British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Importing a car from US-company that does this? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/importing-car-us-company-does-882316/)

diablogun Aug 25th 2016 12:37 pm

Importing a car from US-company that does this?

Hi Folks,

I am an American that looked for and got great advice in the past before we moved here 3 weeks ago, and things are going very smoothly (I love the Hungarian people!).

Anyway, we are buying a nice house about 25 kilometers from Budapest on the Buda side, and we would like to import our American car as it is paid off and well, I really love it (2013 Ford Expedition).

Does anyone know any companies that would help with the importation of American vehicles? I know there are some things that need to be done to make it compliant with EU regs, and I just really want to find someone who can take over the importation and do the whole thing for a reasonable price--if such a company or person exists :-)

Thanks in advance for any reference/advice you could offer.

fidobsa Aug 25th 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Importing a car from US-company that does this?

You could try this company:

https://www.interrelo.com/en/home/

duztee Aug 25th 2016 6:55 pm

Before you even consider importing this beast I would be tempted to check just how much a 5 litre V8 is going to cost to register!

You may well find the total cost of importing and registering will be far (far) more than the loss you might take selling it in the USA.

diablogun Aug 25th 2016 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 12035081)
Before you even consider importing this beast I would be tempted to check just how much a 5 litre V8 is going to cost to register!

You may well find the total cost of importing and registering will be far (far) more than the loss you might take selling it in the USA.

It is good advice, but you can't seem to buy it here, and the cost seems to be less than if one sold and tried to buy a Volvo XC-90, as an example.

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 25th 2016 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by diablogun (Post 12035166)
It is good advice, but you can't seem to buy it here, and the cost seems to be less than if one sold and tried to buy a Volvo XC-90, as an example.

If you can't buy it here (what about the rest of Europe?) think about the costs/implications of spares and repairs.

diablogun Aug 25th 2016 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12035211)
If you can't buy it here (what about the rest of Europe?) think about the costs/implications of spares and repairs.

Definitely worth considering...

duztee Aug 26th 2016 6:25 am

Also, if this vehicle is not available here, it will almost certainly not be in the government system, which means you can probably add 3 weeks to a month to the registration process.
And unfortunately reading your original post I am not sure they will, because they will only add it to the system if the vehicle has full EU conformity documentation which you will need to supply, and they will probably want said documents translated, which can be another hefty cost added to an already growing bill.

Tho' on a plus side they are available in Europe so you might be lucky.
mobile.de – Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen – Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt have 14 for sale and wwwautoscout24.com advertise 22

diablogun Aug 26th 2016 6:31 am

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 12035458)
Also, if this vehicle is not available here, it will almost certainly not be in the government system, which means you can probably add 3 weeks to a month to the registration process.
And unfortunately reading your original post I am not sure they will, because they will only add it to the system if the vehicle has full EU conformity documentation which you will need to supply, and they will probably want said documents translated, which can be another hefty cost added to an already growing bill.

Tho' on a plus side they are available in Europe so you might be lucky.
mobile.de – Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen – Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt have 14 for sale and wwwautoscout24.com advertise 22

I found a guy who says it won't be a problem to import and register it, but it will be expensive! Unfortunately (or fortunately) any other large SUV here is also quite expensive :-)

duztee Aug 26th 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by diablogun (Post 12035460)
I found a guy who says it won't be a problem to import and register it, but it will be expensive! Unfortunately (or fortunately) any other large SUV here is also quite expensive :-)

As you have been informed, it is possible to import almost anything . . . . for a price!
Which was my point, is it worth the hassle and cost to import? because the cost will probably be more than you would loose selling it. and I guess moving here is a pretty big change in life style, so9 perhaps time to think about a change in your motoring habits.

I really wish you luck if you do go ahead with the import, and hope my pessimistic attitude of Hungarian bureaucracy will not befall your endeavour.

diablogun Aug 26th 2016 11:50 am

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 12035598)
As you have been informed, it is possible to import almost anything . . . . for a price!
Which was my point, is it worth the hassle and cost to import? because the cost will probably be more than you would loose selling it. and I guess moving here is a pretty big change in life style, so9 perhaps time to think about a change in your motoring habits.

I really wish you luck if you do go ahead with the import, and hope my pessimistic attitude of Hungarian bureaucracy will not befall your endeavour.

I would call your point of view realistic, not pessimistic :-)

wolfi Aug 26th 2016 1:21 pm

And don't forget gas prices here - or does the car have a Diesel engine?

Most SUVs running here are Korean Diesel models.

diablogun Aug 26th 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by wolfi (Post 12035652)
And don't forget gas prices here - or does the car have a Diesel engine?

Most SUVs running here are Korean Diesel models.

No it is a petrol gas guzzler. I would use it mostly for trips throughout Europe. I have bought a 2015 Renault Fluence for commuting around/dropping the kids off.

FenTiger Aug 26th 2016 5:18 pm

I think the main issue has got to be can you get the parts if you need them? Are you prepared to wait a month? Suppose alternative parts are available will they compromise the safety of your car? I've yet to move to Hungary but when I eventually do it's likely I'll bring over my Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira because it'll only need the headlights changing (am I correct?). The bonus for my current car is it only has 22,000 miles on the clock courtesy of my wife deciding it's too big for her to drive despite it only being 30mm longer than our previous car.
You'll need winter tyres too .... an additional expense .... can you get them in Hungary for your car?

diablogun Aug 26th 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12035846)
I think the main issue has got to be can you get the parts if you need them? Are you prepared to wait a month? Suppose alternative parts are available will they compromise the safety of your car? I've yet to move to Hungary but when I eventually do it's likely I'll bring over my Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira because it'll only need the headlights changing (am I correct?). The bonus for my current car is it only has 22,000 miles on the clock courtesy of my wife deciding it's too big for her to drive despite it only being 30mm longer than our previous car.
You'll need winter tyres too .... an additional expense .... can you get them in Hungary for your car?

I think anything can be had by ordering it from the US if need be, but it won't be cheap. I suspect the SUV would sell for a lot more as a couple of years ago I saw one in Sweden for about double the price of the US.

By way of irony I am renting a Zafira currently, but will soon turn it in. They are definitely around here.

wolfi Aug 26th 2016 7:34 pm

Not too much OT:

I've been driving Opel cars foor many years and I was surprised some 15 years ago when I saw how the village garage managed that Astra of mine - they are real experts, probably because Opel is a very populat brand here.

If you really nee a big(ger) car then buy one outside of Hungary, an Opel, Suzuki or Chevrolet is best imho because they are so common - in Hungary used cars are way too expensive!