British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Registering to live in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/registering-live-hungary-891072/)

rammy100 Feb 3rd 2017 2:43 pm

Registering to live in Hungary

I am a British citizen, below retirement age and considering registering to live in Hungary.

I am not employed but have savings and I own an apartment in Budapest, and I can afford to live there.

Do I need to demonstrate that I have sufficient funds and, if so, what level of savings are the authorities interested in seeing?

Do I need to obtain and prove that I have medical cover to register?

I have looked at UK Govt guidance on this subject but these two points are a little vague.

Many thanks.

Szeged Feb 3rd 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Registering to live in Hungary

If you mean to get a residence card and address card, which last 5 years, you will need to make an appointment with the immigration office in Budapest.

Ideally, when you actually bought the apartment, that is when you should of ideally made the application (to make things slightly easier); although it depends on the officer you see and time of day!....at the end of the day!

You should take your title deeds with you to prove you are the new owner or at least your final contract ("I bought the property" contract) just in case the land registry is currently processing your title deeds for example?

You need to show a EHIC card (apply for one if you do not have one, via the NHS) unless you are going to pay for your healthcare while in Hungary. That is a question on the form - private or already have insurance (i.e. ehic card).

You should take a bank statement with you. UK bs will do, but it is better to have a HU bank account and statement (just assures them you are more interested in living in Hungary). Hence more reason to grant you a residence card, etc.

I showed £1,200 when I bought my apartment, but had a HU bank statement for it (I just transfered the cash a week or so before the appointment). I was also fortunate that my HU girlfriend was there with me, which I am sure helped even though the immigration officer spoke excellent English.

One question that is not on the form, which they will more than likely ask, which you write down, is: Why do you want to stay in Hungary? You normally write two sentences or a short paragraph stating your reason(s). I.e. to renovate my new property which will take ages!

At the end of the day though I would say be honest with them, even if you are unemployed, but at the same time do not say too much. Wait for them to ask. Whether or not you are granted is a case of luck, being in the right place at the right time and so on.

If you have changed you name, deed poll papers are worth carrying; even if you are not asked for them.

Szeged Feb 3rd 2017 9:42 pm

Forgot to say, you need to buy a 1,000 Ft stamp from the post office before going to the immigration appointment. That stamp is their processing fee, which is stuck to your paperwork regardless if you are granted a residence card or not.

rammy100 Feb 4th 2017 7:04 am

Szeged - thank you for your comprehensive reply.....it was really useful.

Actually, I am only looking to register to stay there beyond 90 days and we will see what happens in the future.

Whilst I am technically unemployed, this is through choice and I am not seeking employment. I can demonstrate that I have sufficient funds to last until I can draw my pension.I have owned the apartment for 10 years now and, at the time, the apartment was bought as a holiday home and I had no plans to live there. I can't believe how much my life has changed because of that.

I already have the documents you discuss.

One part that concerns me still though is the medical cover. Are you saying that the EHIC will cover me? I find this unusual and expected that I will be forced to take out private insurance or somehow join the state scheme. Is there a difference in status between the 90 day registration and permanent residence?

Again, many thanks for your help and advice.

Szeged Feb 4th 2017 10:57 am

The residence card and address card, which go hand-in-hand (you automatically get the address card two weeks after successful application of residence card), last 5 years only. After 5 years of living in Hungary (almost constantly, bar a few holidays) you have the choice to apply for permanent reseidence which means taking a language test :ohmy: You then get a perminant plastc (credit card sized) ID Card with your photo on it.

Yes! The EHIC Card covers you as insurance. I came off my bicycle in HU and had to go to Szeged hospital where X-Rays and time at the hospital meant producing a passport and ehic card only. In fact, I didn't have my passport on me at the time and the doctor was good enough to wait an hour or so until my HU friend could bring it to the hospital as he didn't want to charge me. He said if I was to pay it could of been between £25 and £400 depending on what they found as the injury (i.e. brusing only or small operation). On another ocassion, I had too much to drink (because the friendly locals in the pub were buying me drinks (probably because a "Foreigner" was in town!) whereby I was almost unconcious after trying to cycle home at 1 am! Again, the hospital ward treatment was covered by the ehic card.

