Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

New immigration process

New immigration process

Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New immigration process

Thank you Szeged - that is exactly the card I have ! There does not appear to be any expiry date on it either.
Does that mean I will have to do a separate application for the address card or will that be sent later to my home in Hungary?
I hope to be back there soon but can't stay there full time just yet as need to be working and need to build up a little business in Hungary to permanently stay there !

Last edited by hobgoblins; Jun 21st 2017 at 10:58 am. Reason: Added detail
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

No! Two weeks later you should of received your pink/red/green address card. It would of come by recorded delivery. If the postman could not deliver it to your HAND, he will NOT of put it in your letterbox. He would of left a recorded delivery card in your letterbox whereby you should of then gone to the sorting (collection) post office to sign for your delivery (address card).

If you got your residence permit but then left Hungary without collecting/signing for your address card, it will be return to the immigration department - Which means you will need to visit the immigration office again so they can chase up where your address card has been left.

BTW - The immigration office should of explained the two week process to you before you left their appointment/building.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Szeged - looks like I had better come over and chase it up then !!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just returned from the immigration office.

The card just received is the registration card - as I understand matters. The card to be posted is the address card.

GBA
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, that is its correct title, but I refer to it as a Residency Permit (or Residency Card) just because it entitles/permits the holder to reside in Hungary. In other words, I might REGISTER with a GP, but that wording just implies I have registered only (put my name and address etc on an application form) even though it then means you are entitled to NHS treatment. I think they should call it Permit or Residency something because it says more than just registered - You are now permitted to do something (i.e. live and work in Hungary). Anyway, at least the Address Card has a "proper" title!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah!. Thanks.

The way you put it makes perfect sense.

GBA
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:08 am
Just Joined

msecchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Need help! Presenting my application next week and I have all documents that have been mentioned in the posts.....only one questions...

"..... but when I come back I must not forget the "stamp" I reached into my wallet and pulled out the 1000 F stamp duty - thank you Szeged"

Where do I get it and how is it called in Hungarian??

Thanks!

Marco
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

It is the Duty Stamp (illetékbélyeg) and is bought from any post office. You need to buy it BEFORE visiting the immigration office. They do not accept cash etc and cannot process (finalise) your application without it; regardless if your application is successful or not. So it is non-refundable!
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:49 am
Just Joined

msecchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Szeged!!
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying the summer!

Just to add something else into the mix here, I understand that after 5 years an EEA residence card holder can apply for Permanent Residence.

The immigration office states the following:

'The entry and stay of EEA nationals is governed by Act I of 2007 on the Admission and Residence of Persons with the Right of Free Movement and Residence, and in accordance with this Act, EEA nationals may receive a registration certificate, and/or a permanent residence card after 5 years of continuous residence in Hungary.'

I don't really understand what the difference is. Can anyone clarify?

Here is the link to the Immigration Office (in English) for anyone who is interested. http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?lang=en

Many thanks
Old Apr 1st 2018, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,
Just thought I would post this update in case anyone does not know.
The duty stamp that you used to need from the post office to get your residence permit/address card is no longer required as of January 2018.
You can now pay by card at the immigration office.
Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2018, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

As far as I understand it - The first would allow you to be resident etc with conditions (i.e. you were not continuously staying in Hungary for 5 years solid and therefore may need to take a Hungarian language test for example in order to qualify for permanent residancy) whereas the latter is stating: as long as you have done the five years solid you should automatically get permanent residancy; without the need for a language test for example.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
As far as I understand it - The first would allow you to be resident etc with conditions (i.e. you were not continuously staying in Hungary for 5 years solid and therefore may need to take a Hungarian language test for example in order to qualify for permanent residancy) whereas the latter is stating: as long as you have done the five years solid you should automatically get permanent residancy; without the need for a language test for example.
So I assume over 5 years you do not need to get the permanent card for residency which is form filling and a fee, going to your local document office?
Old Apr 1st 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

You would still need to make an application for the permanent residency of course, but it will/would be easier if the criteria where met first (i.e. you stayed in Hungary for 5 years solid).

As the immigration officer told me last year: On the standard issue residency permit, which does not expire, "You can live in Hungary forever if you wish"!

I think the real issue of standard residency permit vs permanent residency card, especially with brexit, is whether or not you want to live permanently in Hungary or be able to live in England and Hungary. I, for example, like the idea of the standard residency permit allowing me to live between/in the two countries as/when need be. Also, for me, it was about the property initially, but now I am married to a Hungarian it is about the family needs, etc.

At the end of the day a lot of what is said now will probably change with brexit, so even the immigration office to a certain degree will not be that up-to-date in the near future if things keeps changing rapidly with brexit terms and conditions. My HU Wife is considering dual nationality for example, but I will not know which country that leaves me in in two years time! And whether or not her dual nationality would be void after brexit.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged
You would still need to make an application for the permanent residency of course, but it will/would be easier if the criteria where met first (i.e. you stayed in Hungary for 5 years solid).

As the immigration officer told me last year: On the standard issue residency permit, which does not expire, "You can live in Hungary forever if you wish"!

I think the real issue of standard residency permit vs permanent residency card, especially with brexit, is whether or not you want to live permanently in Hungary or be able to live in England and Hungary. I, for example, like the idea of the standard residency permit allowing me to live between/in the two countries as/when need be. Also, for me, it was about the property initially, but now I am married to a Hungarian it is about the family needs, etc.

At the end of the day a lot of what is said now will probably change with brexit, so even the immigration office to a certain degree will not be that up-to-date in the near future if things keeps changing rapidly with brexit terms and conditions. My HU Wife is considering dual nationality for example, but I will not know which country that leaves me in in two years time! And whether or not her dual nationality would be void after brexit.
Get what you mean but if we did get the permanent residency, if we wanted to go back to UK having UK citizenship I assume it would not be a problem ??? no-one knows what the "powers at be" will decide just like the vote on brexit was well short of information and no-one knew what it would or will entail, only views.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.