Photo ID Card?

Old Jan 4th 2017, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Pandem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Photo ID Card?

I need to renew my British passport, which requires sending the old one away to the UK. Problem is I don't have any other kind of ID while I wait for the new one...

I don't drive so I have no drivers license, and my old UK provisional expired already. My understanding as well is that I cannot renew it without being resident in the UK.

Not sure if the Hungarian drivers license acts similar to the UK where you can have the ID without having a full license, as most of my searches detailed the full process (which seems time consuming/convoluted enough that I may as well just wait the 3-6 weeks it'll take to get the new passport).

So... Are there any kind of cheap photo IDs available that would allow me to identify myself if I'm stopped in the street, and/or travel within Europe? Or at the very least some kind of secondary ID? Alternatively some way to avoid having to send my passport back that doesn't include reporting it lost/stolen.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 4th 2017, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Photo ID Card?

you could try the "emergency passport" route....

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any cheap photo ids but in any case I don't see that any such document would be acceptable to the authorities.
I would suggest that you contact the British Embassy in Budapest (contact details via google) and ask them what they suggest.
On the other hand whilst I have been stopped for routine checks whilst driving, in nearly 23 years here I have never been asked for ID whilst in the street or any other place. So if you don't drive and don't need to do any official business then I wouldn't worry.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, I'm not so sure ...

The bank (OTP) always asks for an id, even though the ladies there have known me for years - they have to note the id no.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Peter_in_Hungary;12142484
On the other hand whilst I have been stopped for routine checks whilst driving, in nearly 23 years here I have never been asked for ID whilst in the street or any other place. So if you don't drive and don't need to do any official business then I wouldn't worry.[/QUOTE]

I agree...for the sake of not having your passport for a couple of weeks...the additional hassle of getting some form of photo ID isn't really worth it imho.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Making a photocopy of your passport before you send it off wouldn't hurt.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I go with Polly and Watchpost,
I took a photocopy just in case and then posted Passport, didn't need it.
Make sure your OTP account is sorted and can survive a few weeks without your intervention and the lack of ID will not be a problem.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Pandem is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, I was planning to go down the photocopy route + carry my passport application form but wanted to check if there was some short-term quick fix option but seems not.

Never been stopped/needed it beyond any kind of official purpose as well, but expect if there's going to be a first time... it's going to be while I'm waiting.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Photocopy - to be sure get the copy notarised.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you had to send it to Germany, together with about 200 Euros, over twice the price they charge for UK residents?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
you could try the "emergency passport" route....

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
That's only if need to return to the UK in an emergency. Consular staff won't issue one simply to tide the OP over for a couple of weeks as a form of photo ID.

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I thought you had to send it to Germany, together with about 200 Euros, over twice the price they charge for UK residents?
Not for several years now.

To the OP: A simple photocopy will suffice for peace of mind. If it takes more than two weeks for you to receive your new passport I'll be surprised.