Reload this Page >

Pension payments in Hungary

Pension payments in Hungary

Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

logger56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension payments in Hungary

Hi !

We plan on retiring to Hungary after selling our house. I believe UK citizens of retirement age with a social security pension are entitled to the same medical health coverage as Hungarians. Its an EU thing.

In some EU countries like France they have what they call social costs (taxes) where you have to pay something like 7% of your pension income into the system in order to pay for things like medical health coverage. Does anyone know what the situation is in Hungary regarding such payments ?

I did read somewhere that pensions arent taxed in Hungary but its not clear to me whether a pensioner would still be expected to pay social insurance costs (taxes) out of their pension income ?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

You may use the Hungarian heath service as a pensioner under reciprocal arrangements if you are resident [requires an address card and a residence card and going to the relevant Hungarian [County] city to obtain appy for your TAJ [national health card].
documents required are...
IDcard/residence permit.
Address card.
Certificate of insurance [for pensioners E121form].
... As a pensioner, you pay no insurance for this.
If you are visiting prior to taking up residence then your european health Card
[EHIC] will do in emergency.

This is as I understand the rules.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

.... to add, Under the double taxation scheme you would pay tax on your pension[s] either at source {UK} or in Hungary. Note that some government pensions [eg., Military, Civil Service] are always taxed at source and the tax liability is not transferable.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension payments in Hungary

We lived in a neighbouring country for a couple of years.
My advice is do not rely on them taking the Reciprocal card for all your care.

We had a child who developed a medical condition and it was emergency. They are supposed to accept the card, however when it actually came down to it. The guys from the payments department came down to the ward and basically told us most of the things had to be paid for upfront or were not covered! When its an emergency you have got no choice but to pay!

Therefore we got hit with a rather large bill.

Yes they should take the card but some hospitals will make you pay anyway.
So have plenty of saving just in case.

Im now in Australia and the reciprocal card was great, we got all treatment free. However Eastern Europe basically try and get out of it and I would not rely on it for your only means of medical treatment. If you do, you may be hit with a rather large bill!

Gems