Reload this Page >

Hungarian Residency Card

Hungarian Residency Card

Old Aug 27th 2016, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hungarian Residency Card

Hi,

My wife is non-EU and recently got her Hungarian residency card (as the family member of an EU citizen).

I hear people in other countries talk about the different or changing status of their residency card/permit, eg. temporary, permanent, stamp 4, etc.

Can anyone advise how it works in Hungary?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Residency Card

Originally Posted by rickster000
Hi,

My wife is non-EU and recently got her Hungarian residency card (as the family member of an EU citizen).
Sneaked in before Brexit then !!
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Sneaked in before Brexit then !!
Plenty of time
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this too.

The 'residency' card (as I understand it) which most expats get is not exactly a residency card, it is more a 'permission to be here card' i.e. it does not give you citizenship rights.

I heard that once you had this card for 5 years you could 'upgrade'...I have no idea what to...perhaps someone can enlighten me :-)
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this too.

The 'residency' card (as I understand it) which most expats get is not exactly a residency card, it is more a 'permission to be here card' i.e. it does not give you citizenship rights.

I heard that once you had this card for 5 years you could 'upgrade'...I have no idea what to...perhaps someone can enlighten me :-)
Just to clarify I, as an EU citizen (for now), got the 'permission to be here' card you mention. My wife got one of these too. But, as she is non-EU she also got an additional Residency Card.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Just to clarify I, as an EU citizen (for now), got the 'permission to be here' card you mention. My wife got one of these too. But, as she is non-EU she also got an additional Residency Card.
Interesting. Is it one with the photo? I know there are different rules, but I am not sure how they apply and for how long. I am sure someone will be along soon to clarify :-)
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Interesting. Is it one with the photo? I know there are different rules, but I am not sure how they apply and for how long. I am sure someone will be along soon to clarify :-)
Yes her RC has a photo.

Edit -

Just having a look at the RC, it expires in 5 years.

So I guess that's that until then.

I think I have answered my own question. In the short term at least.

Last edited by rickster000; Aug 28th 2016 at 11:13 am.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes her RC has a photo.

Edit -

Just having a look at the RC, it expires in 5 years.

So I guess that's that until then.

I think I have answered my own question. In the short term at least.
Is that your RC or your wife's RC which expires in 5 years? I cannot see an expiry date on mine
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Is that your RC or your wife's RC which expires in 5 years? I cannot see an expiry date on mine
Only my wife's.

As you mentioned, the card provided to us EU citizens isn't really a RC. Hers however is an actual RC.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the EU citizens card doesn't really expire. Although you should notify them of changes (address) or if you decide to leave.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Only my wife's.

As you mentioned, the card provided to us EU citizens isn't really a RC. Hers however is an actual RC.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the EU citizens card doesn't really expire. Although you should notify them of changes (address) or if you decide to leave.
Thanks. It can get quite confusing...and with the whole Brexit business throwing a spanner into the works I keep on hearing different things from different people. :-)
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. It can get quite confusing...and with the whole Brexit business throwing a spanner into the works I keep on hearing different things from different people. :-)
Life would be boring if it was all plain sailing.

So they say
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Griffphil is an unknown quantity at this point

Also can I ask if anyone clarify how best to satisfy the RC requirement for 'medical insurance'. As a UK citizen I don't have a private medical insurance relying on the good old NHS and the E111 when in Europe. I looked into global medical cover but could only get it for the whole year and the cost was prohibitive. We will be spending 2 weeks in every 8 in Hungary.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Griffphil
Also can I ask if anyone clarify how best to satisfy the RC requirement for 'medical insurance'. As a UK citizen I don't have a private medical insurance relying on the good old NHS and the E111 when in Europe. I looked into global medical cover but could only get it for the whole year and the cost was prohibitive. We will be spending 2 weeks in every 8 in Hungary.
For a UK citizen the E111 satisfies this requirement.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

For a UK citizen the E111 satisfies this requirement.
Yes - But Brexit - watch this space
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Are the plans for mass deportations already under way ?