Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Old May 14th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Thanks Mark

Its always worth asking the questions isnt it. I did wonder because some prices for weekend houses on huge pieces of land seemed really cheap. So its back to plan a which is to buy a house that needs some renovation on a good sized plot with a nice view. We have friends that will live nearby one of whom is hungarian which will be very helpful. Plan to rent first and have a good look around the area in which we intend to live.
If we had been retirement age then would have gone for Lake Balaton as I love it there, the north shore around Zanka especially.
I cant understand why Eastern Europe isnt more popular for relocators but I think there is still alot of misunderstanding about what it is like. Still that is a good thing for now I think.

Cathy
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Tesseract is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cathyg
Thanks Mark

I cant understand why Eastern Europe isnt more popular for relocators but I think there is still alot of misunderstanding about what it is like.

Cathy
As someone who lives in Hungary (Budapest) I can understand why this might not be as attractive. There is a certain mentality among Hungarians (mostly in service and construction industry) which is that cheating a foreigner is fair game and proves them to be smarter rather than less ethical.

After you shake a contractors hand make sure to count your fingers!
Old May 31st 2008, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Mustin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been following this thread with a lot of interest as I spend some time almost every month on the southern side of the lake in balatonboglar with my hungarian wife. I would be interested in hearing from other english people that have settled here or visit regularly, by the way I am 36 so unfortunately no plans to retire yet! My boss has been sympathetic to my situation and allowed me to work via a laptop but I'm not sure how long that is going to last for, so it's frequent trips between sarmellek and stansted for us for a while until we become more settled hopefully in the future!

In my experience, the people I have met have been very friendly and hospitable even though life seems a bit of a struggle financially for them. They don't have any faith in the government that things will improve. But I like the area and it has a feel of when I was younger where everyone seems to have a dog in the garden (never in the house!) and gates on their driveways that they always close (I remember my parents doing this) and the pace of life seems slower with older men and women actually talking to their neighbours over the garden wall. The weather can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter - proper seasons! I actually had my first snowball fight last winter for the first time since I was a kid!!

Anyway, it would be nice to be in contact with others in a similar position or who know more about the area - for example what are the prospects of myself getting a decent job around the lake area? My hungarian is very basic but improving all the time!!

Koszonom!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Markcomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tesseract
As someone who lives in Hungary (Budapest) I can understand why this might not be as attractive. There is a certain mentality among Hungarians (mostly in service and construction industry) which is that cheating a foreigner is fair game and proves them to be smarter rather than less ethical.

After you shake a contractors hand make sure to count your fingers!
Hi Tesseract,
I have heard of people being ripped off and all sorts of tales, all I can say is that having completely renovated an apartment and built a house here, that has not been our experiance. Certainly we have had high quotes, but once we have got down to what we wanted as opposed to what they thought we wanted (with bells on because all western europeans must have money and want gold plated taps etc!-an atitude that is now becoming outdated) the quotes have been what a Hungarian would expect. I seem also to remember that UK trades sometimes quoted high on occasions.

The other issue is of mistrust which does not make for a good working relationship. To this end we are in the process of starting a small company to meet the needs (and fears) of poeple re-locating here and wishing to build or renovate,i.e. manageing the projects to avoid these misunderstandings.
I should also add that not on all occasions but when needed we have been fortunate that my wife's cousin is an electrician who works with the other trades all the time. Once you have established a good working relationaship I find that trades recommend poeple they would use and not those who would rip them off. By and large it is my experiance that there is not a lot of rfespect for that approach. Although it also needs to be added, that sometimes prices are high becuase the demand is high - like everywhere.
I keep the forum updated as we go along, hopefully it will be of interest.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:56 am
Just Joined

backtobasics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement to east Hungary

We've been back a couple of weeks having a number of things to sort out on our return.

We had a great time in Hungary at a small village 80K East of Budapest. It seems everyone has or knows someone who is selling a house but we kept to our checked out estate agent. The time was very relaxing yet we were also able to check things out, we found a great village, very friendly and big on community spirit, gypsies, vagrants and such not tolerated. The main camp site had great spa and pool (better than we've seen else where) but the other amenities (showers/toilets whilst connected to mains sewage were still rather rustic).

We found a property which we have fallen in love with, it ticks all our boxes and more, with only minor renovations being required!! We're looking at a 2 year plan for being ready to make the move and retire there.

