Reload this Page >

Property Purchase

Property Purchase

Old Mar 24th 2024, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Arkwright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property Purchase

Hi all,

Does anybody here have any experience with buying property post-Brexit?

On the front of my resident card it says "MEGJEGYZESEK KILÉPÉSI MEGÁLLAPODÁS 18. CIKKÉNEK (1) BEKEZDÉSE ALAPJÁN" which Google translates to "issued under Withdrawal Agreement Article 18 Paragraph (1)" and on the back it says "Nemzeti letelepedési engedély" which to me looks like I've got Permanent Residence under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, my Hungarian wife did all the talking and form filling at the time and I just signed the paperwork and paid the money but she doesn't really know what they gave me and what it means (bureaucracy isn't her thing) and she doesn't really care anyway (soon to be ex-wife but that's for another day).

When I applied for residency it was at our local office who said it was going to be one thing but after it was sent off we got a call from the main immigration office saying to cancel that application, re-apply and they'll give me something better so I think I got away with a late application, we'd already had a house here and bills in my name for several years previous which swayed it I think.

Never expecting to be divorced I was just happy I had a resident card and I had always thought it was issued under "family reunification" as it was never a big concern for me up until now.
So with the divorce pending I'm far better off with a Brexit one than a family reunification one, as my options are suddenly far greater.

My question is: will I need to apply for permission to purchase property as a 3rd Country National or will my resident status override that due to the continuity of rights?

Initially I thought about returning to live in the UK but after I popped back a couple of weeks ago for a few days and I saw how miserable everbody looked and how they were all rushing around like lunatics I decided against it and will have a go here on my own.

I like it here, I struggle with the language but I don't want to give up and return with my tail between my legs, I'm too old and stubborn for that.

Old Mar 24th 2024, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Purchase

Originally Posted by Arkwright
Hi all,

Does anybody here have any experience with buying property post-Brexit?

On the front of my resident card it says "MEGJEGYZESEK KILÉPÉSI MEGÁLLAPODÁS 18. CIKKÉNEK (1) BEKEZDÉSE ALAPJÁN" which Google translates to "issued under Withdrawal Agreement Article 18 Paragraph (1)" and on the back it says "Nemzeti letelepedési engedély" which to me looks like I've got Permanent Residence under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, my Hungarian wife did all the talking and form filling at the time and I just signed the paperwork and paid the money but she doesn't really know what they gave me and what it means (bureaucracy isn't her thing) and she doesn't really care anyway (soon to be ex-wife but that's for another day).

When I applied for residency it was at our local office who said it was going to be one thing but after it was sent off we got a call from the main immigration office saying to cancel that application, re-apply and they'll give me something better so I think I got away with a late application, we'd already had a house here and bills in my name for several years previous which swayed it I think.

Never expecting to be divorced I was just happy I had a resident card and I had always thought it was issued under "family reunification" as it was never a big concern for me up until now.
So with the divorce pending I'm far better off with a Brexit one than a family reunification one, as my options are suddenly far greater.

My question is: will I need to apply for permission to purchase property as a 3rd Country National or will my resident status override that due to the continuity of rights?

Initially I thought about returning to live in the UK but after I popped back a couple of weeks ago for a few days and I saw how miserable everbody looked and how they were all rushing around like lunatics I decided against it and will have a go here on my own.

I like it here, I struggle with the language but I don't want to give up and return with my tail between my legs, I'm too old and stubborn for that.
​​​​​Like you we secured residency under the terms of the Brexit withdrawal agreement - purchasing a second property last year we had to apply to the Aliens Policing Directorate to obtain an additional document before proceeding. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about this document as our lawyer has it on file. It wasn't difficult and didn't cost anything. I think the Hungarian Bar Association was involved in sorting out the procedure following some issues last year. Suggest you check with your lawyer.
Old Mar 24th 2024, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Finknottle
​​​​​Like you we secured residency under the terms of the Brexit withdrawal agreement - purchasing a second property last year we had to apply to the Aliens Policing Directorate to obtain an additional document before proceeding. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about this document as our lawyer has it on file. It wasn't difficult and didn't cost anything. I think the Hungarian Bar Association was involved in sorting out the procedure following some issues last year. Suggest you check with your lawyer.
I was just wondering before I got to that stage as I've read that it takes up to 4 weeks to come through, costs 50.000 HUF and requires several bits of paperwork including a police report.
I've no issue with doing all that but am preparing myself mentally for all the red tape to come, everything in Hungary looks and sounds easy to do but it's usally far from that in my experience, even the locals get frustrated at times.
Except for the rare occasion when you expect something to be a complete and utter nightmare and it's surprisingly simple, like when I exchanged my UK driving licence I had to go to Budapest (3 hours by train away) because I wanted to keep my HGV entitlement on it, the lady was very nice and helpful, I was in and out in under 30 minutes and it came by post the following week. Digicard was a different story, that came after making an appointment for 6 weeks down the line but then it turns out employers require a PAV card which I have yet to do as that is another trip to Budapest and I have to carry out some aptitude tests even though I had been doing the job for 25 years before we moved here. No problems though, I will get it done sooner or later.
On the plus side if you have a farm tractor towing two trailers you need moving then I'm your man
Old Mar 24th 2024, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Our procedure was quick, cost nothing and just involved the checking of our cards (against the computer records) at the interview. Unfortunately I can't remember the details but it was straightforward - do bear in mind that our lawyer did the application.
Old Mar 24th 2024, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

