Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

My Hungarian Health Service Experience.

My Hungarian Health Service Experience.

Old Aug 6th 2015, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Hungarian Health Service Experience.

Hello.

Thought I'd share my experience over the last few months with the Hungarian Health service as I have had a major operation in the last week. This was Bajcsy-Zsillinsky Korhaz in Budapest. I am a 33 year old in fair health.

Went to the GP with quite a bit of abdominal pain and was sent straight to the hospital to their version of A and E. There and then had an ultrasound and an X-ray. Over the next couple of months I had two colonoscopies, another ultrasound, further X-ray, a CT scan and multiple blood tests etc. Further than this the operation which resulted in a week of hospitalisation.

I had 30cm of intestine removed. I had a very unpleasant time with it but the hospital staff were very good. I found the Drs all very businesslike and professional if sometimes a little cold (more due to the language barrier I think and cultural norms). The nurses were efficient and showed good caring skills. In terms of language most of the Doctors had some level of English and the younger Doctors had good language skills. Staffing levels I considered good and levels of cleanliness high. The ward I was in was only 3 beds but some other rooms were larger and the hospital did seem to have been part way through a major refit that had been abandoned!! All the equipment was modern and well maintained however.

All in all I found the system paperwork heavy but I cannot fault the staff and the sheer amount of diagnostics that were carried out. The hospital was fine but I have no terms of reference as this was the first time I have had any operation or been in a hospital for more than an hour or so. So all in all I think they were pretty good. I am just housebound for at least another week and off work for 2 months (though I think I will have to leave my job as I don't fancy physical work before I will have properly healed).
Old Aug 8th 2015, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Hungarian Health Service Experience.

Well first do as told by the doctor and sooner or later you Will be back to yourself.My self have praise for the health care here I am under Professor of Oncology at St.Istvav Hospital whom doubles up with the same in Uk the difference is response time in C T scanning and blood testing I on eight week testing ok the cost does not count as to stop the Metastasis again it is hard now owing disability owing to accident some years ago no using sticks to get about so take card look after digger47
Old Aug 8th 2015, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Is the health care free or do you have to pay?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themajor
I could be said that sort of going private is quickly to get to no what is wrong digger47
Old Aug 9th 2015, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
I have my Taj Kartya and all other paperwork sorted from being in full time employment so the system is much like the UK NHS; free at the point of use. All medication whilst in the hospital is provided but further prescriptions outside the hospital have to be paid for. If you are resident and have the National Insurance/Health card there won't be any problems. Despite being told that most young alongside the best doctors are immediately going abroad I saw lots of junior/younger doctors around and about the hospital and staffing levels seemed good.

I don't know about private as I have no experience of private healthcare anywhere but I am dubious as they do have a profit motive........

Had my stitches out on Friday rather quicker than I was expecting......
Old Aug 9th 2015, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

As I am in effect early retired I have to make monthly payments of 6930 Ft to be in the Hungarian state health system. This is less than you would pay in most EU countries and is one of the reasons I chose Hungary.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
As I am in effect early retired I have to make monthly payments of 6930 Ft to be in the Hungarian state health system. This is less than you would pay in most EU countries and is one of the reasons I chose Hungary.
Bit of a bargain really!

(I am not sure whether to put this in or not but there is still the presumption certainly with older staff that extra payment is expected if things go well in more complicated procedures. Brown envelope bonus. I have heard this but no idea how prevalent it is or if it is something that is quietly disappearing with time).
Old Aug 9th 2015, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all replies. Hope that the recovery is going well.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Bit of a bargain really!

(I am not sure whether to put this in or not but there is still the presumption certainly with older staff that extra payment is expected if things go well in more complicated procedures. Brown envelope bonus. I have heard this but no idea how prevalent it is or if it is something that is quietly disappearing with time).
Yes this is mostly Wednesday to bust the consult earnings the amount per month is very low and to avoid them moving over seas where the amount is three times higher a month a blind eye to this Yes I guilty to this practice but the wife is Hungarian and as no trust in NHS after reading the report she was not happy basically Metastasis is back again and what NHS was stating she could not accept so she arranged every think and at the end what the NHS stated the consultant here agreed with the NHS findings so now until blood test every 8 weeks and results numbers go higher nothing can be done as no one knows wear it is exactly but the wife again finding a medication called Culrevit which is supposed to decrease the infection but at a cost of 30.000fh. For 30 days I hope it has some justice in the cost www.culevit.hu digger47
Old Aug 26th 2015, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Well got the results from the biopsy and the diagnosis was correct and that there are no cancerous/tumourous/nasty cells hiding in there. Just need to see the Gastroenterologist now.

They took out quite a bit of the large intestine. No wonder I have been tired and bad tempered recently......