Hungarian Roma

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:16 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Roma

Hi Rural,

I skyped édes anyós (my mother in law) this morning & she reminded me that the best market day in Tapolca is on a Friday, early. She did suggest though that now was a very bad time to visit as there is little local produce in the food market & the Gypsy market is very shrunken in the cold winter months.

They have a lovely covered food & flower market, with a pots and pans and new cloths market extending outside. The Gypsy market used to be an addition to this but it now has its own site off the small ring road. (Still all in walking distance)

The Old Mill (now Hotel Gabriella) and the small warm water lake right in the centre of Tapolca are very beautiful. In the spring, summer & autumn one can sit with a coffee outside the Gabriella & enjoy a great atmosphere.

I would recommend Lesenceistvand without hesitation. It is not a particularly well manicured village but the community feel is good. To be honest, the Church could do with a paint but there is a strong congregation judging by the movement of people past our little house on a Sunday morning. A keen group have encouraged a successful local football team. They built themselves a new well drained pitch some years back. It was funded to a large extent I believe by local people. We used to pay our “football contribution” to the local publican on each visit but no longer as it is all up & running. The Falunap on the first Saturday can be great fun, but we have missed the last two years.

There seems to be a mix of employment & certainly some unemployment. Some work in agriculture but the majority don’t. Some commute to Sumeg, Tapolca or even further afield to work & others work in the building trades. Skilled contractors are respected members of the community who seem to have a good, if not easy, life style.

There are two shops & two pubs at the last count. (one pub is a good deal scruffier than the other as is often the way & not recommended) There is a community centre with an internet point and I believe there is a small Library but I haven’t been as I can’t read Hungarian, yet! Buses run often to the nearby town of Tapolca & elsewhere.

Lesenceistvand has a main road but allot behind & extends up the side of a hill. Though this part is more difficult to get to, the views are stunning.

For anyone with an interest check out www.lesenceistvand.hu, the galėria.

Enough selling!

Rural, we have been through Varvolgy a number of times when driving the back county route to Keszthely. I shouldn’t judge as I don’t know enough, but it hasn’t a nice feel.

All the best

Old Feb 8th 2011, 6:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, a couple of minutes of my own to reply!

Thanks for the information John, will definitely make it over there sometime.
Varvolgy is quite a nice village though Zalazsanto, in my opinion, is nicer - especially if you have a house up towards the church where the views are simply stunning. Rezi is another nice village, again, if you are lucky to buy a house with views, it takes some beating. The problem for many Brits (who end up buying in "the wrong" village) is that solid properties for renovation in the villages mentioned above, are difficult to find below £20-30,000 and renovated below £45-60,000 especially if they have views. A lot of buyers are looking for renovation properties costing between £5-15,000 or renovated between £20-30,000, when an agent offers them a house which is 10 minutes from the lake with a large piece of land for £12,000 - they can't believe how lucky they are.

Looking at the pictures of your village, it looks quite similar to ours, though ours is smaller.

After you said about the church, library etc I had a good look at ours. Now I personally would class my village as quite poor, granted it is "on the up" now having several German new builds and renovated properties but it also has a fair share of "poor" looking houses with some of them looking decidedly scruffy - nothing that a coat of paint wouldn't solve but definitely scruffy and giving the wrong impression of the Hungarians living in them - who are poor but wonderful people. However, since we have been here, the mayors office (newly built), the church and the village hall are immaculately kept. We have two shops, one pub (only open one day a week), a caravan site and a small wildlife park. We have Hungarians, Roma, Germans, Austrians and Brits living in the village. We also have a mix of employment and unemployment, some are farmers and we have policemen, electricians, office and factory workers. Yet, compared to other villages in the area (nearer Zalakaros) ours would be classed as "poorish". So, as previously concluded, I don't think poverty is the defining factor.

I just hope that future buyers read this and take the time to investigate the village in which they buy. Just because it's 10 minutes from the lake or has other British residents, doesn't mean there are not issues.

A few photos from our village: mayors office, caravan park, church, festival and wildlife park

Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

This is a really interesting post and informative for a 'Brit' like me who bought a property with land not that far from the lake at a good price. We bought in a town and I note that its local equivalent of a council has Roma representation, which I am assuming is a good thing. The road we bought down looks very well looked after and the houses are big. I should think that when we move into our caravan in our garden with our Jack Russell tearing up the yard whilst we renovate - we will be the ones that are letting the area down

On a more sombre note, I agree that it was certainly not something we thought about when buying the property as there were a million and one other things that we were thinking of. We shall have to wait and see...
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polgardi, it may be my scepticism but I have often questioned the "Roma Minority Governments" and wondered if there were a financial incentive for towns and villages to set them up. That said, I have witnessed some which have aided and encouraged Roma culture and integration though many others appear to be in name only. I am sure you will be fine. Not that I know your area but it appears you were lucky and bought in an area which is more affluent than many of the Southern villages. There are particular villages which have issues and they tend to be within a certain area but so as not to upset anyone, I am not going to name them.

