Hungarian Roma

Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:43 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Roma

Hi and welcome to the forum - good luck with your job search.

No, the Roma never chose the name gypsy for themselves and many still deem it to be disparaging. However, due to it's pervasiveness in the English language - even many Roma use the term.
It is believed to have come from the Greek work for Egypt or Egyptian (can't remember which) as apparently some Roma, having left India, would then introduce themselves as "The Princes of Little Egypt" this is probably the romantic version of events and the truth is actually somewhere closer to the Greeks simply mistaking them as Egyptians.

They actually refer to themselves as Rom (hence Romani) which is derived from the Sanskrit for "man".

It is a common misconception in the West that Roma originate from Romania - understandable though.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Is the word "Roma" in common usage in Hungary? When I was there I mentioned the word a few times to people and got blank expressions so I had to use the word "gypsy", which they understood.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Stomalomalus is an unknown quantity at this point

You see, I thought that they chose the name cigány, which, when translated, means gypsy, not Roma, and that Roma was a relatively new term...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

You may have better luck if you say it in Hungarian - Romák. Though unfortunately, all Hungarians will know who you refer to when you mention the cigany/gypsy.

No, one thing historians seem to agree on is that the name gypsy came from the Greek "Aigyptioi" and was used in a case of mistaken identity. Whether, at that time, they refereed to themselves by anything other than their tribe names, I do not know. Many of the Roma we have contact with still refer to themselves by their tribe name. It is extremely complex and a subject of which I only have a little knowledge, for example, Sinti and Romanichels(sp?) do not call themselves Roma - yet within the Sinti group - some will call other Sinti's, "Sinti Roma" as way of distinguishing between different groups.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

nokin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Finally, a couple of minutes of my own to reply!

Thanks for the information John, will definitely make it over there sometime.
Varvolgy is quite a nice village though Zalazsanto, in my opinion, is nicer - especially if you have a house up towards the church where the views are simply stunning. Rezi is another nice village, again, if you are lucky to buy a house with views, it takes some beating. The problem for many Brits (who end up buying in "the wrong" village) is that solid properties for renovation in the villages mentioned above, are difficult to find below £20-30,000 and renovated below £45-60,000 especially if they have views. A lot of buyers are looking for renovation properties costing between £5-15,000 or renovated between £20-30,000, when an agent offers them a house which is 10 minutes from the lake with a large piece of land for £12,000 - they can't believe how lucky they are.

Looking at the pictures of your village, it looks quite similar to ours, though ours is smaller.

After you said about the church, library etc I had a good look at ours. Now I personally would class my village as quite poor, granted it is "on the up" now having several German new builds and renovated properties but it also has a fair share of "poor" looking houses with some of them looking decidedly scruffy - nothing that a coat of paint wouldn't solve but definitely scruffy and giving the wrong impression of the Hungarians living in them - who are poor but wonderful people. However, since we have been here, the mayors office (newly built), the church and the village hall are immaculately kept. We have two shops, one pub (only open one day a week), a caravan site and a small wildlife park. We have Hungarians, Roma, Germans, Austrians and Brits living in the village. We also have a mix of employment and unemployment, some are farmers and we have policemen, electricians, office and factory workers. Yet, compared to other villages in the area (nearer Zalakaros) ours would be classed as "poorish". So, as previously concluded, I don't think poverty is the defining factor.

I just hope that future buyers read this and take the time to investigate the village in which they buy. Just because it's 10 minutes from the lake or has other British residents, doesn't mean there are not issues.

A few photos from our village: mayors office, caravan park, church, festival and wildlife park

http://balatonbase.com/ker/1.jpg

http://balatonbase.com/ker/2.jpg

http://balatonbase.com/ker/3.jpg

http://balatonbase.com/ker/4.jpg

http://balatonbase.com/ker/5.jpg
Why buy in a village miles from anywhere. A house in need of no renovation and fully furnished two doors away from us in what they call the City of Fonyod 15,000,000 (£45,000) There is still some life in Fonyod in the winter. This place is a buzzing summer town right on the lake with all the shops you need and many lively bars through the winter. Forget pickling cabbage and the like, nip to Lidle or Spar or Match or the CBA supermarket. Don't let the agents take you for such a long ride as they have some.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 28th 2011 at 8:03 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:58 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Well, it obviously doesn't have enough going on to keep you occupied in that you troll forums at 2am looking for threads on which to be antagonistic.
I wonder if it's a Fonyod thing as "coincidentally" we had another user from Fonyod who enjoyed doing likewise. (No offence to other expats in Fonyod )

