ticmic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lots of questions about moving to Hungary

Who did you serve with in the Army?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

steve270468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
REME so moved around a bit. You ex as well?
Steve
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Sure am REME as well, who did you serve with?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Mostly attached to 19 field in dortmund and wksp in BATUS. Only in for 4 years unfortunatly.Got to go to work now talk later and thanks all.
Steve
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

andreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really nice

Originally Posted by court
I'd be careful, Steve. Opening a business in Hungary is something of a mess, especially if you don't speak Hungarian. It's a difficult and time-consuming process, one of which involves a lot of strange legalities and loopholes that'll make your head go wonky. It's not nearly as simple as "I want to do it". You'll also want to evaluate what you want to do and if it is viable in the market.

We're pretty full up on expat bars (where the prices are quite a bit higher than the standard Hungarian bar -- with Legends, which is absolutely horrible in my opinion, near the hotels, and then Becketts, Guinness House, and the Caledonia all in the same radius [city centre on Pest side], which is where all the tourists will predominantly be) and the specialty shoppes do well, but there isn't such a demand for them. It's really been sad watching quite a few businesses fail. I'm rooting for my Irish businessman of a friend to succeed with his new Irish bar!

If you have any questions about the process to open a business - even just generally on how to do it and what it involves - just let me know and I'll give you all the info. Maybe that could help!

Best,
Court

I am Hungarian and I totally agree! Being self-employed there is full of beurocratic bollocks. However there used to something called "adoszamos maganszemely" meaning a private person (not self-employed) with a tax number able to give receipt for services they are paid for to carry out. For some professions it is possible to have this. For example if you want to teach English. It means you pay all the usual taxes employed people pay. The procedure is simple, for me it only involved going to APEH, the tax office and getting a tax number. Then I took all the receipts to a bookkeeper who filed my income tax. Cheap and easy. It´s like being in between self-employed and employed status. But not available for all activities.

Hope it helps.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Hi
thanks for the reply not sure if this will apply to what I want to do, trading basicly. But any advice is welcome.
We will be over in april to do some house hunting and hopefully meet up with one or two people while we are there.
Thanks
Steve
p.s. excellent english
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

andreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve270468
Hi
thanks for the reply not sure if this will apply to what I want to do, trading basicly. But any advice is welcome.
We will be over in april to do some house hunting and hopefully meet up with one or two people while we are there.
Thanks
Steve
p.s. excellent english
http://www.budapestsun.com/

http://www.expatshungary.com/

I know of these two sites particularly which are about living in Hungary as an expat. But you may know it already, anyway.

Ps. Thanks!

As a Hungarian disliking many things there, let me say just one thing: if you try to buy a property, make good riends with a Hungarian who speaks English and ask them to translate for you when you buy just about anything of value. Otherwise the prices will skyrocket the moment you as much as a hello! Even estate agents often raise their prices for the foreigners. Property laws are solid and simple, nothing to worry about. Any decent lawyer can deal with it. But always always insist on using your own lawyer and not that of the agency or seller. I know one who speaks English, helped me an my English partner, if need it, I can give you his address. He´s not overpriced either.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:40 am
Just Joined

If anyone is interested I now have the frequencies to receive ITV through my SKY box

The normal signal for BBC and ITV is not strong enough to be received in Hungary without a HUGE dish.

ITV have now switched some of their regions to the Eurobird sat and these are being picked up by me on a 1.2m dish in Lajosmizse

Let me know if you want the info
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys
Language shouldn't be to much of a problem as my wife is Hungarian although she hasn't lived there for thirteen years we do visit her family in cserkeszolo three or four times a year.
I will be keeping my mouth shut while looking at houses as my language skills leave something to be desired and I've been told my pronounciation and accent are really bad.
Steve
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve270468
Hi Guys
Language shouldn't be to much of a problem as my wife is Hungarian although she hasn't lived there for thirteen years we do visit her family in cserkeszolo three or four times a year.
I will be keeping my mouth shut while looking at houses as my language skills leave something to be desired and I've been told my pronounciation and accent are really bad.
Steve
Congratulations on learning Hungarian! I'm sure your skills will develop a lot once you're there. When we stayed in Budapest for a week, my boyfriend's Hungarian came on enormously. He could have a proper good conversation with my father. All this despite never ever having even looked at a grammar book or dictionary. Sheer enthusiasm drove him...