Residency

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Yeoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency

Hello all.

My partner and I, both UK citizens (EU citizens) are looking in to the possibility of buying a property in Hungary.

Our biggest concern is residency.
I would like to revive this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=residency

It has very useful info in it, but I am wondering if it still applies as of today 02/09/2013? I would be interested in the situation now.

Are things still similar to back then? The jists I got from the thread was;
1) You can't get residency until you own a house, but there is no guarantee you will get residency upon purchasing that house. Can you get a temporary residency guarantee before we go and blow our savings on a house..?
2) Some people found the process really easy and smooth, and others didn't, even after meeting criteria that certain posters said swung the decision in their favour (having regular monthly payments into bank account and having health insurance). It seemed very dependant on the official, and probably whether they like the look of you or not.
3) We have no plan of seeking employment in Hungary and we do not have a pension.
4) Given I am risk averse, I don't particularly want to take a chance and basically leave our outcome to fate. Just because the police don't ask you for residency now doesn't mean politics won't change in future. Just because you don't get fined for going over 30 days on your passport when flying back to the UK now, doesn't mean you won't in the future.

I welcome any comments on the topic. Thanks

Last edited by Yeoman; Sep 2nd 2013 at 7:15 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:22 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency

Hi, there are several threads on Residency which are still valid as of today.

You can apply for residency if you own or rent a property in Hungary - a copy of your rental agreement will be required.
Proof of savings, to support yourself during your stay or a regular income will be required.
Proof of health cover will be required.
Being adverse to risk, you are probably better renting to begin, get to know the country and areas.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:25 am
Just Joined

I have searched 'residency' and I only found 2 threads. One more recent but not very detailed.

Is there a minimum term rental contract? I.e. 6months like in the UK?
If you can get residency from renting, then renting a month, attempting to obtain residency and then purchasing seems sensible.

May I ask if you personally have residence Rural Hungary? Because I notice you didn't have 2 years ago.

If you don't, may I ask if you leave the country by flight often? Once a year?

Thinking about this further; I guess, you don't get an incoming stamp on your passport when you enter the EU any more. So therefore, how can an official tell that you have been in the country for longer than 90 days anyway?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same in many EU countries, but in general the proof is on you to show that you have been there for less than the specified time, such as ferry receipts, credit card receipts / statements etc.

Speaking for Spain, in reality it is strange because you have to fulfill the criteria of income etc to get residency, but under EU law the Spanish cant throw you out if you dont fulfill those criteria under the freedom to work and transit rules
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
in general the proof is on you to show that you have been there for less than the specified time, such as ferry receipts, credit card receipts / statements etc.
It seems difficult to prove you have been somewhere for less than specified time. Whoops, I seem to have mislaid my departure flight print out....
But if you were investigated, it would be easy to prove from bank statements you have been there for longer. The question is, do people get reported/investigated and if they don't now, will they in the future, given Hungarian/EU politics.

Last edited by Yeoman; Sep 2nd 2013 at 9:55 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the same here Mitzy, mentioning no names, there are many pensioners who "live" here but don't have residency, for various reasons including health care.
Some go shopping in neighbouring countries every couple of months to prove they have "been out of the country".
The reality is, so long as you can prove you have enough money to support yourself and you do not attempt to gain benefits here or become a burden on the state, residency is an easy and quick process.

If you give us some further details on your position, intentions etc. I'm sure there will be some people along to advise you further but I don't see there being a problem with renting for a couple of months, though this would likely be through a private let as most agents require 6 or 12 month contracts. You could then obtain your residency whilst looking for a place to buy.

I have replied to your personal questions via PM as this is a public forum and wouldn't want anybody knowing when I am in and out of the country for obvious reasons! I have heard of burglaries at 3 expat properties in the past month so you need to be careful.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yeoman
It seems difficult to prove you have been somewhere for less than specified time. Whoops, I seem to have mislaid my departure flight print out....
But if you were investigated, it would be easy to prove from bank statements you have been there for longer. The question is, do people get reported/investigated and if they don't now, will they in the future, given Hungarian/EU politics.
As far as authorities are concerned generally, that won't interest them .... as I said, the burden of proof is on you and you alone. They don't have to prove anything, as you are "guilty" until proved innocent.

