Reload this Page >

Importing Car to Hungary?

Importing Car to Hungary?

Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

kolbasz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Importing Car to Hungary?

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a new car and the prices seem so much cheaper in Czech republic. What sort of hassle would I face if I rock up in Czech republic, buy a new VW and then drive to Hungary and try to re-register it for H plates?

My wife is Hungarian so can help with the forms, but would appreciate any feedback from people who have done this or something similar already.

Thanks
kolbasz
Old Mar 11th 2015, 3:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Car to Hungary?

Originally Posted by kolbasz
Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a new car and the prices seem so much cheaper in Czech republic. What sort of hassle would I face if I rock up in Czech republic, buy a new VW and then drive to Hungary and try to re-register it for H plates?

My wife is Hungarian so can help with the forms, but would appreciate any feedback from people who have done this or something similar already.

Thanks
kolbasz
Hi, first port of call would be a Czech forum to find out if you can purchase a vehicle without an address there or do you have one?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Importing a used vehicle is generally a simple procedure, especially with your wife to assist.

However I suspect that you will certainly be liable to pay tax on a new vehicle, since your wife speaks the language simply ask her to call the local Test Centre and get the correct info straight from the 'Horse's mouth'
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not an expert on these things, but my understanding is this:

You can buy a new car in any EU country and register it in your own EU country of residence. You don't have to be resident in the country of purchase. In fact, I believe there were court decisions some years ago forcing dealers to sell to non-residents when they refused to do so (I am thinking specifically of Germans buying in Denmark, but it's all EU law).

You buy tax-free in the country of purchase and pay purchase tax in the country in which you register the vehicle. You therefore need to make sure that you are not charged purchase tax when you buy.

Prices inclusive of tax differ (obviously, owing to different tax rates), but net prices also differ, which is why many people do this.

Specifications also differ from country to country, so the same model, trim level, etc. in two different countries may also have differences in specification and the saving may not be what you think.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 8:33 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost
I am not an expert on these things, but my understanding is this:

You can buy a new car in any EU country and register it in your own EU country of residence. You don't have to be resident in the country of purchase.
Thinking more that an address would be needed for the paperwork after purchase unless it was registered on the documents as "being exported" when purchased.
Probably wrong but many moons ago when we were looking at importing a motorhome, I think I remember being told that some countries won't let you drive it if being exported and it has to be transported.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some countries have temporary registration and the associated plates for export journeys. The Czech Republic appears to be one of them: there is picture of one on the Wikipedia page for German export plates at de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausfuhrkennzeichen.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy for export in any European country you will be exempt from VAT,
BUT .... VAT will be payable when you import to Hungary,
AND ... in case your wife didn't tell you, Hungary has one of the highest rate for VAT in Europe at 27%
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:48 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Some countries have temporary registration and the associated plates for export journeys. The Czech Republic appears to be one of them: there is picture of one on the Wikipedia page for German export plates at de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausfuhrkennzeichen.
Thanks Watchpost, I knew I remembered something about not being able to just buy the vehicle and drive off as it's what put us off - perhaps at that time transporting it was an easier/cheaper option
Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

lulu122 is an unknown quantity at this point

If we bring our car over from the UK are we liable to pay these taxes, and how difficult is it to transfer the registration to H plates?