Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Northern Hungary

Northern Hungary

Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Hungary

Thanks, Peter, for your clear words!

Actually where I'm from in Germany (the SChönbuch forest south of Stuttgart) we also have many ticks (Zecken in German) so my doc told me to get preventive injections - not for Lyme disease (there are none ...) but for the other sicknes that's tranported by ticks and is even more dangerous:

FSME - which destroys your brain!

And you shouldn't forget the tick treatment for your dogs and cats - just yesterday we heard from a neighbour that they lost their dog to a tick bite - it just showed symptoms for a week, but the vet couldn't help it, so it died ...
Old Aug 8th 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

kohoutek is an unknown quantity at this point

We have two houses
one in Nick ... 100 year old
other in Uraiújfalu .... 60 year old which is in process of extension etc.

We retire here next April/May

Michael/Julie
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Second day in Malyi ... been down to Malyi-To ..... not been bitten yet ... might be the garlic non-odour vitamins I've been taking for a week.
My wife's family always put small dish of vanilla sugar under and on table.
I also read something in a book about putting some sort of lemon scented tea lights in a dish filled with water. I assume the tea lights float! Not sure if lemon is the right kind of scented tea lights but I'm sure someone here may know of something better.
P.S. discovered yesterday there's an English guy living on same road as my wife's parents.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Second day in Malyi ... been down to Malyi-To ..... not been bitten yet ... might be the garlic non-odour vitamins I've been taking for a week.
My wife's family always put small dish of vanilla sugar under and on table.
I also read something in a book about putting some sort of lemon scented tea lights in a dish filled with water. I assume the tea lights float! Not sure if lemon is the right kind of scented tea lights but I'm sure someone here may know of something better.
P.S. discovered yesterday there's an English guy living on same road as my wife's parents.
You probably mean citronella which actually works well in keeping mozzies at bay. When I was a child yonks years ago we used to spend our holidays in the South of France which was rife with mosquitoes and my mother always made sure we were smothered in citronella oil to repel the beasts! Smells horrible but nevertheless effective.

Do you get mosquitoes in Malyi? I go to Kistokaj every week and have never noticed any there and there doesn't appear to be any either the other side of Miskolc or where I live which is about 20 km from Encs.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

blackwaterman is an unknown quantity at this point

The vitamin B theory, in the shape only of Marmite, is what I've heard to be effective. Of course, you either love it or hate it!
European Dr's are much more knowledgeable than UK ones, who are only just waking up to the increased prevalence attributed to global warming effects. Tick-borne diseases look really scary and long-term, definitely to be avoided.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
You probably mean citronella which actually works well in keeping mozzies at bay. When I was a child yonks years ago we used to spend our holidays in the South of France which was rife with mosquitoes and my mother always made sure we were smothered in citronella oil to repel the beasts! Smells horrible but nevertheless effective.

Do you get mosquitoes in Malyi? I go to Kistokaj every week and have never noticed any there and there doesn't appear to be any either the other side of Miskolc or where I live which is about 20 km from Encs.
Sachina, yes that's right its citronella scented tea lights which I read about. Sorry we didn't make plans to meet up. Left it too late to book hire car and realised as we're on a shorter stay plus the father in law hasn't been in the best of health we may not get opportunity to meet up. We had a couple from Malyi staying with us in June and not only took them to lots of places but forked out for the travel passes which cost my wife a fortune, so ... hoping they return the favour.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mosquitoes in Malyi - depends .... some years there's been loads others not too bad .... haven't seen the plane spraying this year.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosbies is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely citronella for garden and patio times. Garlic is a great way to naturally repel mozzies and believe it or not but the more you consume the less it smells - tried and tested! Also if it's really bad in your location a slice of lemon in a bowl of water by your bed works too.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

A but OT re garlic:

You can get garlic cloves in oil - ready to put into your salad or eat them right away in some supermarkets, Lidl eg when it has Spanish week ...
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
A but OT re garlic:

You can get garlic cloves in oil - ready to put into your salad or eat them right away in some supermarkets, Lidl eg when it has Spanish week ...
I've made my ownand have done for years. Peel the garlic cloves, then chop them if you prefer and put in a glass jar and cover with either sunflower or olive oil. Keep in the fridge.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

stargate1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mozzi and Tick repellent...

Rose-Geranium oil in one of those hand-held garden sprays works well and smells wonderful.
Especially effective against ticks too. Syünyogs don't like it either.

You can buy a small bottle of oil for about 500ft and it lasts weeks. I put about 10 drops in the spray so its nice and strong. Best to just spray onto your arm/leg etc...and rub in like most insect sprays.

Try it.

Last edited by stargate1234; Aug 10th 2016 at 5:45 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

well I only popped in to add I forgot I use "skin so soft" from Avon the original clear version seemingly the US marines use it dont know about them but it works for me

now Im going to google ticks now peters scarred the living begeebies out of me still better forwarned as they say
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by heli2010
well I only popped in to add I forgot I use "skin so soft" from Avon the original clear version seemingly the US marines use it dont know about them but it works for me

now Im going to google ticks now peters scarred the living begeebies out of me still better forwarned as they say
Do yoou mean 'Avon Skin so Soft Bug Guard'

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-b...rd/?setlang=en
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Do yoou mean 'Avon Skin so Soft Bug Guard'

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-b...rd/?setlang=en
the one I use is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Skin-O.../dp/B002MDAOSQ I cant seem to find it on Avon at the moment a 250ml bottle last me about 4 months using every day

Last edited by heli2010; Aug 15th 2016 at 8:06 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

My wife got bitten by an infected tick last year. Fortunately I recognized the red ring with a bullseye. Straight to hospital and put on a massive dose of antibiotics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.