Rats

Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rats

Good morning all,

Help & suggestions urgently wanted. .

We took possession of our house in Bussu last week & spent the week there & will be moving fully by the end of the year.

There is a definite problem with rats..previous owners had chickens & a large compost heap. Hopefully once both are cleared properly & removed, it will help.we cut back a load of ivy which stopped them getting in the outer roof cavity & a neighbouring cat did their bit too.

We do have a fish pond, which I know will alway's provide a source of water & make it more difficult.

Any & all suggestion for removal & prevention welcomed.
Also is it possible to buy Jeys Fluid or the like out there?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rats

You need a little terrier for rats.

I have a mouse problem,it's called the cat!
She is too well fed so brings mice home alive as a present, which she places by her food bowl in the kitchen. The mice then dash under the fridge and hide behind the units.
The cat of course just sits with a look of 'What! don't look at me I gave it to you so it's your problem'
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMC girl
Good morning all,

Help & suggestions urgently wanted. .

We took possession of our house in Bussu last week & spent the week there & will be moving fully by the end of the year.

There is a definite problem with rats..previous owners had chickens & a large compost heap. Hopefully once both are cleared properly & removed, it will help.we cut back a load of ivy which stopped them getting in the outer roof cavity & a neighbouring cat did their bit too.

We do have a fish pond, which I know will alway's provide a source of water & make it more difficult.

Any & all suggestion for removal & prevention welcomed.
Also is it possible to buy Jeys Fluid or the like out there?
The usual way humanity gets rid of wanted and unwanted animals is to destroy the habitat needed for the animal type. In this respect removing the chicken run should help. A properly made compost heap should not have a vermin problem. Mechanical traps work - the 'splat gotcha type' (about 3 times larger than those sold for mice) but take care where you put them otherwise you will get the local moggies with sore noses! Poison works but to get really strong effective poison you will need to call a professional (regs. control who can obtain the strong stuff). If you use poison put it in a short length of drain pipe to avoid other animals taking it.

Prevention is all about not providing a favorable habitat for them, but in this respect what your neighbour does is equally important.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Peter,

Our neighbour has an immaculate place & well manicured. The bait regularly & don't see any.

I am sure with a bit of clearance & the methods you say , we will get it sorted. There was a lot of fruit left to rot on the ground too , which wouldn't help.

Any suggestions on baiting so the cats don't take the hit?

I just want to get it started asap once we out for good.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Put the poison bait in the area that you see the rats and if you put the bait in the centre of a drain pipe (either 75mm or 100mm in dia) about 2ft long this should ensure that the cats can't get to it but the rats can. You should continue to put bait down until it is no longer taken.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Peter, will certainly do that. Have ordered traps to bring with us too.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Traps are available here!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

I know, just want a few for when we arrive, then get more if needed. Want to be able sleep on 1st night 😉😉
Old Oct 20th 2017, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMC girl
I know, just want a few for when we arrive, then get more if needed. Want to be able sleep on 1st night 😉😉
I think it's more than likely the excitement of moving to Hungary will keep you awake on the first night.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sadly it was the rats, when we spent a week there recently . So am coming prepared this time