Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Reclamation yard?

Reclamation yard?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:51 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reclamation yard?

Considering Hungary is such a mend & make do country, with little being thrown away, I am surprised there are not more reclamation yards. Is this because of the fact that they don't throw anything away?
I have found one reclamation/antique shop but after a quick look they didn't have much of interest and the prices seemed rather expensive.

I am thinking along the lines of wooden beams, wooden carts, old tiles etc, items for restoring properties traditionally and sympathetically? Apart from the flea markets, anyone know of anywhere?

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reclamation yard?

I have looked online a number of times to no avail. I just did another search and found this company- although they probably are not cheap
http://www.antique-brick.net/magunkrol.php
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought you were ideally placed for finding such goodies when looking at houses for people. When I was viewing farmhouses in France there were loads of barns full of antique carts and farm implements. When you hear of people doing renovations you can ask what they are doing with the old slates, doors etc. Trouble is, your place quickly starts to look like the yard of Steptoe & Son, guess how I know?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:02 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I would have thought you were ideally placed for finding such goodies when looking at houses for people. When I was viewing farmhouses in France there were loads of barns full of antique carts and farm implements. When you hear of people doing renovations you can ask what they are doing with the old slates, doors etc. Trouble is, your place quickly starts to look like the yard of Steptoe & Son, guess how I know?

I've seen a few places like this that I thought were Gypsies in Celdomolk, you can usually tell them when you drive past their houses, I've bought a few things like a wheelbarrow and a step ladder and a iron grid for a drain cover from them but it's mostly expensive junk, I have thrown better stuff away. Not really reclaimed building materials although I'm sure they would sell it if they got hold of it, They told me they get a lot of stuff from Austria.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Jo - there is some stunning items on there, especially the stoneware, I dread to think how much they cost!

Fidobsa - When we looked in France, nearly every barn was chock full of interesting items, not the same here though. I have seen a few wine barrels and bits and pieces but nothing you would go out your way to obtain. We have had several beams from a couple of properties, some were used to make book shelves and others utilised in the garden but tiles, stoneware and larger wooden items are thin on the ground.

Anonimouse - we have one of those a couple of villages away, for ages we thought they were renovating their house before realising they actually sold the stuff. To be honest it's more like a scrap yard type place with all sorts of ..... "stuff", again, nothing really of interest.