Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Looking to Move...

Looking to Move...

Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to Move...

Thanks Peter, so going into year 5 now and 6 of them using the toilet, I should expect to see it on the move anytime now! Hopefully out of line of sight
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies very happy to hear of plenty of recycling facilities and will bear in mind when house hunting to find out about mains sewer
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Flies don't like blue, which is why many old dairies were lime-washed with blue to keep out the flies.
The colour blue or the copper sulphate?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:11 am
Just Joined

windyridge1 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all interesting reading....thank you. If its an option I think I would like to try reed beds...

Rural Hungary - anything else eco friendly that you do that? Is it expensive over there for this to set up?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

More or less thats what happens. The old fashioned way of building them was to support the sides with wood and when the contents was within about 30 cm from the top you moved the wooden shed from the top and recycled it to the new position. The existing hole was filled (top 30cm) with earth dug from the new loo and a fruit tree of your choice planted on the place of the old loo. The wooden underground side supports rotted away and allowed the roots to grow as needed. It generally takes years to fill as there is no water used and the solids compost down over time reducing in volume. To use properly there should be a bucket of ash inside so that the days fresh deposit can be sprinkled with ash to keep both smells and flies at bay. In addition to that if the inside of the shed is lime-washed annually and some copper sulphate (get some from your local vineyard owner) is added to give a pale blue colour this will also help deter flies. Flies don't like blue, which is why many old dairies were lime-washed with blue to keep out the flies.
My place still has the old earth closet type loo in addition to the normal indoor one. Mine is brick built and there is a concrete lined pit behind it which looks like it once had a wooden lid. I suppose this had to be emptied periodically.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
My place still has the old earth closet type loo in addition to the normal indoor one. Mine is brick built and there is a concrete lined pit behind it which looks like it once had a wooden lid. I suppose this had to be emptied periodically.
Oh yes - the proverbial brick s*** house, yes this will need emptying periodically, too much work to move. Best to empty after the winter and before the spring use makes it too fresh
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windyridge1
This is all interesting reading....thank you. If its an option I think I would like to try reed beds...
Reed beds can have a problem in Hungary, they need to be large enough to work in the cold of the winter when bacterial activity slows down and the lack of rain can mean that the winter size is unsupportable by the inflow water during the summer so the reeds die out. If there is a high enough water table and natural reeds then they can be OK but if they are artificial then problems can arise. Another point is that the authorities don't like them so permission can be a problem.

PS If the property has access to mains drains then you will have no choice but to connect.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Apr 13th 2013 at 12:59 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Reed beds can have a problem in Hungary, they need to be large enough to work in the cold of the winter when bacterial activity slows down and the lack of rain can mean that the winter size is unsupportable by the inflow water during the summer so the reeds die out. If there is a high enough water table and natural reeds then they can be OK but if they are artificial then problems can arise. Another point is that the authorities don't like them so permission can be a problem.

PS If the property has access to mains drains then you will have no choice but to connect.
Oh..ah well thank you... something to consider if we plan it. Thank you :-)
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:22 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Rural Hungary - anything else eco friendly that you do that? Is it expensive over there for this to set up?
We did our own and never had problems. Twin chamber septic which is obviously functioning well as breaking down solids to the extent that it has been emptied once in four years and we are a family of 5. Our mayor is fine with it and we are thinking of expanding it this year. We collected reeds from the village Tor (lake) and had no problems with them.

We rendered our adobe house in mud and straw, smoothing it down with large stones - neighbours thought we were mad! We also try to garden organically and to date, we haven't used and chemicals on the land.
Old May 13th 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Following on from my original thread we are 99% sure we will be visiting Hungary by 22nd June Can't wait! Sadly only for 5 days before we have to head back ....

RH - if there is a chance to meet up, view and chat etc would really appreciate it. We still want to focus on the western border area although probably could be tempted further east in areas you know well and cover.

We haven't booked accomm as we don't know where we will be at any given time. Can I assume we shouldn't have too much of a problem just "turning up" and booking in?

We have, away from the forum received some quite negative feedback about Hungary from someone who travels there regarding ruthless/over zealous policing (parking tickets etc), being pestered by locals when they see foreign number plates etc but thats one person's opinion .....

Getting excited now...
Old May 14th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Windyridge

Have lived here two months now and visited many times before that travelling all round Hungary. Have never been pestered by locals and the police have only been interested in vehicle when OH drove old pick up truck with a homemade cover on the back! But then he experienced same in Germany.
This time of year there are many foreign vehicles in Hungary of all nationalities. Only thing I would say is that we get overtaken a lot
Good luck with your trip and hope you find what you are looking for.
Old May 14th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

We have, away from the forum received some quite negative feedback about Hungary from someone who travels there regarding ruthless/over zealous policing (parking tickets etc), being pestered by locals when they see foreign number plates etc but thats one person's opinion .....

Getting excited now...
In my opinion the police can be a bit over zealous at times, but not necessarily just to foreign drivers, but to anyone. Obviously if you speed or commit a driving offence then you can expect to be fined. No one has ever pestered us for having foreign number plates...although it does confuse some locals and is always fun to see people try and get in the drivers side. The majority of other road users flash to warn of police up ahead, and if you see someone indicating a clock shape by twirling their hand around...that means there is a speed camera ahead. Speed cameras are often set up in unmarked cars along the side of the road...so if someone warns you that there is one ahead...then don't be complacent.
Old May 14th 2013, 11:45 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Just a quick reply as in Budapest at the moment. Police in some areas do pull foreigners more than is usual in other areas, moreso out of season than in. Though generally, it isn't a problem.
Pestering can occur if you buy in certain villages, usually saying no and meaning it is sufficient though not always. Will PM soon - up to my eyes in marking mocks!
Old May 14th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting excited now...
would it change your mind if that was the case? Ive not experienced either

experience so far is drink sing fall asleep not fight the world as in UK town centers.

inquisitive, great sense of community like something from the 70's
and "bo lond" is not refering to my hair colour its refering to my hubby crazy mad fool
Old May 14th 2013, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

It hasn't changed our minds,

Its just someone's own opinion which has been countered with more positives ....at the end of the day its our own opinion that we form that will make our decisions ....

We live in an area where the fallouts from pubs with brawls, arguments etc are a very regular occurance and we live a few doors from a rural police station (albeit unmanned!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.