarely see a car or even a human. It is so quiet and peaceful with just the wildlife for company, and of course "demolition dog" our not very well behaved german shepherd. we have 10 acres of pasture and woodland, but not good enough for a cricket pitch I am afraid.

Not sure who to ask about this book data base idea, but I am sure someone will see the discussion and either knock it on the head or give some encouragement, so we will wait and see. I think if it happens, it should be a system where people do not expect to get their books back once they have passed them on or postage costs would be a big problem. Don't you think?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I think that's a great idea, perhaps you could start a thread solely for this purpose and put up a list of the books available. Addresses could be exchanged via PM: if users feel comfortable giving it out.
Unfortunately, if it is for keeps, I will have to decline as I would eventually like my books back. I honestly don't mind lending them but would not like to give them away, my son would never forgive me

For those on the West side of the lake, the expat club has a huge selection of books to borrow and I believe the Keszthely library also has a selection of English books.

Then of course there is Fentigers suggestion of an e-reader or downloading onto a laptop or netbook, which is ideal for those who don't mind it not being a "real" book.

Hopefully the suggestions given will be of use to some of you

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Nov 21st 2010 at 6:21 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:05 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ilovehungary Welcome, this is my wifes biggest problem here, she just can not find English books to read
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi, I think that's a great idea, perhaps you could start a thread solely for this purpose and put up a list of the books available. Addresses could be exchanged via PM: if users feel comfortable giving it out.
Unfortunately, I will have to decline as I would eventually like my books back. I honestly don't mind lending them but would not like to give them away, my son would never forgive me

For those on the West side of the lake, the expat club has a huge selection of books to borrow and I believe the Keszthely library also has a selection of English books.

Then of course there is Fentigers suggestion of an e-reader or downloading onto a laptop or netbook, which is ideal for those who don't mind it not being a "real" book.

Hopefully the suggestions given will be of use to some of you
If you are sure this is not outside the site rules, then perhaps I will put out an invitation via a new thread, if that is how is works. Thanks for your help with this. No I agree, if I cant feel the book in my hand and put the light out when it falls on the floor, I dont feel like i have had a good read Ha Ha.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Saying a fond hello from Hungary

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Hi ilovehungary Welcome, this is my wifes biggest problem here, she just can not find English books to read
We will get to work on this over the next few days and send an invitation to people to add their unwanted books to a database, then as it grows, we can post the list and the username of the person owning the book and people can PM that person to either pick them up or pay to have them posted. It could be that your wife's problem and mine can be solved before the winter sets in and postie cant deliver.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps giving users the option of requesting their books back would be an idea, then the borrower can decide whether they wish to pay the return postage?

I think posting a separate thread is the only way it could work unless a database was hosted externally and you linked to the database.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Perhaps giving users the option of requesting their books back would be an idea, then the borrower can decide whether they wish to pay the return postage?

I think posting a separate thread is the only way it could work unless a database was hosted externally and you linked to the database.
Before I post a new thread on this, is it possible to send it to you via PM so you can agree or disagrre with its contents? I dont want to run off with this and find myself in the preverbial poo.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:41 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi again, not sure about sending an invitation out to users as this may count as spam, I will check on this point. Perhaps for now just post a thread outlining your concept, how it will work and any other information you think relevant. Word will eventually get around. If the list grows very large then perhaps the data could be collated and added as an attachment to the thread. Eventually, perhaps, an online database could be created where users manually upload their books, these are then removed from the database as and when they are "ordered".
Of course I don't mind checking it over before you post it
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ilovehungary
Well I have to say that I am overwhelmed by all these caring responses, my brain has gone into overload. (not difficult at my age I assure you) You have all given so much valuable information that I am fair buzzing with excitement at the prospect of reading something new. The thought of this site listing books for give away at only the cost of postage, seems to be a very good one, perhaps we can persue this, I would be happy to build a database of everyones books and receive and pass on requests. It would however mean giving addresses to each other I don't know if that is outside the forum rules, but hey I only been here a day, what do I know.
Perhaps a 'Book Swap' club would be better? i.e. you send a book to someone who wants what you have and vice-versa. Atleast you will be getting something out of sending your book to someone else!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Perhaps a 'Book Swap' club would be better? i.e. you send a book to someone who wants what you have and vice-versa. Atleast you will be getting something out of sending your book to someone else!
Hi, yet another option, thank you.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Fentiger, that's a great idea

ilovehungary, feel free to send me your copy, I'm sure it will be perfectly fine