that's good to hear, sounds like we have continuation of rights on this as well then.

thanks
Old Mar 24th 2024, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

that's good to hear, sounds like we have continuation of rights on this as well then.

thanks
That's my understanding - as opposed to those buying anew, post Brexit.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been to the UK since moving here nearly four years ago. I cannot see myself ever returning to live. Like you I like it here and struggle with the language. Luckily, I know enough Hungarians who can speak English.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

For me the key to returning or staying would be the ability to earn or get enough money to get a life style close to what you want. Work opportunities, pension expectations etc.. The Hungarian social security net is nothing like as generous as the UK although rurally the social care for the elderly is better than the UK (Budapest is different because there there are funds and manpower shortages that don't seem to affect the villages). Whilst no one plans to be needy in their old age sometimes events run out of control.

Said as a pensioner but I don't know how close Arkwright is to retirement.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
For me the key to returning or staying would be the ability to earn or get enough money to get a life style close to what you want. Work opportunities, pension expectations etc.. The Hungarian social security net is nothing like as generous as the UK although rurally the social care for the elderly is better than the UK (Budapest is different because there there are funds and manpower shortages that don't seem to affect the villages). Whilst no one plans to be needy in their old age sometimes events run out of control.

Said as a pensioner but I don't know how close Arkwright is to retirement.
I'm close enough to retirement to be worried about it but not far enough away to do much about it.
I don't have a private pension, maybe a few bits and pieces from previous employers but it'll probably add up to no more than 100.000 Ft./month. at best.

At present the UK State Pension goes a lot farther here than it would in the UK, I have over 30 years contributions and my latest forecast said I should get the full whack (unless they change it again).
I won't get the bits and pieces of added benefits like winter fuel payments added on but as far as I'm aware Hungary doesn't tax you on your pension so it's swings and roundabouts.

The main thing I have to consider is that I would be a homeowner when retiring here but would have to rent in the UK, I've no family in the UK to fall back on and no long lost millionaire relatives either, they would have turned up when researching my family tree many years ago, so my choices for retirement are either I can struggle in the UK and constantly gripe about everything or live a relatively stress free retirement out in the sticks here.

I'm happy living a fairly simple life, I don't need latest gadgets or tropical beaches twice a year or anything like that, as long as the bills are paid and there's food in the fridge I'm happy with that.

Old Mar 25th 2024, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I won't get the bits and pieces of added benefits like winter fuel payments added on but as far as I'm aware Hungary doesn't tax you on your pension so it's swings and roundabouts.
Why won't you?
Old Mar 25th 2024, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Finknottle
Why won't you?
I looked on here: gov.uk/uk-benefits-abroad

Old Mar 25th 2024, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

I've got another 10 or 11 years to worry about it and the way they are going they'll probably do away with everything by then anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

You get winter fuel allowance in Hungary if you were resident here before January 2021

And you need 35 years NI contributions to get the full State OAP. It used to be 30 years but that was for the old amount. The new State OAP is higher but needs 35 years.

Divorce can affect private pensions - for both parties.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

And you need 35 years NI contributions to get the full State OAP. It used to be 30 years but that was for the old amount. The new State OAP is higher but needs 35 years.
I was after the cut-off date unfortunately.
And I just checked my pension forecast....

Old Mar 26th 2024, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

You get winter fuel allowance in Hungary if you were resident here before January 2021

Divorce can affect private pensions - for both parties.
I've been resident in Hungary since 2007 but don't qualify to receive the winter fuel allowance. I know of other Brits living here who don't qualify either. It's decided on an individual basis and depends on how strong a connection you have to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.