Reload this Page >

Relocation To Hungary

Relocation To Hungary

Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

MLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation To Hungary

Good Morning

I have just registered here. My name is Martin.

My primary interest is my impending relocation to Hungary, so I am particularly interested in chatting with those who know about these things particularly those who are, like me, British and buying outright a property to live in permanently and wish to buy a car,etc.

If one looks at various websites many of these things in Hungary seem overly burdened with regulation despite both the UK and Hungary being EU members and, supposedly, free movement, no restrictions,etc.

I look forward to some guidance both on this site and on specific Hungarian matters regarding my points on buying a property as a cash purchaser and this, seemingly, very confusing temporary or permanent residence permit.
My understanding, so far, is that I can neither buy a house nor a car without one of these.

Thank you
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:55 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation To Hungary

Hi Martin and welcome to the BE forums. You will find lots of useful posts on most of the topics you mention - the search facility can help you here and is located on the right hand side of the page - let me know if you need any help in finding specific information.

You do not need to be resident to purchase a property, a search for registration or address card should bring you up some valid information, as will buying a car.

As concierge of the Hungarian section, feel free to contact me if you need pointing in the right direction.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for taking the trouble and time.

Can I be clear here on the property and the car purchases?

Do I need to obtain the temporary or permanent residence card prior to buying these or does a temporary address suffice, for example, a short term let that I would need anyway prior to completing a house purchase and moving in to that?

One further matter if I may. What exactly is the requirement for this residency card (temporary or permanent)?

I am retired, 58 years of age, entirely self-sufficient, not seeking employment, a British citizen since birth.

Thank you
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Martin,
you do not need to be resident in Hungary to purchase a property - many British owners buy as a holiday home and never obtain residency.

You will need an address card to purchase a car though it might be worth considering registering a UK car in Hungary, there is a detailed thread on this subject with a tax calculator.

Regards eligibility for residency, so long as you can show an ability to financially support yourself, your pension, you will be fine.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you again.

Well I can can always buy a left-hand drive in the UK if that works out cheaper than buying the same model in Hungary.

I assume proof of ability to independently sustain oneself would be verified by bank statements with balances of some substance.
I also have my company pension.

I think what this comes down to for a Brit (for me) is the fact that a Hungarian can enter the UK, rent/buy a property , buy a car, etc and no questions asked. No permits, no fuss, free movement.
I am aware this is not exclusively a Hungarian thing because I know many of the old East still have this in place about exceeding 90 days stay even as an EU citizen, but it does strike me as awfully bureaucratic .
However that's the way it is. Seems rather inequitable to me but there it is.

Regards

Martin
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Martin,
The free movement in the EU means that EU citizens can go to any member state and 'enjoy' the same bureaucracy as the locals, which means for Hungary the need to carry proof of identity, which you don't in the UK and you need a Hungarian address to buy a car, just like the locals. You are also obliged to notify the authorities of a change of address.

Also, just like the locals if you are resident in Hungary your company pension will be zero rated for income tax, unlike the UK. (unless it is a UK government work related pension) and the OAP is also tax free for UK pensioners resident here. (By the way UK property rental income is taxed in the UK)

Caution must be used when buying property as prices are often hiked up for foreigners, and care / research must be done to avoid the bad or not so good areas. Always remember that the estate agents work for the sellers and some are not above a level of misrepresentation to get a sale and unlike the UK there is little legal redress here when such things happen.

Do you know yet where you want to settle, and if I can ask - why Hungary?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that very comprehensive reply. I take your points.

I can tell you the area is Balatonfenyves. I have spent many weeks on Lake Balaton

Why Hungary? I have been many, many times, although principally Budapest, but it's a place with a pleasant climate, sensible prices and, shall we politely say, a romantic interest which will evolve in to marriage I am certain.
Of course, or maybe not for some, the language is utterly impossible, but then again I'm an Englishman of a certain age so no surprise any language is always a problem for us!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Caution must be used when buying property as prices are often hiked up for foreigners, and care / research must be done to avoid the bad or not so good areas. Always remember that the estate agents work for the sellers and some are not above a level of misrepresentation to get a sale and unlike the UK there is little legal redress here when such things happen.
Nice to hear somebody, with no vested interest, giving the same advise that many of us have been for years.

Only a couple of weeks ago, I heard that certain agents are telling clients that myself and others on this forum only talk negatively about certain areas because 1. I don't advertise properties in those areas and 2. we all have personal grievances or want more British people in the areas we live in!!!

MLS1, as Peter says, the bureaucracy is experienced by all in Hungary and part and parcel of living here.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Of course I appreciate the final point.
What it comes down to with me is I find it absurd that there is so much bureaucracy (or perhaps for a local not that much because they are used to it) and yet the other way around (Hungarian in to the UK) it's a breeze. Come to the UK, no questions,etc. I'll not labour the point .
'When in Rome do as the Romans' so to speak. I understand that of course.

I think wherever one goes there are sharks and those exploiting foreigners and the UK would be no exception there. As a Brit I'm appalled at what I see in London being done to eastern Europeans (amongst others) with rents and deposits,etc, quite aside from the rip-off mentality in London on tourists.

I think Hungary has a long way to go in a lot of ways to get in to the mainstream and , for many, the old ways don't go away. If Mr O and his cohorts spent less time trumpeting multinationals (although it's important to have inward investment and creation of jobs) because they think it's some terrific achievement for international watchers when, in reality, these multinationals are simply there because they can pay much less for very well educated people to do the job, and more time encouraging entrepreneurial locals with subsidies and some state guaranteed bank loans for start-ups, small/medium size private enterprises. It seems to me that those wishing to really forge something for themselves, and slowly create jobs, are a complete irrelevance and the abilities of some are very high but they just cannot get going.

I have no vested interest. I simply want to be somewhere where the climate is good, the infrastructure works for an amount of people for which it has been constructed,the broadband works and the prices are sensible
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

"I simply want to be somewhere where the climate is good, the infrastructure works for an amount of people for which it has been constructed,the broadband works and the prices are sensible"

That would be Hungary then, although

the price of cheddar is not sensible, you need an address card for broadband with telenor but just a passport for a broadband dongle with Tmobile
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh one other point you will forget about bureaucracy when you get your Hungarian council tax bill
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

The high UK Council Tax was one of the main reasons for me wanting to get out of the place. The trouble is, I was daily witnessing how that money is wasted. A lot of my customers lived in council houses and I often saw council workmen putting in new kitchens etc. Invariably there would be at least 3 of them there, one working and the other 2 watching or reading the paper! They also had places where their vans and trucks would congregate for a collective skiving session.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The high UK Council Tax was one of the main reasons for me wanting to get out of the place. The trouble is, I was daily witnessing how that money is wasted. A lot of my customers lived in council houses and I often saw council workmen putting in new kitchens etc. Invariably there would be at least 3 of them there, one working and the other 2 watching or reading the paper! They also had places where their vans and trucks would congregate for a collective skiving session.
Agree with you. There was an article in the UK press recently about a council chief being given a Porsche worth £90,000 on a car lease.