Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:07 am
Just Joined

dixieflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

My husband and I are considering retirement in Hungary next year,just wondering if there are any members already out there,or who have visited,who could share experiences with us,we understand it can get very cold in the winter?warm in summer and are also wondering which area best to look for property first,the north side or south of the lake?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Think you are in the wrong forum!!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:12 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, hungry
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Think you are in the wrong forum!!
sorry my first time posting,only just registered,advise as to how and where I should have posted please
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dixieflyer
sorry my first time posting,only just registered,advise as to how and where I should have posted please
come on then sammy t .I cannot find my own posting on the forum,so that I can see where I put it? as a member of some experience and me only learning both with forums and computers perhaps you could email me and let me know where I am going wrong?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dixieflyer
come on then sammy t .I cannot find my own posting on the forum,so that I can see where I put it? as a member of some experience and me only learning both with forums and computers perhaps you could email me and let me know where I am going wrong?
I will move this to the Europe forum. Click on the link and it will takee you to the thread. The original post is in the Australia Immigration forum.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I will move this to the Europe forum. Click on the link and it will takee you to the thread. The original post is in the Australia Immigration forum.
thankyou polly anna hopefully I will grasp the forum use soon!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my wife and I live at the Western end of Lake Balaton. We know about 50 Brits who live here around the lake and have a get together once a month to exchange information and have a bit of a 'social'.

Last edited by Notalab; Feb 3rd 2008 at 8:29 pm. Reason: exited for typo
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

This used to be very popular , for both retirement and 2nd/holiday homes , for Austrians , Germans , some Czechs and Slovenians even ; but of lately , I'm told , the Magyars have jacked up many prices to ( above ) usual european levels , particularly taking into account the quality on offer ; so , with the clear result that many of those punters of yesteryears now vote by staying away ! On recent ( last summer's ) drive past the lake , easterly towards Budapest , a good number of houses were obviously empty nad neglected and many establishments appeared as they had seen better times ;
Budapest , too : in most instances , appears ludicruosly expensive , for no apparent improvement in assortment , service or quality ;
yet , Hungary still not being even close to getting admitted into Euro-zone , maybe they see some sense and arrange for softenings of their currency ?
There could be bargains aplenty , around Lake Balaton then ; and the tax-situation , surely , could be a big attraction , still ?
But one thing that still remains cheap/o there , for now , though ; good dental and surgical attention - a new kind of "tourism" for them !
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Half of the Brits I know here have moved from the Costas, the most common reasons given for moving from Spain is that paradoxically there are too many Brits/Irish there now, crime levels are exponentially increasing, and worry about the overheated housing market. I'm yet to hear [1 exception] from anyone that they had wished they had stayed in UK/Spain. I agree that there is a lot of property for sale here, quite a few Hungarians put their property on the market as a speculative move and if a foreigner is stupid enough to offer the asking price then they will sell. Prices are increasing only slightly and there are plenty of good deals around. Crime [the exception being Budapest like any capitol city] is very low and the people are friendly. The language is unique and IMO difficult to learn but English is now the second language taught in schools and catching on fast. Ubiquetos Tescos have supermarkets in most towns and the quality and more importantly choice of food and goods are improving all the time. Utilities are quite expensive as they are in most places nowadays but fuel is still around 80p, coucil tax and eating out is cheap and we find that our pensions go a lot further than UK or Spain. I'm begining to sound like an estate agent [which I'm not] so will stop for now........
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Actually : why stop ?
You might yet be doing many of us a really Good Turn ?
Cheers !
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

....Continues..... [I'll add snippets for your delectation [or not] from time to time].....
the day after we arrived in Hungary my wife fell of a step and broke her wrist.
Drove her to the local hospital which had a '50's air about it but this was soon dispelled as she was seen by a doctor inside 5 minutes, sent for xrays, xrays interpreted by another doctor to confirm break, plastered up and out of the hospital inside of an hour. Because we were not then on the Health Service net I had to pay the equivalent of around £55 but with such a good service thought it was money well spent. As from January this year [I think], If one goes to a doctor one has to pay around £1.50 to help defray the costs of the Health Service.
.... more tomorrow........
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keep 'em coming up , mate !
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

.... Continues.... natural domestic gas price is about 30p per therm [don't know how that compares with UK in general.] Water costs are a bit steep [IMO] but had a well dug last year for about £270 and the water is sweet. If I water the garden [quarter acre] using say 800 litres then the well refills itself in about 8 hours. 4 bedroom large house with garage in a good location [always location., location.....] cost me 95k two years ago. TV programmes
....continues later.......
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

to continue......
TV. Sky like most places in Europe can be picked up with the required box and card, although with a small dish bbc1 and 2 and itv cannot be picked up.
Croatian TV can be viewed with a terrestrial antenna and it has lots of Movies in English.

Rates [council tax].... just paid mine this morning at the post office and it was £132 for the YEAR! We have another local tax for the upkeep of the roads and this year it will be £48 but whether this is a universal/variable tax in Hungary I do not know.

Dustbins are emptied once a week and no limits on amounts or type in my area. Big bulk [eg old beds/sofas/30ft fir trees] are collected twice a year.

more later.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.