Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Question over an extension to a Vaj building.

Question over an extension to a Vaj building.

Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question over an extension to a Vaj building.

Hopefully soon we will have a Tanya with a small house renovated in the 90's but in need of a good clean up. No bother with the roof as we have 2 and a half pallets of roof tiles and enough materials to sort it out.

The question is that we would like to enclose the patio area as it is quite big and put the bathroom there so dampness is kept away from the mud bricks. It is all on concrete and flat and stable and the main roof covers it. Been looking at commercial style insulated panels but not sure on tieing them into the building and making it all weatherproof. I have yet to chat to any of the family builders!!!

It's going to be a temporary home (until I can sell my house in England) so looking at maybe 3-4 years and then it would be converted to a workshop probably. I am getting fed up paying a lot of rent for not much! The building is in better condition than the one one we are currently renting. Just quite a bit smaller, but not all that bad.

It is perfect for the bees just needs the big field cleared up and next year some of the bigger trees cut down. ALready has electricity and a water well. And it was cheap, even by the village standards..... Up for sale for 4 years so hopefully no-one else wants it!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question over an extension to a Vaj building.

For me it would depend upon how permanent I wanted the built in patio area. If it is going to be a workshop in a few years then I would use concrete block (probably 100mm depending upon the height) with piers every 2M. with insulation on the outside (if you want any) and a pier at the abutment to the house. I would not tie it into the house as the mud bricks don't take kindly to disturbance, especially with modern building materials so I would seal the abutment join with PU foam. Otherwise you could timber frame with OSB sheeting on the outside then insulation and OSB going inwards. Again I would use squirty foam to seal the join to the house rather than try to tie in.

Either of the above could be finished to match the house.

By the way the mud bricks are vályogtégla (tégla meaning brick) Vaj means butter - but Oh wait a mo, if the vályogtégla get wet then its a butter consistency you finish up with.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jan 24th 2017 at 11:50 am.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Peter, for the info/correction on this, I was already wondering ...

A bit OT - but not too much:

We just saw before Xmas what happens to those "mud bricks" when they get wet - a neighbour had taken a wall out and left the bricks outside, then it started to rain and every day when we walked the dog we could see the partial dissolution of the bricks ...
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, only noticed my mistake quite a bit of time after.

Well after arriving back in Hungary we are postponing any large expenditures except on the bees until after I have disposed of my UK house (didn't want to but Brexit will force my hand.) There are supposedly some new planning regulations coming in that will be interesting to us certainly. If that is the case then it will be "new build" probably insulated panels thoughout. But we will have to wait and see.

I just got my new Ostermelo card so we will concentrate on the business first and see what we are left with at the end of the year. Only lost 2 colonies over the cold snap so we have been very lucky.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Jetsam, I wish you good luck with your bees!

We regularly bring honey to our friends in Germany (not too much of course, it's not a business for us) and they enjoy it - the quality of course and the price too, just as with a lot other stuff from Hungary.

Rather OT:

I traveled to Germany on Sunday and today I brought eggs from our neighbour to my friends and also things like "Piros Arany" and some bean salad my wife made (those really gigantic black/brown beans) - marvelous!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

The hard work starts now! We are finally in a position to get new hives but now I thnk we will have to keep the old ones too and expand as fast as possible. We have some quite frighteningly strong colonies so hopefully we will get enough new queens to do that......

It's really nice to be out in the countryside and hopefully we will have our new Tanya by Spetember. Maybe. If all the paperwork pans out. And if no-one else wants it. ANd the the local farming authorities let us have it. Which will be annoying as it has been up for sale for FOUR years!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jetsam

I was sent this link to new regulations coming into force this year, supposedly to reduce the bureaucracy in the real estate industry. 2016. évi CLXXIII. törvény - az egyszerű bejelentés körének bővítésére és az építésügy területén érvényesítendő további bürokráciacsökkentésre vonatkozóan az épített környezet alakításáról és védelméről szóló I think it relates to 'living houses' under 300m2. My Hungarian is still in its infancy so you will have to translate it yourself but hope it is of interest/help. Any way all the best with things.
We are finally moving over permanently this summer and are slowly getting there with our building/renovation plans. After many trials and false tribulations with architects planning regulations and communications problems we think we almost finally know what we are going to do.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
The hard work starts now! We are finally in a position to get new hives but now I thnk we will have to keep the old ones too and expand as fast as possible. We have some quite frighteningly strong colonies so hopefully we will get enough new queens to do that......

It's really nice to be out in the countryside and hopefully we will have our new Tanya by Spetember. Maybe. If all the paperwork pans out. And if no-one else wants it. ANd the the local farming authorities let us have it. Which will be annoying as it has been up for sale for FOUR years!
Are you going to get the rotating hives? (that's rotating brood chamber) I have used the manually turned ones and found that there is 100% control of swarming i.e. none! and good control of verorra. They certainly make for less work.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Are you going to get the rotating hives? (that's rotating brood chamber) I have used the manually turned ones and found that there is 100% control of swarming i.e. none! and good control of verorra. They certainly make for less work.
We've gone for standard hives as they are all compatible with what we already have. The new ones do have the hygienic bases so it will be much easier to keep clean. Keeping it simple and easy to expand to a commercial level as quickly as possible.