For anyone with arthritis type ailments, the weather is warmer and ample hot mineral spas available for public use. I've never given much credence to them but after our first visit to the one on camp, my wifes sinuses cleared, I could bend my fingers in the morning without them locking up whilst my wife could actually breathe through her nose for the first time in years!

Staff on site went beyond their required duties for us more than once with no outstretched hands for reward. Pace of life was so laid back it seemed time had stood still.

We will make the move and buying the house is the first step, I'll update experiences (good or bad) through out our whole process.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

richardjhorvath is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I have just joined the site.

My father is Hungarian, and my wife and i own a property in the same village,
as my parents.
A small village called Ordacsehi, which is about 4kms from Lake Balaton, between Fonyod, and Balaton Boglar.

I am a carpenter by trade, but have learnt over the years, to do all other kinds of building work to a good level.

I am also a qualified site manager, with additional project management experience.

I have vast residential experience, both with individual houses, up to apartment blocks and hotels.

My wife and i are thinking about seeting up on our own in Hungary, mainly for expats benefit.

I have already carried out some work in, and around the south Balaton area,
and i know some good sub contractors.
I also have a friend who is an architect, who submits planning applications for me.

I am currently employed as a project manager in Jamaica, however my wife and i are leaving next month, and heading home to Hungary.

We shall be setting up a website, with pictures of some of the work i have carried out myself, and some which i have supervised.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notalab
Hello backtobasics, when do you intend doing a 'recce'? [ex military myself & wife]. When you have posted a couple of more messages then you may contact me if you want. I will to pm you my details. [some things are best left off public forums] We [Balaton Britons] maintain a list of reliable artisans and professionals and other information which we disseminate to members via email or once a month at our meetings.
Regards.....
Hi Notalab

I have just joined the forum/website.
Not exactly how it works just yet!
Please confirm receipt of this message, and i will send a longer one.
Ex military myself as well.

Regards

Richard
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardjhorvath
Hi Notalab

I have just joined the forum/website.
Not exactly how it works just yet!
Please confirm receipt of this message, and i will send a longer one.
Ex military myself as well.

Regards

Richard
Maybe read the FAQ`s at the top of the page will help you understand. ;-)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, wiil do
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, wiil do
You will find them quite useful, as it is always a job to know what to do when you are first on a site forum. ;-)
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Hi JDR

Do you have a place in Spain, Hungary, or both?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mustin
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest as I spend some time almost every month on the southern side of the lake in balatonboglar with my hungarian wife. I would be interested in hearing from other english people that have settled here or visit regularly, by the way I am 36 so unfortunately no plans to retire yet! My boss has been sympathetic to my situation and allowed me to work via a laptop but I'm not sure how long that is going to last for, so it's frequent trips between sarmellek and stansted for us for a while until we become more settled hopefully in the future!

In my experience, the people I have met have been very friendly and hospitable even though life seems a bit of a struggle financially for them. They don't have any faith in the government that things will improve. But I like the area and it has a feel of when I was younger where everyone seems to have a dog in the garden (never in the house!) and gates on their driveways that they always close (I remember my parents doing this) and the pace of life seems slower with older men and women actually talking to their neighbours over the garden wall. The weather can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter - proper seasons! I actually had my first snowball fight last winter for the first time since I was a kid!!

Anyway, it would be nice to be in contact with others in a similar position or who know more about the area - for example what are the prospects of myself getting a decent job around the lake area? My hungarian is very basic but improving all the time!!

Koszonom!
Hi

My wife and i have a place in Ordacsehi, not far from Boglar.
My name is Richard, and my wife Kerry. My father is Hungarian, and lives in the village with my mother.
We are currently working in Jamaica, but leaving here on 14th July, and heading home to Hungary.
Please reply, maybe we could help each other!!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:56 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Hi JDR

Do you have a place in Spain, Hungary, or both?
Not in Hungary, I live in Spain. ;-)
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Not in Hungary, I live in Spain. ;-)
Hi Jdr

My in laws live in Spain (Torrivieja) spelt something like that!!!

Have a free holiday for a week, to take sometime this year as well
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

JohnnyDangerous is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me roughly what remoal firms charge to move your house contents from the uk to hungary? I have a house in Nagykanisza and imthinking of moving there permenantly. it's not far from the Balaton about 40 mins drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.