Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Installing a freestanding stove

Installing a freestanding stove

Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Installing a freestanding stove

You can still use them, the regulations only apply to new installations.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I've never seen an open fire in Hungary but a lot of my favourite pubs in England and Wales have them. I wonder if you can still have them as long as you don't light them? A few people might be sitting in the cold until Brexit happens!
Nothing to do with Brexit - I can remember the smog in London and the difference that going 'smokeless' made - long before the EU. The current noises being made by the Mayor of London about wood burning stoves has nothing to do with the EU. Diesel burning cars will still face extra charges after Brexit - And a host of other regulations new and old that have nothing to do with the EU will remain and quite a few that are the responsibility of the EU will also remain.

One thing that will change is that the UK government will no longer be able to blame Brussels for unpopular actions when they are actually the responsibility of the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

The danger being of course that as open fires along with wood burners are gaining in popularity, if people want an open fire, they will no longer be able to engage a builder to do the work and will get uncle Bob to do it instead which could cause big problems !
There was quite a backlash when the power restrictions to vacuum cleaners was introduced with people snapping up the last stocks of the more powerful models as it takes twice as long and more electricity to get the same job done as the older more powerful ones ! The new water saving toilets are another example - they often need flushing two or three times to do the job so using more water than the older ones did !!
As for light bulbs…. people are seeking out the older style incandescent bulbs or switching to led's now….. so maybe newer, regulated items are not always better !!
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I've never seen an open fire in Hungary but a lot of my favourite pubs in England and Wales have them. I wonder if you can still have them as long as you don't light them? A few people might be sitting in the cold until Brexit happens!
Totally OT:
That reminds me of a holiday in Britain many years ago (must have been the 1980s). We went to visit Stonehenge in early spring and stayed in a B&B. For dinner (and a few beers ...) we went to a pub and they had an open fire going - with "briquettes" (made from brown coal as we say in Germany)!
That, especially the smell, reminded me of my childhood - my grandmother still used them and I of course helped her, bringing them up from the cellar ...
Old Jan 7th 2018, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins

There was quite a backlash when the power restrictions to vacuum cleaners was introduced with people snapping up the last stocks of the more powerful models as it takes twice as long and more electricity to get the same job done as the older more powerful ones !
Not true, there is no need to use so much power if the design is right. The old Hoover Senior of the 1960s could out-perform most modern machines and has a 650 watt motor. The downside is that if Hoover put that machine back on the market now they would probably have to price it at about £500.