Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Moving to Hungary?

Moving to Hungary?

Old Oct 21st 2010, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Hungary?

Hi! My husband and I (both retired and living in USA) are seriously thinking of moving to Hungary.
He's American, I'm English.
The reason we're thinking of Hungary is because we want to move back to Europe..... England is too crowded and expensive,and holds no charm for us... and Hungary seems a good option because property prices seem reasonable.
I lived there briefly when I was 15 (a hundred years ago, the 1960's!) and visited again in 1980, and went on a 'dental tourism' visit in 2006.
Another advantage is.... I speak Hungarian . My mother was Hungarian, and never spoke English at home, in England.
Trouble is.... we don't know where to start looking!
Budapest is too expensive, Balaton is lovely (I was at Budapest and Siofok in the 60's, and Heviz for my dentistry),so my travels have been fairly limited.

Also, I'm a UK citizen so I presume I'd have no immigration issues.... but how about my US citizen husband.... is there a criteria for living in Hungary??

The people on this forum seem very knowledgeable and friendly, we'd love to hear some advice and experiences.

Last edited by mamasue; Oct 21st 2010 at 4:33 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hungary?

Hi Mamasue and welcome to the Hungarian section.

Being a UK citizen, you would have no problems with immigration and speaking the langauge will definitely help.

With regards to your husband, this site has some useful information - including a link to an online form which can be completed by US citizens. As far as I am aware, the main criteria will be that he can show sufficient funds to support himself and valid health insurance.

The area around Heviz, Keszthely and to the North and West of the lake are particularly scenic and worth considering.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and should you have any further questions, just ask
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hungary?

Thanks for your reply, RH!!
I read somewhere that retired people in Hungary get free healthcare..... I'm almost 60,, husband's a bit older.
Any idea about who qualifies??
Also.... if we have to pay, is healthcare expensive?? here in the US it's ridiculously expensive.... consequently I haven't got any!!
Can't really find too much online....
Would love to know more!