It is difficult as it is not Roma nor poverty which create a village or town with issues, more a mix of poverty and the attitude of the people within the village with regards to integration.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

tonydilihaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Polgardi, it may be my scepticism but I have often questioned the "Roma Minority Governments" and wondered if there were a financial incentive for towns and villages to set them up. That said, I have witnessed some which have aided and encouraged Roma culture and integration though many others appear to be in name only. I am sure you will be fine. Not that I know your area but it appears you were lucky and bought in an area which is more affluent than many of the Southern villages. There are particular villages which have issues and they tend to be within a certain area but so as not to upset anyone, I am not going to name them.

It is difficult as it is not Roma nor poverty which create a village or town with issues, more a mix of poverty and the attitude of the people within the village with regards to integration.
I live in Szentgyorgyvolgy, just to the west of Lenti. It's got a pub and a shop and the mayor's office is well kept. No roma problems here.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know what the people/villages are like in the Gödőlő area, Roma-wise? With the new M30 into Bp it could be a good area to live if one works in the city.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Tony, perhaps best to ask if anyone knows what crime is like in the area as there are also areas with anti-social Hungarians, other minorities and indeed Brits!
Do you mean Gödöllő? If so, you would have to research well as there are many ethnic minorities living in the area, Roma, Serbians, Ukrainians and Germans to name but a few. Best bet is to visit the area, speak with the locals and the local police with regards to crime and anti-social behaviour.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! sorry I spelt the town name wrong.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:31 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

LOL, not a problem, I only knew where you meant as the town has a good fencing team.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

be an interesting world if we all carried swords on our belts like 200 years ago
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

Goodmorning everyone, I am quite new to the forum and have only just read through this thread; and wanted to say `thankyou` for the info. We will be visiting in a few months to look to buy property, and although we think, at this stage, we may have decided on a few areas, (i.e. villages/small town...from Heviz down) I am more aware now of potential problems. Fortunately we are retired and can take our time. Basically, we don`t care what nationally or group we share our surroundings with, as long as there isn`t ....`trouble` Also, as mentioned, an agent would not be keen on giving out details of problems. Location,location,location.....Research,research,r esearch.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:18 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Did I read somewhere last year, that there has been some group who, for some reason are shooting Roma.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Evie2, you are fortunate that you can spend time here as you will get to know the area and through visiting the villages and speaking to others, hopefully you can make a informed purchase.

Anonimouse - yes, sadly 12-18 months ago there was a spate of violence in several areas to the East (I believe) of Budapest. However, violence and racial hatred occurs on a daily basis in many areas, the aforementioned cases made headline news because lives were lost and it became apparent that they were planned attacks, not isolated incidents. At first the Magyar Garda were suspected but I think this has been subsequently disproven.

Again, I reiterate the fact that anyone buying in "any country" or "area" that they have no knowledge of, should thoroughly do their research. If you have a particular village in mind, PM me and I will help if I can.

I say this on the back of having discovered a clients house has been broken into for the second time.
At the police station my husband was asked who he thought had done it, basically it was "implied" without saying so, that it was Roma. However, the police translator - once out of earshot of the police - was less diplomatic and stated that my husband knew who it was, it was "the filthy, dirty, stinking gypsies", this was said twice for emphasis. Now in this instance, we do have a couple of suspects and both of them are Roma, however, it is not the fact that they are Roma, it is that the village is in a "bad area" and so my husband responded as such, to which the translator replied "yes, it's not bad it's a terrible area". Surely that would have been a better way to convey his feelings to begin with?

To most Hungarians, Roma are Roma and they are all bad - though I suppose this opinion is also fostered by many Europeans.

So again, this is not a "Roma" problem, this is a problem of crime within socially and economically disadvantaged areas, as you will find in every other country, just ensure you know what sort of village you are buying in - just because it has a village green, trees, flowers and looks "quaint" does not mean it is akin to your stereotypical British village!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I don't have an answer for the current situation but this is definitely not it

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...243552176.html
Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Stomalomalus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Well here is my first post, and it is strangely here...

I am moving to Budapest as soon as I find a job, but have the envious position of a Hungarian girlfriend to help with everything

On gypsies, I lived in Romania for a while, on a road with a few gypsy families, and I had one experience with them.

One day I was alone and went to the shop to get bread, toilet paper and juice. I got a cheap juice, because I would trust that in England...

I got back, and my gate wouldn't open (I fixed it later), so I hurled the bread and paper over the gate, and placed the juice under the window, jumped the gate, opened the door, walked through to the window, jumped out, and the carton was gone, with the voices of the gypsy kids retreating...

Little did I know that they had done me a big favour . I bought the same juice again, and it was foul, including a banned colourant

Anyway, my personal experience with European gypsies is mixed, as with any peoples. There are good and bad everywhere, and one of those groups will be under-represented, in this case the good.

I wanted to ask too, I am constantly told that they chose the name "gypsy" for themselves, and that Roma is a westernism that gives some kind of mythical meaning to them...

They also provoked one of the only agreeable things that Romanian president Bucescu has said, namely that, if Europe wanted Romania, they had to want all their citizens, so the gypsies were their problem now. Shows the naivety of the EU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.