Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Post Easter cold!

Post Easter cold!

Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post Easter cold!

Hope everybody managed that cold wave after Easter!

We had guests over Easter and it was really nice and warm, went to the castle in Keszthely with them and to the Balaton pier where we had icecream and beer and a langós (the best palce for that is a kiosk between those two derelict hotels).

But then - the temperature dropped and a kind of snow storm came up which lasted two days!

The really bad side of this: many blooms froze - don't know whether we will have fruits on our trees this year and the grapevines also were hurt ...

How did you manage that return of winter?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Post Easter cold!

Well I don't know about plants, but for the last two weeks I was all over Hungary wherby I hit Kecskemét and our ice creams were literally melting quicker than we could lick them! In Budapest I was sweating in the immigration centre (heat-wise), got back to the UK and found photos of Foráskút on Facebook where my friend's village plot and house was full of snow.

Still, the weather beats all year round gloomy UK weather.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the same here. Had a really nice day out in Hollókő.......then we had Tuesday and Wednesday :/ It looks like the emerging leaves on the walnut tree have died off but pretty much every. Yesterday afternoon I drove home with snowfall, this afternoon I drove home with the sunroof open and the heater set to cold.
Sod's law I picked my motorbike up last Thursday after 5 weeks of repairs and new műszaki and I haven't had chance to ride it yet.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, with the wind-chill it felt as cold outside as the coldest days of winter. I had to go to the barn to cut and spit logs for the fire but could not bear to be out there more than about half an hour at a time. It was still very cold here this morning but I noticed on the forecast there seemed to be localised spots getting temperatures into double figures. I don't know about the apple trees and vines but my fig tree seems to be dead. That is probably nothing to do with the cold spell though. I had to cut it back hard to get access to one of the windows and I probably overdid it. I was not too happy about having a tree so close to the house anyway but I suppose it was planted there deliberately to give it some protection.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't get below zero here even with about 5 cm snow!! Fortunately it then rained and rained and rained.....

Apparently 40% of Hungarian bees have been lost so far this year.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

For once my part of Hungary seems to have got off lightly compared to the rest. It was snowing when I got up on Tuesday morning, but not settling and by lunchtime had turn into a light drizzle. The worst thing was the bitterly cold gale force wind which made standing upright pretty difficult!

Unfortunately, I had to drive into town and run the gauntlet of broken branches strewn across the road, always scary as most of the trees lining the country lanes are very old. As far as I can see the blossom on my fruit trees hasn't been affected, so maybe this year I'll have a good crop.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly was a shock!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Sachina, you can count yourself lucky!

Probably many fruit trees were hit by the cold - my wife just read somewhere that maybe 90% of the fig trees might be gone. I hope ours is ok, those figs are really good!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Alcogod is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot wait to move to hungary. I like extreme weather and it seems like it gets both ends. In England it just seems the same all the time just slightly warmer/colder. Way too boring for me.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Alcogod, if you like extremes just wait for summer ...

After having had too many summers where I couldn't even sleep naked without a cover at night because of the heat I ihad air condition installed in the bedroom and living room. Though we only use it maybe a week or two a year it really helps ...
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 8:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Marvellous climate, proper summers, proper winters!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, almost like Siberia!

This reminds me of a joke from Communist times that my wife told me:

there is a competition somewhere in hungary and after the winner is announced he gets told the first prize:

A one week's holiday in Siberia!

He considers this for a moment and then says:

I'd be happy to take the second prize, what would that be?

The answer:

A two weeks' holiday in Siberia!