Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungary - World of Potentials

Hungary - World of Potentials

Old Dec 24th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

HoriFTC will become famous soon enoughHoriFTC will become famous soon enough
Default Hungary - World of Potentials

I would like to share with you a new short film about Hungary released yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmz8Ni9zO4M
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungary - World of Potentials

Originally Posted by HoriFTC
I would like to share with you a new short film about Hungary released yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmz8Ni9zO4M
This is very good! My wife who is Hungarian is very proud of her country.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

These sort of videos really make my elbow itch.
They appear to imply that past achievements should be a good indicator of the future. All relies on a good education. But a quick reality check shows that when it comes to the standing of Hungarian universities, the situation is really bad. There are only three Hungarian universities among the top 600 in the world: Budapest University of Technology and Economics (307), ELTE/University of Budapest (316), and the University of Szeged (580). Debrecen, Pécs, and Miskolc are not even in the top 1,000.
Like many things in Hungary, there is a propensity to dwell on a romanticized past rather than putting emphasis on really going forwards.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Think it's the same in the UK. We seem to think we are still a world power but we are not with a depleted navy, army and air force!

Every Football World Cup England expects to win it but always perform dreadfully!
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I liked the video - but some bits did make me laugh - especially the risque biro!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It looked at first like they were claiming to have invented the gramophone record but obviously they were around long before 1948. It must actually refer to the LP record, which was first available in the shops in 1948. 33rpm records had been in use since the 1930s though, for film soundtracks played in cinemas.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It looked at first like they were claiming to have invented the gramophone record but obviously they were around long before 1948.
Ah, but they may well have been as it is a universally accepted fact that Hungarians invented just about everything that has ever been invented

Recently, I wrote a section for our newsletter on Hungarian inventors and inventions and whilst researching, I was bemused by some of the claims; just like us Scots who invented the bagpipes
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Was it India who invente the bagpipes Rural?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:25 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be daft Richard, it was the Scottish who invented them, bad enough the Irish trying to claim them for themselves but now half of the Middle East as well

I think the first mention of them is in the bible (made from dog skin and bone) and they are believed to have originated in Iran or Egypt. Naturally, by a Scot on holiday to the Middle East
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

I believe it was female cat skin and dog bones, thats why they wiiine so much!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It looked at first like they were claiming to have invented the gramophone record but obviously they were around long before 1948. It must actually refer to the LP record, which was first available in the shops in 1948. 33rpm records had been in use since the 1930s though, for film soundtracks played in cinemas.
I also doubt that Leo Szilard invented the refrigerator in 1929, if that is the claim on this video. Work on the refrigerator goes back to the University of Glasgow in the 18th Century and the Americans had a working model in the 1830s.