Fact is - you will not find like for like in Fonyod, Bereny, Fenyves and especially not the North side of the lake. You show me a renovated house in Fonyod with 1 1/2 acres of land, a large barn, 2 guest rooms and 180 degree views of hills and forests - or the lake - for £45,000. Inland from the lake you would get all of the aforementioned for less.
What advise would you give to someone who has £20-30,000 to spend and hopes to buy a property and renovate it over time or perhaps they are looking for something which is already renovated? Should they just forget buying here because they can't afford to buy next to the lake or in the "city" of Fonyod? Personally, if someone has £45,000 to spend, I advise them to look at the North side of the lake or around Balatonszentgyorgy area, if they have less, look inland but beware of certain areas - which is what this thread was initially about!!!
Not everybody wants to live in a "city" where the crime statistics are higher than the county average, where there is "some life" during the winter but inevitably it is a "ghost town" compared to the summer and though you might find it hard to believe, Lake Balaton is not Hungary! There are other lakes, spa resorts and tourist attractions which are just as appealing and without the "drunken teenagers" and associated problems that I hear many residents of Fonyod and Siofok complaining about during the summer.
Naturally, what appeals to one does not necessarily appeal to another. Some prefer the "party atmosphere" of a lakeside "city", others prefer a more sedate lakeside town/village such as Dias whilst others prefer to be in the countryside.
We fall into the latter category and have always lived in the countryside. Whilst our village is rural, we have a small spa resort 10 minutes away and in the opposite direction we have the Kis Balaton nature reserve and lake as well as the large spa resort of Zalakaros each about 10-15 minutes away respectively. On our doorstep is an animal park, forest walks and wildlife such as deer, wild boar, birds of prey and golden jackals are regularly sighted. The only negative aspect of being in a rural area is the lack of nearby activities for the children, thus chess club and fencing are a 20 minute drive away - that said, the majority of expats in Hungary do not have children and thus this isn't a problem.

Now, as with the "Where are you all" thread, let's hope we can keep this thread on topic and remember that it was originally posted with regards to the Hungarian Roma.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; May 30th 2011 at 10:02 am.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

jebe_noyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.
Just spent a while reading through all the comments on this subject.I think its one of the those very emotive subjects , obviously dealing with racism.
I thought i would just share some of my own thoughts with you.
I have never been to Hungary yet, so direct commenting on the "Roma" issue would be unfair.I can only comment in a more generalised way.
I have, during the course of my life, experienced severe discrimination against a proportion of a population due to ethnic or religious differences.Witnessed it,heard it and i guess because i was serving at the time, been party to it, although i don't mean in a direct personal way.Its an awful and very unfair thing.
How those on the receiving end of the discrimination behave is always amplified by the discriminators in an effort to justify its continuance, its always been so.
All over the world, countries can be broken down into areas of desirable residence , and areas of no go if possible. Then there are the grey zones.
What makes areas be so, is manifold.Discrimination obviously is a factor, affluence, prospects and sometimes what i think of as peer pressure.In Britain,if you come from a notorious housing estate, you have an name to live up to, as it were.(Not all i know, but many do, it influences younger teens !).
There is obviously good and bad in all peoples.Not just in groups, but also in individuals.So to tar with a singular brush is never accurate. Too many variables.
Is it possible to change attitudes ? I think so. The world is a very active place at the moment.Some old traditions are being swept aside all over.Its both scary and yet invigorating.The present economic hardship in Europe, however, will not help any cause of social integration because, in my opinion, economic hardship is always used as an excuse to blame others, often culturally different minorities.
It is good that this "issue" has been raised. Its something a few weeks ago i knew nothing about, and yet, only know now because it may impact on my future plans . And that's a bad thing.

Regards moi ici
Old Jul 17th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I have not been here long, but feel it appropriate to make comment on this thread from my own recent experience. We have a very good neighbour who has a partner who is a gypsy. I use the term 'gypsy' as this is how she and her family refer to themselves. She has been very supportive to us and helped source workmen to help us in the many jobs that need to be done on our property (thanks to some unscrupulous other people who have not done a good job). Her son has also worked on our house at a very good price and so far done an excellent job. They have been kind and courteous and have also warned us of other 'gypsy' people and places that are not so pleasant and at worst dangerous. As has already been mentioned in this thread, you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, but that does not mean that we would not be careful going forward. We do not live in a small village dominated by roma so I cannot make comment on that, but we tend to treat people as we find them. Rampant discrimination of any race is never a good thing, as history has many times proven.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

suenmike is an unknown quantity at this point

How much a problem is the crime in Hungary, I mean how much protection do you have to do to a house - steel shutters or burglar alarms (big dog)?
Is it petty crime or more organised? Don't get the wrong idea, it can be as bad as UK at the moment
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:03 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Suenmike, statistically, Hungary has one of the lower crime figures when compared to other EU countries, particularly the UK.
It really depends on where you buy as some areas experience more crime than others - albeit mainly petty.
There are a few expats who have been broken into, three opportunist local burglaries and one (in a more affluent village) apparently believed to have been an organised gang operating in the area.

