Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English Shepherd Hut

English Shepherd Hut

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default English Shepherd Hut

What is the Hungarian equivalent for this?
https://www.englishshepherdshut.co.uk/gallery?pgid=k35rkde6-83f7c8f3-936c-4be5-8a77-18837e624380
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Shepherd Hut

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What is the Hungarian equivalent for this?
https://www.englishshepherdshut.co.u...7-18837e624380
No real equivalent I'm told - because as such they are not used. However my daughter says ' karaván ' would fit the bill
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
No real equivalent I'm told - because as such they are not used. However my daughter says ' karaván ' would fit the bill
Reason to ask is we may stay with mother-in-law rather than buy a property but I'm desperate for some "my" space. The plot here is 2,000 sq.m. long term we'd be fools to let it go because plots around here are quite expensive. A local friend has pointed me towards mobile home websites but I don't want something too big, just big enough to use as summer house, study, office, etc. These shepherd huts are incredibly expensive, even the DIY kits!
Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Reason to ask is we may stay with mother-in-law rather than buy a property but I'm desperate for some "my" space. The plot here is 2,000 sq.m. long term we'd be fools to let it go because plots around here are quite expensive. A local friend has pointed me towards mobile home websites but I don't want something too big, just big enough to use as summer house, study, office, etc. These shepherd huts are incredibly expensive, even the DIY kits!
Build one - Put down a concrete slab (with insulation underneath), timber frame (5cm x 10cm) with either OSB or shiplap externally, OSB internally, insulation between the framing, 15cm insulation in the roof with metal profile outside and OSB inside, windows and doors plastic either new or second hand. If you want the interior a bit posh then lumberia replaces the (painted) OSB. I would recommend OSB on one side at least to help with the stability of the structure.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Build one - Put down a concrete slab (with insulation underneath), timber frame (5cm x 10cm) with either OSB or shiplap externally, OSB internally, insulation between the framing, 15cm insulation in the roof with metal profile outside and OSB inside, windows and doors plastic either new or second hand. If you want the interior a bit posh then lumberia replaces the (painted) OSB. I would recommend OSB on one side at least to help with the stability of the structure.
I bumped into a local carpenter friend earlier this morning and I'd told him of my plans yesterday to buy a ready made cabin or shepherd's hut. One thing we talked about was the difficulty to get it to the spot where it will be sited due to the narrow road with ditches on both sides meaning so building one from scratch is the better option. My carpenter friend has offered to help build one which is great news. So the first thing which needs doing is to chop down the two walnut trees and move a fence. As well as decide how big it will be.
Will I need to apply for planning permission? Might include a toilet and wash basin.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.obi.hu/kert-szabadido/kerti-hazak/c/1921

Old Feb 4th 2021, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

They look nice.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

They look nice.
Lots to choose from

Might be worth a trip to OBI Miskolc to have a look.

Old Feb 4th 2021, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Lots to choose from

Might be worth a trip to OBI Miskolc to have a look.
I think I'll be getting my carpenter deaf friend to build something. We have the money to splash out but my friend has convinced me he can build one for much less money! We will check with the mayor if we can build something like this. It won't be a permanent "house" to live in, mainly to use during the summer months and for the occasional guests.

The key to what we will build is down to the location we can site it. It would be nice to have something like this as the permanent gazebo is now my car port! There's certain things we can't build on the "agri" part of the garden so it might mean no toilet, wash basin and kitchen but we could always erect a tent during the summer months to include these facilities!

Last edited by FenTiger; Feb 4th 2021 at 3:36 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger
If the OBI examples are not double waled with insulation IMO they will be too hot in the summer and too cold in spring and autumn.

If you are going to build it DIY or even do a substantial amount yourself then, if you haven't got one already, it would justify a battery impact impact driver. I bought one a couple of years back and I don't know how I managed before I got it.

If you build it with OSB on the outside would recommend using the thin film acrylic render (the sort used on external wall insulation) as the covering paint. It comes in a vast range of colours, hides the 'grain' of the OSB and sticks like the proverbial. I've used it with very good lasting results.

As an alternative the the insulated slab floor - a concrete slab with 5cm x 10cm timbers on edge with EPS between and 18mm OSB over.

Why can't you put a loo in the 'agri' part of the garden?
Old Feb 4th 2021, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger
If the OBI examples are not double waled with insulation IMO they will be too hot in the summer and too cold in spring and autumn.

If you are going to build it DIY or even do a substantial amount yourself then, if you haven't got one already, it would justify a battery impact impact driver. I bought one a couple of years back and I don't know how I managed before I got it.

If you build it with OSB on the outside would recommend using the thin film acrylic render (the sort used on external wall insulation) as the covering paint. It comes in a vast range of colours, hides the 'grain' of the OSB and sticks like the proverbial. I've used it with very good lasting results.

As an alternative the the insulated slab floor - a concrete slab with 5cm x 10cm timbers on edge with EPS between and 18mm OSB over.

Why can't you put a loo in the 'agri' part of the garden?
It was my thinking too about the OBI sheds being too hot or cold!
Think my carpenter friend has a battery impact driver.
I'll have to read up about OSB, EPS and acrylic render because I don't have a clue! I'm sure my carpenter friend will have a plan. He's mentioned insulation and I think it will be a few inches off the ground so it can breathe or something along those lines.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm a bit unsure whether installing a cabin with access to a toilet and water will be allowed on the "agri" part of the plot. We're only allowed permanent accomodation buildings 30m from front of property boundary. Outbuildings are allowed and temporary structures. The cabin or whatever won't be used to sleep in except on the odd occasion. I just hope no neighbours feedback to the mayor any possible breaches. It's likely I'd sleep in there for a siesta because my dog always interrupts my nap!
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

What about electricity?
Gas and water?
Old Feb 8th 2021, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
What about electricity?
Gas and water?
Will probably only install electricity supply and water, sewage, etc. Might add a little wood burner but it's not compulsory!
Old Feb 10th 2021, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Will probably only install electricity supply and water, sewage, etc. Might add a little wood burner but it's not compulsory!
Electricity, water and sewage is a good idea, put in enough power for an electric kettle and a single induction hot plate to run simultaneously plus a bit for the lights. If the gradient for the sewage is an issue then a pump on a float switch connected to a 25mm (flexible) pipe is a good alternative. The water and sewage don't really need to be more than 40cm down, in 26 years here I've not seen frost below 25cm. (water pipes to the fields.) and in any case the black plastic water pipe used today will take repeated freeze/thaw cycles without damage. For the wood burner I would suggest a prefabricated double wall insulated stainless steel chimney which is bought in sections and goes together like a lego kit as the easiest option and would probably be cheaper that a masonry alternative. The stainless steel chimneys hang from the roof timbers (or out through the wall) so you probably wouldn't need more than 1.5m as opposed to the masonry type that would need to be built off the floor with some sort of foundations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.