With the immigration application there a tick (check) box question about - Are you going to pay for your medical insurance [tick here] or do you have insurance already [tick here].......the immigration officer photocopied my ehic card, passport, bank statement, etc and said the ehic is fine as insurance. I further clarified this by visiting Szeged hospital months later, as ironically I was worried what would happen if I ever fell off my bicyle, and was also told by the hospital receptionist that the ehic card would be required.

Fast forward to brexit.....what will happen with the ehic card? My advice is to apply for your residence card now while the ehic card etc are still in use/valid.

rammy100 Feb 4th 2017 11:14 am

Thanks again for this Szeged.....it's very useful information.

As it happens, it's the impending Brexit stupidity that's fuelling this application. Whilst it's impossible to predict what will happen, I figure I may stand a better chance of being allowed to live within the EU if I get some sort of residence status within Hungary before the UK leaves. Of course this might not be useful at all but you just never know. As it happens I plan to spend quite a bit of time in BP this year so it fits.

I was once forced to use a hospital in BP - about 15 years ago - after I was mugged by a nutter who had followed me out of a bar very late on. It had been "happy hour" all evening and I had exploited it to the full drinking evil Dreher Bak.

To cut to the chase, after the Police returned me to a very wary hotel staff (they thought the Police had beaten me up) I found an English speaking hospital. My split lip was sewn up in the middle of the night and I was given a twin cabin where my partner was allowed to stay with me. In the morning, I was checked out and released, and wasn't charged a Forint. I was very impressed.

Anyway, I'm pleased you survived your bicycle incident.

Many thanks again.

Szeged Feb 4th 2017 11:15 am

By the way, on the second hospital ocassion I had actually been cycling for 3 hours in the evening prior to stopping off at this village pub. I was only stopping off for a refreshing drink because of the extreme evening heat, but I got talking to the bar owner who was telling me he had been in America for 14 years......we got talking, he introduced me to the locals, the locals started buying me a drink each, and before you know it it was past midnight......I still had to cycle 3 or more miles to get home. Hence, an impossible task in this situation. Hence a speedy ambulance was required (a local found me in the street).

I point the above out for two reasons. 1) I didn't intend to get drunk (honest!) and 2) because the ambulance service and hospital don't really like or tolerate drunks and drinkers in general. Your treatment by the staff will certainly be different.

Szeged Feb 4th 2017 11:22 am

Yes, I think you are right. Definately worth staying in Budapest for while......I think many people in your situation and those potential new property owners thinking of buying property within the EU before brexit really happens will certainly be brushing up their French, Spanish, etc and investing in a more affordable property and country per se.

Peter_in_Hungary Feb 4th 2017 3:49 pm

And never mind those thinking of buying property, what about those who have already bought property, work in Europe, retired to Europe and can't afford to return to the UK and those retires who are reliant on the UK state pension to keep the Wolf from the door. It seems they are all to the (disposable) pawns in the political game that is Brexit. Grrrr...

Szeged Feb 4th 2017 6:04 pm

Good points peter.

With donald trump banning people and brexiters wanting a similar ban on certain people coming in and out of the UK, it will be interesting to see if T. May really means brexit (i.e. if she follows her original ideas of limiting immigration, etc before donald came to power) or backs down after the disasterous donald effect. With the brexiters happy with doanld's immigration plans/policies, anything is possible at this stage......

rammy100 Feb 6th 2017 2:01 pm

I have one last question for you Szeged......what do I ask for at the Post Office so that I can pay the HUF1000 fee?

I have everything printed out, all my documentation etc. and I've made an appointment but I am struggling with this last piece of the jigsaw.

Many thanks again.

Szeged Feb 6th 2017 6:19 pm

szeretnék egy ezerforintos illetékbélyeget

I would like a 1,000 Ft Duty Stamp

You could just say illetékbélyeget (ILL-LEH-TAKE BAY-YEH-GET) or just print or write down the above message!

rammy100 Feb 6th 2017 6:23 pm

Perfect.....many thanks..

I hate going to the Post Office for anything as I always manage to get in the wrong queue and that's inevitable this time.....

rammy100 Feb 20th 2017 8:35 am

Just want to say thanks for your help szeged....I managed to register and everything worked perfectly. The immigration people were friendly and helpful and gave me the card without much difficulty. Thanks again.

Szeged Feb 24th 2017 10:37 pm

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well for you. Enjoy Budapest, it is a beautiful city (as is Szeged of course!) with so much to explore.