British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   New immigration process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/new-immigration-process-895219/)

Szeged Apr 10th 2017 3:05 pm

New immigration process

Hi All,

Just been informed that the immigration office (on Budafoki Ut in Budapest) are now wanting 3 months of "proof of income" FROM A HUNGARIAN BANK ACCOUNT ONLY. They are no longer interested in your overseas bank account or cases where you just dump foreign money into a HU bank account "to show immigration you have the money". Now they want to see regular income in the HU bank account (around 100,000 Ft per month upwards should do the trick).

fidobsa Apr 10th 2017 3:41 pm

Re: New immigration process

Is this to get residency?

Szeged Apr 10th 2017 4:04 pm

That is to get a temporary (up to 5 years valid) Residence Card & Address Card.

After the five years whereby you can become permanent resident, you could be unemployed of course (i.e. work up until the 5 years, apply for permanent residency and then sit on you back side ;)

fidobsa Apr 10th 2017 6:03 pm

I have never heard mention that residency was only valid for 5 years. I just checked my cards and neither show an expiry date. If they were only for 5 years they must have expired about 2 months ago.

Szeged Apr 10th 2017 6:21 pm

The up to 5 years Residence Card & Address Card is what you get when you first come to Hungary. The residence card has a number on it and the address card has a date on it (date of immigration interview) and no photo id - After 5 years you can apply for a permanent residency with photo id. So if you have a photo id you are permanent.

jetsam1 Apr 10th 2017 6:34 pm

Sounds like fun for the self employed! With the bees I get paid once or twice a year!

No-one mentioned to us there was a 5 year limit? Need to look into that.

Szeged Apr 10th 2017 6:39 pm

When I was getting my residence card and asked the immigration officer "How long is it valid for?" his reply was "normally 5 years, but I will give you an indefinite one".

I'm assuming the 5 years, at that time (2014), was because they assumed you would either apply for permanent residency (photo id) or quit hungary?

Szeged Apr 10th 2017 7:43 pm

Food for thought by the way - Anyone who has stayed in Hungary for ages will know that Department #1 tells you 2 and Department 2 (who does'nt even talk to department #1) tells you 1 whereby you then get the answer 4 ;) This is true of some TAJ offices for example. They tell you about E104 when it should be S041 and then, because they do not want to do the legwork, tell you to visit the HMRC; when it should be their job to do that side of the TAJ process.

enter Apr 10th 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 12226077)
I have never heard mention that residency was only valid for 5 years. I just checked my cards and neither show an expiry date. If they were only for 5 years they must have expired about 2 months ago.

Same here, did not know it runs out ????? no-one I know has mentioned it very strange

Peter_in_Hungary Apr 10th 2017 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12225896)
Hi All,

Just been informed that the immigration office (on Budafoki Ut in Budapest) are now wanting 3 months of "proof of income" FROM A HUNGARIAN BANK ACCOUNT ONLY. They are no longer interested in your overseas bank account or cases where you just dump foreign money into a HU bank account "to show immigration you have the money". Now they want to see regular income in the HU bank account (around 100,000 Ft per month upwards should do the trick).

Seems reasonable - But do they care where it comes from i.e. could it be transferred from from the prospective residents foreign bank account monthly, or does it have to be from a Hungarian source which could imply gainful employment.

I presume that there is some method of accounting for irregular income as from self-employment (e.g. jetsam1 above) but that would imply some proper forethought going into the new regulations - Hmm in typical Hungarian fashion perhaps the Mk2 regs. might cater for this !!

Szeged Apr 10th 2017 9:23 pm

My HU GF just told me the full story (she must of been on the sauce earlier :o - Apparently, the HU bank account was only needed because the EU man (partner from the UK) withdrew all his money, took it to Hungary and went to live in Hungary with his HU GF whereby he went to the immigration office days later with an empty bank statement. This caused compliations whereby he had no papers (i.e. he wasn't buying a house or working, etc) and had to open some sort of joint HU bank account with his HU GF. This is because immigration wanted proof he could support himself for at least 3 months before issuing him a residence card and address card.

Appologies for the confusion :o:o:o:o:o:o

Szeged Apr 11th 2017 5:23 pm

Just visited the immigration office in Budapest and can confirm that the residence card is unlimited - valid for as long as you are alive in Hungary ;)

The immigration officer also told me the money is just a formality.

Furthermore, if u work in Hungary to get the residence permit or buy a property to get a residence permit, both residence permits are the same - unlimited.

Bus 133e is the best way to get there as it also stops right outside their building.

As to my immigration officer in 2014, I can only assume he had a dry sense of humour!

scrubbedexpat142 Apr 11th 2017 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12226230)

Appologies for the confusion :o:o:o:o:o:o

Don't apologise, threads like this always bring out useful information!

Szeged Apr 12th 2017 1:49 am

This is why I am confirming many things in Budapest and Szeged for example because there is so much inaccurate information with regards to staff not being given up-to-date information in Hungary; which then filters down to false information on the internet with regards to their own websites (lack of up-to-date information). The different departments do not talk to each other in other words.

msecchi Apr 28th 2017 12:23 pm

Hi all couple of questions!
a) Is the HU Bank requirement even if you own a property in HU
b) We are is VAS County ....which one is the correct department to apply?? I am in a very early stage to apply but decided to ask you anyway! thanks in advance