Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Renting in Budapest

Renting in Budapest

Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Ewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Budapest

Hi, first time poster here, and sorry if this has been asked before but… I'm planning on moving to BP in Feb/March and would appreciate any pointers on renting long term (i.e 6 months to a year). Checking out igatlan.com I see 200-250 euros for a 50m2 apartment in VI seems doable, but I wondered are prices negotiable? Is there a lot of competition right now in the rental market? Are there particular problems with a foreigner renting? I can pay six months in advance to an escrow service, is that common practice? Is there a 3rd party service in BP that could run checks for me?

Any tips or gotchas you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Budapest

Hi Ewan and welcome to the forum.

Personally, I don't know much about the rental market in Budapest though I would confidentially say that most things in Hungary are negotiable.
If you google "Budapest rent long term" it brings up numerous sites - in English. The one I looked at had several properties for rent in district 6 starting from 150 euros.

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Ewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Not trying to snark or anything, but I've got beyond the googling for it bit, and websites in Hungarian don't worry me. I'm looking for anyone who wants to share their views or experience. Again, TIA.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ewan
We currently rent in Siofok but are moving to Budapest soon. Hubbie's employer will deal with the nitty gritty. Be aware that there are a lot of sharks out there (estate agents and all that). Two months deposit or caution is usually required. Some flats have communal charges too which cannot be avoided. As you have probably sussed there are loads of internet sites devoted to renting in Budapest. Just be careful. As is usual there is often a different price for expats. Landlords understandably see euro signs when a foreigner appears. Hungarian landlords do seem to be a bit more hands on than those in the UK, nosey and interfering is porobably another way of putting it.... But on the positive side- rents are much cheaper than in London...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:38 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ewan,

I know of a 70 sq m, one bedroomed flat with huge living room, modernized to international standards & taste which a friend took at 150,000 HUF per month plus bills. The plus bit covers the building service charge (inc water) & insurance (not contents). The tenant also pays money to the landlord to cover the gas & electricity bills.

Often the landlord will take a close interest in the utility bills as if a debt builds up the company can put a charge on the property. This differs to the UK where the contracts are direct between tenant & company, & the company can not register a charge on the landlords property against a tenants debt.

The extent of the service charge plus bills element on the example is about another 36,000 HUF but as that covers gas & electricity that covers all heating.

The flat is in Deak Ferenc Utca (Fashion Street), in the very good part of District 5. and works out at about 186,000 HUF per month or just under £600.

You can get much cheaper flats in scruffier streets in District 7, but very close to District 5, at as little as 50,000 HUF. I know of one that was let by a friend at this level in a scruffy side street, Kiss Diofa, not far from Andrassy. Don't know what the service charge add on was. It is based on floor area so not much. The flat was a studio plus separate kitchen & shower rooms of about 36 sq meters in total. While the street and building are a bit untidy, the flat is right in the heart of central Budapest & everything is in walking distance & its great.