I dont know about Hungary, but I can tell you in Spain i have never heard of anyone being investigated. It tends to come up only when people are driving UK reg cars and are stopped. In Spain, a Spanish resident cannot drive a UK reg car legally, dont know if it is the same in Hungary
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:09 am
I bite my thumb at thee

I'm finding this difficult to understand as you claim not to like risk so therefore, why would you even be thinking of doing something that could put you under investigation?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the PM Rural. I understand why you wouldn't want personal information publicised.

I said I was risk averse which is different from 'not liking risk'.
Risk aversion is the reluctance of a person to accept a bargain with an uncertain payoff rather than another bargain with a more certain, but possibly lower, expected payoff.

If there is almost no risk of being investigated as has been inferred, then I don't have to worry....
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

There would be not risk for you at all. Rent privately for a couple of months, gain residency - you would have more than sufficient funds in your account to do so. Then purchase your property.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:27 am
Senior Moment

Thanks for the PM Rural. I understand why you wouldn't want personal information publicised.

I said I was risk averse which is different from 'not liking risk'.
Risk aversion is the reluctance of a person to accept a bargain with an uncertain payoff rather than another bargain with a more certain, but possibly lower, expected payoff.

If there is almost no risk of being investigated as has been inferred, then I don't have to worry....
You do what you feel is right for you ... all I would say is that if you go to live in a foreign country, you choose to do so and you should really stick to the laws of that country .
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:59 am
Just Joined

I agree. I would rather have residency than not, but it seems from the 2011 thread that getting residency isn't always that easy. Hence I was worried that I would be stuck with a house without residency and a chance of being deported. Knowing that not having residency is highly unlikely to get me investigated/deported is important to know. Thank you both for your comments. You have remedied my concerns.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:14 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You do what you feel is right for you ... all I would say is that if you go to live in a foreign country, you choose to do so and you should really stick to the laws of that country .
What Mitzy says is correct, if you wish to abide by the laws of that country then you must follow procedures.

If it is reassurance you are looking for, neither have I heard of anybody being investigated and know or have heard of Germans and Austrians who have lived here for 15years+ without residency, expats who sublet their council houses to finance living here and so have never been resident, expats on non transferable benefits who obviously can not become resident, expats with "questionable" incomes who dare not become resident - the list goes on. Their decision is their decision as yours is yours. What I do know about Hungary is that people are just trying to get by in life which, for many, is a difficult hand to mouth existence and the last thing on their mind is what their expat neighbour is up to.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It is not always easy but that is typical of Hungary. They tend to make a big issue out of everything, even getting a sim card for your phone. Hungary is far from perfect but all the form filling and red tape are just minor inconveniences. It is not victimisation or discrimination, as everyone gets treated much the same. There are obviously one or two corrupt officials who will make life difficult for anyone who fails to offer a bribe but they would be on dodgy ground if they gave an outright refusal of registration ( I still don't like the use of the word "residency" as that is a different thing).
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Being someone who likes to do everything by the book we really haven't had any problems so far. We don't have a pension or work here but proof of money in the bank seemed sufficient for the officials to get our registration and address card. (Registered a couple of months ago).
You need to be aware not only of the Hungarian system but the UK as well. How will you evidence that you are resident in the UK if you are not living there. Even if you have a property there that doesn't entitle you to remain a UK resident. I believe if you are intending to be out of the country for more than 6 months you become classed as non resident. Particularly if you have a UK property that you rent out you should really register as a non-resident landlord to get your tax allowances etc.
Also cars are a nightmare to sort out so we bought a Hungarian car and got our insurance here. You will need registration cards etc to do this. There are many other threads about this.
It is confusing when you first get here but we have found the local officials very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.