Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I would like to see everyones version of 'gy'...and no you cannot cheat and say like the dj in during :-)

I actually cannot pronounce anything beginning with C so just say it quietly or muffled :-)
I live in a village named Újszentgyörgy, so the 'gy' sound is one I use an hear all of the time. We had lessons for 6 months before we moved out and our teacher spent many of our lessons teaching us sounds. As the sounds are in many ways very different to English sounds she got us to make certain shapes with our mouths and tongues to approximate the noise, without question the most valuable lessons we ever had. We didn't grasp it before we moved over but it certainly made life easier.

I use the same mouth shape for 'gy' as I do for 'ny', front of the tongue behind the bottom teeth and the top of the tongue on the roof of the mouth but for 'gy' my tongue forms a broader shape pressed against the roof of my mouth than with 'ny'.

On the 'w'/'v' thing, I had a Finnish friend a number of years ago (Finnish is a language somewhat related to Hungarian) and Finns cannot say 'v' with the 'w' noise coming out. He got round this by using 'f' rather than 'v' and he was chuffed to bits to sound a little more natural, not come across a way to help Hungarians with the 'w'.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

'gy' I find difficult ..... but the above is helpful ..... must keep practising ...
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Gy, I have one friend who's name is Gyorgy, so I just tell him the jury is still out on pronunciation, but he know I mean him so it works.

As for 'W' my surname is Woodward, and a real struggle to a lot of hungarians to say correctly, but again I know they mean me, so it is not a problem.

If you want to turn the tables just ask a hungarian to say squirrel or mirror or even balloon can get some funny answers, well it is a bit of light relief before the spotlight falls back on to your own woeful efforts :-)
Voodvard sounds like a name out of Harry Potter!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
'gy' I find difficult ..... but the above is helpful ..... must keep practising ...
I perfected the "gy" years ago whilst shouting GYERE! MOST! at my crazy daschund as it chased the neighbours down the road
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

As an arrogant englishman who had very little intention of bothering to learn Hungarian I have now been given the perfect learning tool, A 15 month old God-daughter.

After saying Ragja Meg (chew it) for the 1000's time it is definitely imbedded.

It works both ways of course and her 'All gone' is amazingly good

but I really hope she will NOT learn the expression I use when she is dragging everything out of the cupboards for the 1000th time!
Attached Thumbnails Language thread - words,expressions and translations.-fgy_1001043.jpg  
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

As an arrogant englishman who had very little intention of bothering to learn Hungarian I have now been given the perfect learning tool, A 15 month old God-daughter.

After saying Ragja Meg (chew it) for the 1000's time it is definitely imbedded.

It works both ways of course and her 'All gone' is amazingly good

but I really hope she will NOT learn the expression I use when she is dragging everything out of the cupboards for the 1000th time!
Congrats

I always have difficulty with the meaning of 'meg' as it is used in many expressions, the main one being quite a rude one beginning with B I know it loosely means that one has completed something when used in expressions. Anyone else any good ideas?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

The expression Pol refers to is actually the very first hungarian word I learned
Because it came from the kitchen on many occasions! I honestly thought it mean 'where is' and kept asking what she couldn't find, until I was told the actual meaning.

Had I not learned the true meaning it could have had disasterous results with me asking things like, Where is the station etc etc.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

The expression Pol refers to is actually the very first hungarian word I learned
Because it came from the kitchen on many occasions! I honestly thought it mean 'where is' and kept asking what she couldn't find, until I was told the actual meaning.

Had I not learned the true meaning it could have had disasterous results with me asking things like, Where is the station etc etc.
Nice one. Actually the BM word seems to be peppered into most locals sentences, so you may have gained yourself some street cred if you had asked where is the station in a rap like style.
I actually learned some words from a very funny book called 'Dirty Hungarian: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to ....'
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one. Actually the BM word seems to be peppered into most locals sentences, so you may have gained yourself some street cred if you had asked where is the station in a rap like style.
I actually learned some words from a very funny book called 'Dirty Hungarian: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to ....'
What's the news is with out doubt the filthiest saying I have ever heard Neanderthal man asking for carnal relations :O Never fails to make me smile!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by llareggub
What's the news is with out doubt the filthiest saying I have ever heard Neanderthal man asking for carnal relations :O Never fails to make me smile!
But at least it helps to remember how to say it. I love all the 'ság' endings.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

I got the book too ..... I'm most definitely going to take this with me in August and hope I earn as much street cred as Duztee!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

So off to Amazon I went, to see exactly what you were all talking about. Totally shocked that my daughter knew what most of them meant and apparently the "life is not a whipped cream cake" is a common phrase amongst her friends Not sure if I should worry about their language or the state of their lives
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Opps! think we might be in trouble now, but wether it is with Rural for introducing her to such literature, or with her daughter for allowing her mother to understand her conversations I don't know.....safe bet..probably both!

So to get back on to safer ground..
I couldn't understand why csuccs (sounds like chooch) was sit.
Apparently the sit I knew, ule is actually a short version of lecsucsul, or csucsulj le, sit down.
I am tempted to quote the above book on hungarians having an excessive number of verbs, nouns, whatever!
(Sorry you will have to fill in your own dots above the 'u's)
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Opps! think we might be in trouble now, but wether it is with Rural for introducing her to such literature, or with her daughter for allowing her mother to understand her conversations I don't know.....safe bet..probably both!
It didn't phase daughter in the least, I would probably have gotten a "whatever" were there a Hungarian equivalent (is there?).
Must admit that I have, at times, been shocked by the frequent usage of certain words when speaking with Hungarian friends - it reminds me of Ireland
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you were away or unwell when this thread started Rural.
Pol gave 'Nekem nyloc' as the slang of 'it's all the same' or 'whatever' on page one.

Something to do with the figure 8 being made of two equal circles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.