Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Property Purchase

Property Purchase

Old Mar 26th 2024, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Purchase

Originally Posted by Sachina
I've been resident in Hungary since 2007 but don't qualify to receive the winter fuel allowance. I know of other Brits living here who don't qualify either. It's decided on an individual basis and depends on how strong a connection you have to the UK.
I get it - and I've been here since 1995

I don't know what the criteria is.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

If you live abroad
If you do not live in the UK, you’re only eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment if:
- you moved to an eligible country before 1 January 2021
- you were born before 25 September 1957
- you have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK - this can include having lived or worked in the UK, and having family in the UK

I was born late 1959 so ..... I do wonder if once I get the UK state pension in 2025 I'll be entitled to Winter Fuel payments.

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 26th 2024 at 11:14 am.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for winter fuel allowance last year and despite meeting the following criteria which is:.......

If you live abroad
If you do not live in the UK, you âre only eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment if
- you have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK - this can include having lived or worked in the UK, and having family in the UK

Apparently for some unstated reason I don't qualify.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth asking DWP why you don't get it.
Countries warmer than warm bit of the UK don't get it - could it be that they think you (still) live in a warm country
FYI this winter it was 500 quid.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I've been resident in Hungary since 2007 but don't qualify to receive the winter fuel allowance. I know of other Brits living here who don't qualify either. It's decided on an individual basis and depends on how strong a connection you have to the UK.
When I get my UK state pension in late 2025 I'm going to try claim for it but knowing DWP it's a 110% certainty I won't get it. My Hungarian wife could qualify so she might try to claim it. We both still get PIP/DLA but the mobility allowance has been removed. Funny enough commuting in UK was easier than here. I had a Freedom Pass which I could use on buses and underground 24/7. For trains I used Oyster card with Disabled Travel Permit added so I paid less when buying ticket. Here in Hungary I get 90% off local bus to/from Miskolc but I have to say my destination. Some bus drivers are real f%£Kersey. My wife said how I pronounced two destinations was perfect! In Miskolc trams are free, plus I get 90% off train fares. When I'm 65 ..... it's all free from my understanding of latest news.

Sorry if I've gone off topic but there's lots of other things which outweigh not getting some benefits from UK.

The way I look at it is to not get angry, disappointed, frustrated, furious or feel I've been treated unfairly because I'd end up having a miserable life. Bottom line ..... enjoy what you have.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for winter fuel allowance last year and despite meeting the following criteria which is:.......

If you live abroad
If you do not live in the UK, you âre only eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment if

Apparently for some unstated reason I don't qualify.
As the 1957 date is 66 years ago I imagine it will change next year to 1958, and so on, each year - unless the regime changes again!

Originally Posted by FenTiger
When I get my UK state pension in late 2025 I'm going to try claim for it but knowing DWP it's a 110% certainty I won't get it. My Hungarian wife could qualify so she might try to claim it. We both still get PIP/DLA but the mobility allowance has been removed. Funny enough commuting in UK was easier than here. I had a Freedom Pass which I could use on buses and underground 24/7. For trains I used Oyster card with Disabled Travel Permit added so I paid less when buying ticket. Here in Hungary I get 90% off local bus to/from Miskolc but I have to say my destination. Some bus drivers are real f%£Kersey. My wife said how I pronounced two destinations was perfect! In Miskolc trams are free, plus I get 90% off train fares. When I'm 65 ..... it's all free from my understanding of latest news.

Sorry if I've gone off topic but there's lots of other things which outweigh not getting some benefits from UK.

The way I look at it is to not get angry, disappointed, frustrated, furious or feel I've been treated unfairly because I'd end up having a miserable life. Bottom line ..... enjoy what you have.

Got this from the government this morning

Dear Sir / Madam!

On March 1, the new tariffs for MÁV and Volán flights came into effect, making public transport cheaper and easier.

In addition to people over the age of 65, children under the age of 14 can also travel for free.

Those between the ages of 14 and 25 receive a 50 percent discount.

Public employees can use the 50 percent discount for an unlimited number of trips.

For those who used to travel with a 90 percent discount (for example, large families, people with disabilities), intercity transportation became free.

Two new daily tickets are also available: Vármegye24 for HUF 999 and Magyarország24 for HUF 4,999.

The popular county and country pass can still be purchased.

Last edited by Finknottle; Mar 26th 2024 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know if the supplementary charge is still made for buses that go on the motorways?
Old Mar 27th 2024, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if the supplementary charge is still made for buses that go on the motorways?
Try this Peter!

https://www.volanbusz.hu/en/travel-i...domestic-fares