The rest of the crime is mainly petty - garden tools or wine from the cellar being pinched. Rarely do you hear of violent crime involving foreigners and I have never felt unsafe in Hungary.

What surprises me about Hungary, considering the apparent lack of crime, is that nearly every house has window bars or lockable shutters and a dog. I never really noticed it until a chap, who was considering buying here, asked me why, if there was so little crime, did all of the houses have bars or shutters. Though I believe this is also common in Italy and Spain. During our discussion about it, he implied that this was the reason for the low crime figures but I disagreed as surely that would then lead to an increase in shop lifting, car theft, pick pocketing etc. As the window bars on many houses seem to have been installed 20-30 years ago - or even longer, I assume it must relate to the situation at that time - it would be interesting to find out.

So basically, crime isn't really a huge concern here and Hungary is a safe country to live, so long as you do not buy in a "bad village" (for want of a better expression). For peace of mind, a burglar alarm is advisable and if fitted, there is no need for bars or shutters - most thieves here are opportunists and an alarm is enough of a deterrent.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

suenmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Suenmike, statistically, Hungary has one of the lower crime figures when compared to other EU countries, particularly the UK.
It really depends on where you buy as some areas experience more crime than others - albeit mainly petty.
There are a few expats who have been broken into, three opportunist local burglaries and one (in a more affluent village) apparently believed to have been an organised gang operating in the area.

The rest of the crime is mainly petty - garden tools or wine from the cellar being pinched. Rarely do you hear of violent crime involving foreigners and I have never felt unsafe in Hungary.

What surprises me about Hungary, considering the apparent lack of crime, is that nearly every house has window bars or lockable shutters and a dog. I never really noticed it until a chap, who was considering buying here, asked me why, if there was so little crime, did all of the houses have bars or shutters. Though I believe this is also common in Italy and Spain. During our discussion about it, he implied that this was the reason for the low crime figures but I disagreed as surely that would then lead to an increase in shop lifting, car theft, pick pocketing etc. As the window bars on many houses seem to have been installed 20-30 years ago - or even longer, I assume it must relate to the situation at that time - it would be interesting to find out.

So basically, crime isn't really a huge concern here and Hungary is a safe country to live, so long as you do not buy in a "bad village" (for want of a better expression). For peace of mind, a burglar alarm is advisable and if fitted, there is no need for bars or shutters - most thieves here are opportunists and an alarm is enough of a deterrent.

Hope this helps
Thanks for that answer - that has put our mine at rest
I have loads more questions, so better start a new thread
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Thought this might interest some of you. Remember, compared to the UK, crime is low in Hungary. For example - burglaries in Hungary are currently around 700/100,000 of the population whereas in the UK, the figure is over 1300/100,000.

"Crime in Hungary increased last year, according to figures that the prosecutor general's office made available on its website Tuesday, and the worse statistics came from Somogy County.

Hungary's three-strike meant to reduce the number of crimes committed by recidivists did not exercise a remarkable effect on the statistics, figures show.

Of the 122,529 criminals registered last year, nearly a third already had a criminal record, and 11% were recidivists.

The number of reported crimes rose 13.5% last year; from 394,034 to 447,186. A total of 133 murders were committed. Crimes against property were up 8%, burglaries and thefts by 17.4%. The financial damage caused by crimes against property increased compared to the previous year, rising from HUF 140 billion from HUF 101.6 billion.

Drug abuse increased 20%, hooliganism jumped 28%, white-collar crime surged 26% and grievous bodily harm offences rose 10.8%.

While the number of known corruption cases dropped to 481 from 963, latency is still huge as corruption cases statistically accounted for only 0.2% of all registered crimes on average during the past two decades."

[Source BBJ]

The complete document as published by the prosecutors office can be found here though it is in Hungarian.

Again, this reiterates the point that you should research an area before buying there.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:12 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

My cousin who lives just outside Budapest has reported an increase in petty thefts from roma, to a point now that they cannot leave anything out in the garden what so ever, despite having 7ft fencing. Roma have been the scurge of their lives for years.

They are to Hungarians what the pikeys are to us in the UK
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Please refrain from sweeping generalisations. There are many well integrated and successful Roma in Hungary as well as others who are impoverished but do not resort to crime. Some of our friends here are Roma and then there are villages we would not recommend because of the social problems caused by Roma who are living there. It is not the fact that they are Roma as this thread has stated so I won't go over it again.

As for your comment on Pikeys, you can not generalise nor speak for the whole of the UK.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:23 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Not getting into it with you. The situaction is what it is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.